1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Forgiveness as destruction???

A group for Buddhist Fapstronauts to connect.

1. Awedouble

Awedouble Fapstronaut

https://tricycle.org/magazine/forgiveness-not-buddhist/

That other thread on how the world is cut-throat reminded me of this article, and something that's really interesting to me from this is the idea that the last of four kinds (stages?) of awakened activity, destruction, is associated with forgiveness.

There's a lot in this article, but this is a very interesting and different take. I'm sure in a lot of peoples minds the idea of forgiveness tends to be make nice, probably more of the other three qualities in that teaching.

Come to think of it, just reflecting on it now I recall a recovery saying that expectations are premeditated resentments, and if there is a violation that needs to be forgiven then certainly there was some form of expectation.

For those who are not interested in the dharma the quality of destruction may in itself be an interesting enough point. The traditional idea of forgiveness, the making nice would seem to be more like the idea of self-improvement, be a bigger man. Destruction as awakened activity would seem to imply self destruction, in that an identification cannot survive in the face of that crystal clarity. And of course, it happens everyday in little ways all the time - and sometimes in big ways.