1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Getting started on a new journey

Discussion in 'New to NoFap' started by going4gold, Sep 21, 2017.

1. going4gold

going4gold Fapstronaut

I am mature husband, father and grandfather. I have had a very long history of M & P. I have denied for years that it had any effect on the rest of my life but could not deny that any longer.
    My addiction has disrupted my ability to be "present and attentive" to the needs of my loved ones and much more interested in when and where I could get my next opportunity for PMO. My self esteem has been very low. I have been withdrawing from social situations and procrastination is a huge roadblock to getting things done. I would begrudgingly follow through on commitments if I followed through at all.
    My wife is a very loving and caring gal and she deserves the best part of her hubby not the dregs. I am a practicing Catholic but not really a faith full Catholic. I am the product of over 16 years of Catholic education and a frequent attendee at Mass.
    A few weeks ago I was volunteering at church and was having a great time with my wife and interacting with a lot of good people. After a few hours I got up from my chair just feeling very good about myself. It was like when I was a young boy coming out of confession and feeling very wholesome and pure. It was a feeling I have rarely encountered since childhood.
    I turned around and that whole time I had been sitting directly in front of a statue of the Blessed Mother. I smiled and reverently touched the statue as a gesture of gratitude and as an acknowledgement to an old "friend". That was a trigger for me and I started to think about what I was doing to myself and began to seek out sources of help and understanding which led me to this place.
    I started NoFAP on 9/17/17, a Sunday after attending Mass. Please understand I am not a person who promotes religion or god or the Blessed Mother as the answer to everything. I am a regular guy who happened to remember his Catholic heritage and that has been rekindled for me. I am not evangelizing but sharing my story. We will all have different paths but the same goal.
    Not sure where I will end up but confident (I hope not unrealistically) that I can achieve my goal. I stopped drinking and smoking cold turkey and have gotten my weight under control now I need to get my internal goodness restored.

2. Septimus

Septimus Fapstronaut

Welcome! I'm glad you're here. There are lots of Catholics here, so you aren't alone. Keep coming back!