1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Help with self discipline and getting out of bed

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Extremity333, Jan 23, 2017.

1. So I've identified what now seems pretty obvious. I am, and have been for as long as I can remember, lazy. I have trouble getting out of bed in the morning if there's no set event or class to get out of bed for. And even then I usually get up with barely enough time to get ready without rushing.

Establishing a morning routine seems was the obvious solution but as many as I've come up with, when the morning comes around staying in bed becomes the far more attractive choice. I've even done the 'set your alarm on your phone and leave it the other side of the room' thing. But that ends up with me getting out of bed, switching the alarm off and going straight back to bed usually with my phone which causes me to reset (this happened this morning too).

So my questions are, do you have any advice? Are you struggling with something similar? What can you suggest that might help with self discipline and beating laziness?

many thanks

philossaurus and Dziki007 like this.
  2. philossaurus

philossaurus New Fapstronaut

I was struggling with it, but now i'm way better in that aspect. i wake up early and feel better in the morning.

The mourning routine will begin with a good sleeping routine imo. You'll not be able to get up in the morning and feel ready for the day if you haven't slept enough.

What i did was estabilish things to do after getting off bed. So everyday i wake up, eat my breakfest and go for a run. 30 min. later i am back and ready for the day. Also, don't allow yourself to get lazy in the first days, you'll not feel motivated to get out of bed and do something right away, so you gotta force yourself through it in the beginning, cause whatever activity you picked in the morning can be the same reason why you'll stay in bed.

Extremity333 and Aiyoshi like this.
  3. Aiyoshi

Aiyoshi Fapstronaut

Have you tried commitment?

It's an easy way to get stuff done that everybody uses, the 90 days reboot or 30 days of cold showers are great examples. It builds alot of self-discipline since now it's a matter of sticking to this challenge for the next 30 days.
    Give it a try, would see how much easier it becomes. Good luck.

4. Pepper M.

Pepper M. Fapstronaut

If you ready to make a serious change, I highly recommend the book "Miracle Morning" by Hal Elrod. It's an easy read, and the concept is simple, but I found that even taking even just a few of the suggestions in the book helped me tremendously with my morning issues. There are also plenty of videos and articles about this concept if you don't want to read the whole book. Keep us posted on how it goes!

Extremity333 likes this.
  5. Is this the name of some kind of challenge or programme? Or are you literally asking if I've tried sticking to any plans that I've made? Because the lack of self-discipline is the core reason that I've not successfully committed to achieving my goals.

6. I used to be like that in my early 20's. I found that when I started working out 4-5 days per week I would sleep better and wake up naturally and refreshed, very early too! I also use melatonin to help me sleep at night.

For me, I was working at the time and lazy was not excuse to be late. So I had to figure out a quick way to get my ass moving in the morning or lose my job. Getting into fitness was worth a shot; it really changed my life and the way I feel in general.

You also have to have a clear vision of what you want to achieve and why. Without a plan, it's like driving across the country without a GPS or map. You'll never get there and if you do it will take a very long time.

Hope this helps.

7. Aiyoshi

Aiyoshi Fapstronaut

Yes, it's self-discipline, commiting to things like a challenge helps a lot.

8. At some point you're just going to have to be the change. Sure you can put your phone and alarm on the other end of the room, you can maybe set your phone in a completely different room, and you can make a sign that says stay up next to your alarm as a reminder. You can do all of these great things, but if you're not going to be resolved to actually make this change a priority in your life, then nothing will help you. Sometimes there is no amazing technique. You just have to suck it up buttercup. Not trying to be an ass, just speaking from personal experience when it comes to getting out of bed.

Extremity333 and Aiyoshi like this.