1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Have you ever wondered . . .

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by tweeby, Jul 19, 2018.

1. tweeby

tweeby Banned

So today I was thinking about this the other day, but have you ever wondered if they got the whole time thing wrong.

For example, consider how freaking complicated the year is. There are 12 months to a year, each month have different days, all falling on different days, with leap years and time zone corrections.

What if the year was actually comprised of 13 months instead of 12 at each month being 28 days (which is nature's actual standard - thinks women's ovulation cycle etc)

28 x 13 = 364 (leaving one erroneous day which can simply be cancelled out)

Each month will have exactly 28 days all falling on the same day, so for example the 1st might always fall on Monday or whatevs.

Am I just crazy?

2. It's sort of tough to get time right or wrong when it's all basically man made.

3. tweeby

tweeby Banned

Most concepts are, even our number system, but it just makes you wonder.

4. I think man made time to correspond with the sun. So 24 hours in a day, the sun sets/sun rises. They measured the earth rotating and made time to organize things better.

The specific days in a month thing corresponds w/ how the earth revolves around the sun and different seasons. Every 365 days, spring begins.

And so I wouldn't say the time is right or wrong, it just is what was made.

SolitaryScribe likes this.
  5. They may have. Keep in mind that theres more than one calendar system. There are supposedly many ancient cultures with calendar systems that are more accurate with no leap years.

6. Oh they definitely got the number system wrong. It should've been everyone else that flunked math. Not me.

Moon Shot and Deleted Account like this.
  7. SanSolo

SanSolo Fapstronaut

No.

I believe it has something do with astronomy, as far as the year calendar is concerned. The Earths rotation (days) and orbit of the sun (year) are not in perfect sync. It takes something like 365.25 "days" for the Earth to make one orbit of the sun. The leap year is a correction that keeps the seasons, spring, summer ect, aligned with the calendar year. If they didn't make this correction then after a few centuries you would have winter starting in mid September, or something like that.

8. Are calendar system is based on the roman calendar which has changed a lot of the years. It had different numbers of months and days and it was revised 3 or 4 times. Still, i dont see much logic in the end outcome. The days of the year are based on the time it takes the earth to revolve around the sun and months have something to do with the moon, so i guess after that they randomly picked days...beats me ;)

9. Someone once told me space and time are the same thing. Also you need to go 88 mph and generate 1.21 gigawatts to travel through it properly. I think that if there were 13 months in a year Jason Voorhees would use the time machine in month 13 to come back to the future and kill campers. Probably best to stick to the standard 14 month year, like we have now.

Gotham Outlaw likes this.
  10. Gotham Outlaw

Gotham Outlaw Fapstronaut

We can always call Freddy for help.

Deleted Account likes this.
  11. Gotham Outlaw

Gotham Outlaw Fapstronaut

I never thought of it like that. Now I'm going to be up all night questioning my reality.

12. tweeby

tweeby Banned

Welcome to ma world brah.