Good Habbits - wanted dead or alive (for a student)

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Chace Fulton, Jul 17, 2019.

1. Chace Fulton

Chace Fulton Fapstronaut

Hey)
    There are a lot of habbits intended to improve our lives. But!
    The thing is, that not every last one of them are useful, or not useful exactly for a student, they are placed all over the Web and so on.
    So I'm going to make a list of things I think I should implement in my life, maybe it will be useful for others or maybe you will help me writing some things in it.
    Also maybe there will be some basic concepts to be followed, so...
    Let it begin!

Xispara likes this.
  2. Chace Fulton

Chace Fulton Fapstronaut

Rules (I count them haha get it?):
    1) Never try to implement all the habbits in one day. Make it sequentially.
    2) Don't make a list of 100500+ things to do for a day that you can't simply do in one day. Sounds obvious, but yet, sometimes we just don't think about it.
    3) Don't feel the guilt of not completing everything. See why it didn't work, correct the plan.

That's all, for now, I guess :)

3. Chace Fulton

Chace Fulton Fapstronaut

Habbits:
    1) Drink 8+ glasses of water. (Will keep you awake if needed and will give you more energy)
    2) Don't forget about workouts (3-4 times a week. I guess it's okay to make not intensive workouts (10 min) but every other day will be okay for a noob like me)
    3) Sleep: 11 pm; Wake up: 7:20 am (I hope I wrote right timetable heh. In my region it sounds like 23:00 and 07:20 in a 24 hour day cycle). Don't loose your sleep if you couldn't make all of your plan during the day!
    - don't forget morning and evening routines. (For me it includes reading and other things you want to do before bed and after waking up)
    4) Added by you: try Yoga. It will help you to balance your body and soul. You may also hit the gym.
    5) Plan your day in the morning for 5 min. In the evening check your plans and write down why you didn't do that task. (if you haven't done something)
    - Last thing (abt writing why) will really kick you to get things done, don't hesitate on that one.
    - During the day write down somewhere all the things that needed to be done other days. Forget about them till the next morning and add them when time has come to your calendar. (So you don't have to worry all the day about your future plans but only in the morning)
    6) Added by you: meditation (you will get the benefits later, after consistent dedication)
    7) Added by you: eat healthy. Remember, it's only for energy, not satisfaction. Don't skip meals. (!)
    8) Get everything done by 7:00 pm, as at this time your focus starts to fade immediately. Finish everything half an hour before sleep.
    9) It might be very good if you make a routine before/after classes (like: for an hour from 5:00 pm to 6:00 pm I study math) for every day. You have at least 5 very productive hours (not much, but at least something!) and accomplished task makes it easier to start other tasks.
    10) On the way from one place to another (example, in a metro), you can try to do some easy yet "positive" tasks, such as meditation or reading.
    _
    I will add things here later. And you can help me adding things to this list. I really appreciate it!
    Have a nice day! :)

Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
    RedAppleAle likes this.
  4. properWood

properWood Fapstronaut

Sounds interesting to me! Seems quite some pressure and with focus more on the physical than the spiritual.

4) How about yoga? Yoga simply means practice and in it's true form is used to get the mind in touch with the bodily sensations.

5) From personal experience, planning the day in the previous evening has a therapeutic effect of clearing the mind of stresses and reduces insomnia; insomnia is triggered by thoughts and worries that we didn't acknowledge during the day. I tend to plan some things also on a weekly basis, for example the clothing for the entire week (day1, day2 etc.) on Saturday, so that in the mornings I don't spend time hunting socks.

Finally, I do long walks, read, take long baths, journal emotions.

However, I don't have a super strict schedule on habit level, meaning that I have morning and evening routines that combine some of the habits, but not all of them in one evening or not in a specific sequence. My general schedule (still find it difficult to stick to though, failing often) is:

22:00 - 06:00 -> sleep
    06:00 - 08:30 -> morning routine, fixed parts (grooming), variable parts (any of: yoga - new!, journaling, gym)
    08:30 - 18:00 -> work (incl. commute and lunch)
    18:00 - 20:00 -> leisure time - hobbies, dinner (alone or with friends)
    20:00 - 22:00 -> evening routine, fixed parts (grooming, plan next day), variable parts (any of: reading, bath, long walk, journaling)

Since I don't work on weekends, the work part is divided into activities that help me:
    a) Saturday: avoid spend unnecessary time during the week -> washing, ironing and preparing clothes, cleaning the flat, groceries for the week, budgeting etc.
    b) Sunday: forget the notion of time -> time unrestricted drives along rivers or bike rides in forests, stopping here and there for self-reflection and connection with nature

My schedule is less focused on the physical part, more on the spiritual part; it looks like I'm a very lonely person haha

Since now I'm out of work for about 2 months, I'll work on strengthening my morning routine, as that's where I fail most of the time. Evenings are a breeze, unless I forget my ass in front of the PC writing on this forum :D

Keep it up! :)

Chace Fulton likes this.
  5. Chace Fulton

Chace Fulton Fapstronaut

Thank you for such a big post!
    Always wanted to try Yoga, although never worked on it seriously. But the exercise I use to make my spine a little more straight was kind of Yoga, I think.
    Guess time has come to dive in Yoga)
    Don't like to get up early, bcs if I do, I will be just imitating life lika a zombie before I need to go to university at 8:00 am (it's summer right now, but I think for the future :D). That's why I made myself a short time to do the most important and immediately start to run, that also helps me to wake up.
    Agreed, I quite forgot about becoming better mentally. I wanted to add some habbits on it later, because this sphere needs a proper research (there are some strange things that don't help and strange things that actually help). In the nearest future will make it :)

Thank you again!

6. lolos

lolos Fapstronaut

Sleep properly
    Eat properly
    Go to the gym. Do a proper weightlifting routine that is focused on getting you stronger
    Meditate
    Cold shower
    Read
    Journal

These are listed in order of importance. First 3 should come above pretty much all else in life. The rest are not so important, except meditation. Anything that isn't on this list probably isn't going to be very useful. Do these things consistently and you will se huge imrpovements in your life.

Chace Fulton likes this.
  7. Chace Fulton

Chace Fulton Fapstronaut

Thank you for your reply!
    I am at the university now and I just study most time, so I can't really pay for the gym. This is the main reason I don't go to there (others are: don't have so much time (I'm not a good student and it's hard to become one right now. 2 hours for a gym (time for a way there and back included) means too much time at the moment); think I'll start going to gym later, as I graduate from uni)
    Didn't get much benefits from meditation, but I guess it's because I didn't do that for long enough. Also wanted to add it later :)

Thank you for your response again!

8. lolos

lolos Fapstronaut

brother there is always time for the gym, you just have to make time. I'm a student as well, I have uni 5 days a week with 4 or 5 classes each day but I still go to the gym 4 times a week. Get a part time job if you can't afford the gym, or ask your parents for some money. Going to the gym will drastically improve every area of your life, it's worth it.

Chace Fulton likes this.
  9. Chace Fulton

Chace Fulton Fapstronaut

If you say so, I will try to implement it somehow)
    Actually I already found a good place nearby where I can go, so it might not be a problem)

10. Fox119

Fox119 Fapstronaut

I like your firm goal of becoming a better student! It's great that you're doing research about how to do habits before starting them. Often people will implement too many habits at the same time. Here's some advice: Try sleeping at 21:40, sleeping at 22:00 doesn't account for the 20 minutes on average it takes someone to fall asleep. Also, a meditation app like Headspace is great if you can afford it! They have meditation courses about stress, anxiety, and focus. As a student, I saw an improvement in my work after using this app. I'm not sure if you can afford it though. I have 1 free month, if you want, I'll give it to you!

Most importantly though, watch your sleep. I'm on that same journey as you to become a good student. I'm not so sure about "best" anymore because I'm not sure if that title would be worth the work, (at least in my opinion.) Anyways, sleep is vital, sleep is what makes you learn, I slept for four to five hours at one point for 5 days in a row when I was trying my absolute hardest. It's not somewhere anyone should ever go to, life becomes a living nightmare. Be sure to sleep properly. Also if your interested in learning, this guy called Jim Kwik could help you out. He shows how to add more hours to your day by giving you methods to learn and retain more stuff faster. He really stresses this key idea that a healthy lifestyle can add hours to your day, especially sleep, his number 1# rule is to get enough sleep. I have an unlisted video from him that not many people have the link to, here it is:

(This is a special link because you can control the video unlike in the Masterclass.)
    Here's the workbook: https://s82.mindvalley.us/mindvalle...a_super_memory_jim_kwik_evergreen_upd_nov.pdf
    Here's the link to the Masterclass website: https://bit.ly/2JPFG1o (It was a long link so I shortened it for you.)

Sinbad and Chace Fulton like this.
  11. Awedouble

Awedouble Fapstronaut

Synchronize your habits with natures habits. (like the sun) This means timing rather than just repetition, or repetition based on a measuring instrument like the clock. BTW it also relates to sleep in a more specific way because it relates to light//dark cycles which already exist as sunlight and sunset times. When people mention times only it just tells me they haven't discovered this basic fact yet.

Chace Fulton likes this.
  12. Chace Fulton

Chace Fulton Fapstronaut

Thank you so musch for this post!
    If I will be one of the best students, I will have opportunities in the future to get a good job (and other things) and will be able to start studying for free (there is option to convert if you are studying well enough and there are free places).
    I remember even trying those Everyman's sleep schedules but really soon felt like a total zombie))
    I will watch the video a bit later)
    Also started to read "How to become a straigh-A student" by Cal Newport. It promises less time spent on studying yet high scores. Maybe you will be interested in it too)
    Thank you again for your help! Really gives hope :)

Fox119 likes this.
  13. Chace Fulton

Chace Fulton Fapstronaut

Oh. I really forget about the illusion of time measurement humanity made trying to understand it's flow. Yet you can't really act free when you have specific time you need to go there, do that, so I really forget abt that bcs don't know how to use this knowledge in circumstances of mine properly.
    Anyway, thank you for reminding me this)

14. Awedouble

Awedouble Fapstronaut

And of course the way our society is set up doesn't support that very well, for example there's such a thing as social jet lag - it's as simple as having a different schedule on the weekends because you work Monday through Friday, and probably don't sleep well so you end up sleeping in late and staying up later and it's this vicious cycle. The one thing about people on Nofap who may have a less busy social life is you don't even have that peer pressure, so might as well just work on proper sleep hygiene and make that uniform across the board every day.

Chace Fulton likes this.
  15. Chace Fulton

Chace Fulton Fapstronaut

I'll try my best! Thank you)

Awedouble likes this.
  16. Sinbad

Sinbad Fapstronaut

Omg, I just tried brushing my teeth with left hand. That's pretty hard. :D

Fox119 and Chace Fulton like this.
  17. Fox119

Fox119 Fapstronaut

I know, it's crazy! It took me a few days to get used to that.

Sinbad and Chace Fulton like this.
  18. Chace Fulton

Chace Fulton Fapstronaut

Morning routine:
    (Yes, it's an obvious "all-productive-healthy-robotic-routine", yes, you can just keep it in mind and find it useless. But I know for sure that having a plan written down just makes it easier to stick to it, soooo)
    - Open the window and FLY AWAY FROM YOUR BED IT'S BAD NO NO FUFU
    - A glass of water (or maybe two)
    - Breakfast (there you choose, whether you eat now or a little later, just keep in mind you can't go without breakfast)
    - Brush your teeth, wash your face, have another glass of water if needed
    - Compliment yourself (just one word is enough) and make a powerful pose (lol that works a little, helps with confidence, trust me :D)
    - Meditate for 10-15 mins (I use Headspace now, it's a nice thing to start with)
    _
    Don't:
    - Skip breakfast, eat smth unhealthy e.t.c.
    - Stay in bed more than 5 sec
    - Touch your phone
    - Make it all longer than 35-40 minutes
    _
    Additions:
    If you are waking up early in the morning, make it a time just for yourself. Read a book, exercise, or just do smth you really like, so you will have a reason to make things faster to start on doing those)
    Also you can plan your day (5 mins, no more). It depends on how you like it more, maybe you write it before sleep, as it clears your mind from anxiety abt the future, or in the morning, as you make yourself motivated (I prefer the second, bcs in the first case I just start to feel anticipated and just can't go to sleep in time)
    _
    Errr
    Don't think I forgot abt this thread! I almost forgot abt it, and it doesn't count!
    That's all for now, I guess.

Fox119 likes this.
  19. Chace Fulton

Chace Fulton Fapstronaut

Night routine:
    (Have the same description as the previous post. It's childish, but it helps to refer)
    - Make half an hour before sleep time free from any tasks (I made an alarm for this)
    - Brush your teeth, drink a glace of water
    - Air the room
    - Read a book all the remaining time
    _
    Don't:
    - Touch your phone (if you have a chance to use paper books, use it)
    - Think about your past or future. Your future and your past should be left to your future and past self, at least before sleep
    _
    Additions:
    As said before, decide when you like to plan. If you like it at night, then do it now. Plan. And make your worries flow away.
    That's all, I guess.

Fox119 likes this.
  20. Fox119

Fox119 Fapstronaut

It's stuff like this that really shows potential. I'm honestly impressed that you have a "not-to-do list." I didn't figure out about those things until way later on in my journey. On the other hand, maybe you just thought of this. Either way, fantastic job!

Chace Fulton likes this.