1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

His ogling is canceling what he says or tries to do

Discussion in 'Rebooting in a Relationship' started by Deleted Account, Jun 16, 2017.

1. GG2002

GG2002 Fapstronaut

I think that a SO could be agreeable to saying when she sees him ogling in a calm voice you are doing it again like pointing out when it's happening in a calm way and hopefully overtime he becomes conscious of it himself. But if you read the comments of most SO the problem is they don't they just keep doing it and saying they are not and so the SO attempting to help is not helpful at all. A thread I see running through of a lot of posts of SO is that we do give understanding we do try to help but when no change occurs at all we cannot be expected to continue. If you are a man in recovery being accused of ogling the best thing you can do is not respond defensively not deny it but validate the partners feelings and tell them you will try to stop and then actually try!

Bel and sparkywantsnoPMO like this.
  2. Drew140

Drew140 Guest

Trying is not the same as doing. Accountability for actions of lack of actions.

3. sparkywantsnoPMO

sparkywantsnoPMO NoFap Moderator & Yeoman

Accountability is key. Progress, not perfection is also I think a tenet of recovery.

Deleted Account, Bel and GG2002 like this.
  4. sparkywantsnoPMO

sparkywantsnoPMO NoFap Moderator & Yeoman

I like that line of this. Whatever it takes for this couple to build a path to work together on this recovery gives a good chance of success, as well as growth together.

Deleted Account, Bel and GG2002 like this.
  5. Kenzi

Kenzi Fapstronaut

My SO, the last time he seriously ogled.... I asked a question he simply Could Not answer and it bothered him to a point that he paid so much attention to his behavior he Changed it.
    He asked the same questions your SO has been asking and saying, that he did not "feel it" etc and it wasn't happening, I was "crazy"
    I had to be incredibly calm.

This is what happened.
    The neighbor had a friend over and we were outside gardening.
    Mr Rubber neck stopped and watched the convertible pull in, blonde driving and he Stopped cold.
    (like I wouldnt notice)
    -he about walked into the car in the driveway btw-
    She got out, flipped her hair, bent over for her purse, stood talking on her cell a second.. And then walked into the next house.
    Took a couple of minutes.
    I shouted at my SO when she was a little bit away, "don't be the creepy neighbor!"
    "what, I um wasn't" (yeah right)
    *rolls eyes internally*
    "ok then...
    ."When did she get out of the car"?
    Cuz she was gone.
    (he loves to say what he was looking at, Was the car)
    He couldnt answer me.
    I said, "yeah do realize that a different song is playing on the radio?"
    Again, he couldn't answer (the song was almost over.
    That's how long he'd been 'out'
    I told him exactly what happened.
    It was alot for him to process.
    He thought he only glanced at her for a few seconds.
    He Knew she was there.
    About 5 minutes had went by.
    He NEEDED to start paying attention in a way he never knew he needed to.

This was his game changer.
    This one girl.
    If I Ever see her next door again, I'm going to shake her hand.
    No joke.
    :)

In the same respect, it sucks because my SO truly thought this was something he wasn't doing.
    I had to outsmart him.
    Show without a doubt, You Are doing this.
    And in our case, it was timing.
    But it was inarguable.
    He's doing alot better now.
    His own brain can't argue with being presented with the gap itself.
    I hope you have your own revolutionary moment?
    I hope that sounds right.
    I'm still drinking coffee.
    I'm a coffee bug.

SpouseofPA, Bel, samnf1990 and 2 others like this.
  6. Thank you so much for putting so much effort in supporting us. That's what we need, and that's what we're here for. Your suggestions are very much welcome and they are very... considerate. You are trying to help both of us, and that's what is very much needed and appreciated.
    I know my posts sound angry sometimes. Well, I am angry sometimes. I need as much healing as he does, if not more. All the past traumas are being magnified by this situation we're in right now. So far we have survived 4 agonizing months after the D-day (and many more D-days afterwards). There is not one day that our life is not affected by this.
    We have also learned so much withing those past 4 months. I doubt I would seek healing for myself if it were not for this new trauma, and that's a good thing. He, on the other hand, well... he can speak for himself ;-)
    Anyways, we have bad days, and we even have an occasional good day. I am still hopeful and I know he is too.

Bel and sparkywantsnoPMO like this.
  7. AlexDHRO

AlexDHRO Fapstronaut

I am a 32 single guy who ogles (i never knew that word till now). I catch myself doing it and i don't like it. I try to look away as it happens, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. My sight is immediately drawn by the look of somewhat good looking women, no matter the age. I particularly resent it when its really young girls. I feel like i have no control over it and its not doing me any good. I feel like maybe its a symptom of loneliness. I used to do it when i was in a relationship too. She was very judging and trying to impose her views of what a boyfriend should be on me all the time. You mentioned about how your husband is trying to get a glimpse if you are checking him out and that he looks resentful. That is how i used to feel with my ex, like she hated my guts for my shortcomings. Im not a wonderful example of a man, but im not a horrible person either. I try to be aware of my flaws as best i can and correct them, and i feel lonely an alienated when close ones don't support me in that, but instead judge me. Try to look at your husband as less of a villain an more like a suffering person.
    Hope this helps a little.

triptiptop, Bel, samnf1990 and 2 others like this.
  8. tundycat

tundycat New Fapstronaut

Damn, i'm here reading through all of this nearly 7 years after the last post was made and wondering what has become of this couple... coincidentally i met my SO in Aug 2017 which is just one month after the last post was made, and we find ourselves in a similar situation (I am the SA who can't stop ogling...) - anyway I hope you are all well and I found some of the responses along the way somewhat helpful. I guess I will continue trawling through this site looking for answers/suggestions, and I pray that I can kick this behaviour as it is causing both of us (my SO especially) a lot of pain and anguish :(

kropo82 likes this.
  9. kropo82

kropo82 Fapstronaut

For a while I kept a list of useful threads about this in one of my journal posts (here). It's out-of-date now but you may find useful stuff. It was a probelm I faced too, but I'm more-or-less over that now.

KevinesKay likes this.