1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Have I been over trained by myself?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by New Challenger, Jun 15, 2019.

1. New Challenger

New Challenger Fapstronaut

I have begun doing daily running since later 2017. In the last two months I have started to run 10km per day because an online post about a 30 days 1 hour daily exercise challenge a lady has taken has motivated me to try the challenge. If someone can do it, I can too! And I succeed! But once I have finally reached day 30 I chose not to stop because I want to see how far I could get to, therefore I continued the 1 hour per day training. However in the last 2 weeks, I found my sleep pattern has changed, I always wake up at night 3 hours after I went to bed. Then no matter how hard I tried to force myself to back to sleep I will stay awake for 1 or 2 hours until I feel the need to sleep again. I usually ended up having only 4-5 hours sleep each night recently. I doubt that this maybe due to the large volume of exercise I have done each day. I would therefore reduce the workload back to 40-45 mins per day since today to see if things would get better, otherwise I would need to see my GP for this issue since lacking sleep really has put way too much unnecessary pressure on my daily life.

2. properWood

properWood Fapstronaut

Alert: speculation.

I remember either reading or seeing in a documentary about the circadian rhythm that our assumption of 8 hours straight sleep is not correct and that the correct rhythm is early sleep + wake up + late sleep. What you describe, for example, I experience regularly, but definitely not always. If I go to bed, say, at 11pm, I wake up at 2am (3 hours sleep) and my brain is active. I resort to reading a few pages of a book, one hour max, and then go to second sleep stage, from roughly 3am to about 6am or 7:30am. Give or take, could be more or less. 3 hours of sleep is two rem episodes, 4.5 hours of sleep is about three rem episodes.

I'd say that as long as you feel refreshed in the morning, I'd not consider it a problem. If, however, you sleep 8 hours straight, no dreams and wake up tired, then that's a problem.

Again, speculation at this point, but you motivated me to look up the research.

New Challenger likes this.