1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Friend who drags me down

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Onehope, Jan 14, 2018.

1. Onehope

Onehope Fapstronaut

I have a best friend and we've known each other since jr high. Hes always been there for me, and at one point he became thin and popular with the ladies. He would tag me along with him during that time just to show off every woman who dig him, and had a makeout session while I sat there like an idiot.

Years passed and he finally settled down with this girl who is his wife now, and through the years he hecame fat again, more so than he was before, and all of a sudden no woman even looks at his direction.

Ever since I turn my life around by starting working out, losing weight, making money on my own, and shown increased confidence of nofap, Ive noticed hes changed with me, and now he mocks me every chance he gets.

And whenever a girl is talking to me, lets say at a bar or whatevet, he cuts in, shows off and makes fun of me.

I have this feeling that he hates to see me become more popular and successful, and its like he wants me to always be beneath him.

I dont get his jealousy, he has a beautiful wife and a lovely baby girl, so why would he envy me? I am single and unemployed.

Any thoughts on this? Should I try and make new friends who instead of dragging me down help me rise up?

Just recently one of my newer friends recommended me for a temp job as a security guard, and my best friend finds small jobs here and there and never helps me out.

I think its time I expand, and possibly move passed him. I love him like my brother, but I can't let him drag me down.

u376 likes this.
  2. Your question is your answer. ;)

3. No matter how long you've known someone, if they're acting childish and rude to you instead of encouraging and helping, it's time to let him go. It sucks to lose someone close to you like that, but if he really is just dragging you down and being a twat because you're bettering yourself unlike him, his own loss honestly.

u376, SilentJay313 and Onehope like this.
  4. For real. This one is a no brainer.

5. watertrine

watertrine Fapstronaut

wow, honestly sounds like not a true friend. You can tell a friend is forreal by their reaction toward your success. Ive let go of so many friendships because of simply outgrowing them, and its such a hard decision especially when youve had them in your life since highschool or even earlier, that always is used as a justification of why to forgive and forget. My best advice is to speak openly about this to him in a calm way and if he shuts you down his ego is more important than your friendship so the answer becomes clear.

6. He sounds like an asshole. You only need the one that’s between your butt cheeks.

7. I have someone similar in my life, although he's humbled a bit these days since he's now married with kids. I think that it's hard for people who are used to being the center of attention, and when the tables are turned, they will often do anything to win that attention back. In your case, it sounds like he's going a bit too far. Just humbly tell him to quit cramping your style, and if he doesn't back off, maybe give the friendship a break.

Onehope likes this.
  8. u376

u376 Fapstronaut

lol

9. u376

u376 Fapstronaut

lust anger greed jealousy arrogance.........these all are sins

10. You could confront him about it. He'll probably deny it and claim to be innocent. You can say, whatever, do it one more time and we're done for good. And leave him to think about that.

He'll probably do it again. Then you can stand up and say, right we're done, I'm never talking to you again.

I got rid of friends I'd known since school. I didn't do it that way, but that's the way I should have done it!

11. Ub3rT1m3

Ub3rT1m3 Fapstronaut

I knew someone like this and do you know what I did, I completely cut off all contact with them. Didn't answer his calls or messages or anything. Eventually he sent a message with "I know I haven't been a good friend to you" maybe as some kind of attempt at an apology. Didn't actually use the word "sorry" mind you.

Anyway I came close to giving him another chance after that but ultimately decided not to, now I've moved on and hopefully he has to.

If anyone feels the need to put other people down to feel better about themselves then they can go to hell, they don't deserve friends.

12. That's my absolute favourite right there, whenever a person messages you with the magic words: "I know I haven't been a good friend". It's hilarious that they know you're upset and they've been an absolute twat, and that's supposed to be their little "apology", the supposed friends that have said that to me just went right back to being shit again.

13. Clauss24

Clauss24 Fapstronaut

Sounds like this dude projects his insecurities onto you. Everyone has some insecurities but some (many actually) broadcast theirs upon others. So he might like you etc, but he feels safe only when you are weak/inferior. My advice is to get some distance for yourself. Try to make new best friends. Begin slowly, and you will see some changes in how you perceive friendship especially if you only had this dude as your one buddy. Goodluck