1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

For as long as I am a student, I vow to never buy Netflix

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Deleted Account, Feb 23, 2017.

Netflix

1. Love it

2. It's a waste of time but I watch it anyway

3. It's a waste of time, that's why I don't have it

4. Broccoli

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Aiyoshi

Aiyoshi Fapstronaut

A dangerous weapon.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

plant goodness and Deadlihood like this.
  2. Deadlihood

Deadlihood Fapstronaut

We all could use an extra murder weapon or two...

plant goodness and Aiyoshi like this.
  3. plant goodness

plant goodness Fapstronaut

4. plant goodness

That being said, I'd rather only watch movies at the theatre but hey every now and again one finds themself contemplating watching something at home on Netflix.

I am about to watch it tonight, and I did just see Dunkirk at the theater which was cool but I also want you to know, I cancelled my membership so next month Netflix is done.

And I don't plan on signin up again. But hey shit happens.

5. plant goodness

Lost hope?

6. plant goodness

How anyone can fap after reading your signature eludes me.

7. Grlt

Grlt Fapstronaut

It's ironic to claim that it's better to read books. Film and television also has the same capability to expand your mind and make you more mindful.
    I recommend watching the films of Andrei Tarkovsky, in particular, Stalker and Ivan's Childhood. He was known for a quote to the effect of how the purpose of art was to achieve spiritual enlightenment.
    Akira Kurosawa is also worth looking into. Seven Samurai, Rashomon, and Ikiru were all incredibly ahead of their time and can still speak to viewers today. He also mentioned that the purpose of film was to relate the viewer to the world around them.
    I can understand abstaining from netflix as most of the content there is not worth your time. That being said, abstaining from film and art is just limiting yourself.

plant goodness likes this.
  8. plant goodness

I think books are healthier but I agree with you, there is much insight to be gained from wholesome film and non-fiction television programming. I mean Nat Geo and Discovery channel have alot of quality shows, well Discovery seems to have half and half...

Grlt likes this.
  9. plant goodness

OK, OK.

Some fiction tv can be food for the mind but comparing it to reading a book...to each their own.

10. PasterofMuppets

PasterofMuppets Fapstronaut

It's like saying art is a waste of time. Movies are art just like the Sistine Chapel, a book or a comic book for that matter.
    Netflix has a vast catalogue and I'm sure there's plenty of interesting movies there. However I don't have money, so unless the movie is recent (if this is the case, I will fully support the creator) I usually have to rely on illegal download.

Grlt likes this.
  11. PasterofMuppets

PasterofMuppets Fapstronaut

Solaris tho.

12. TheProloguist

TheProloguist Fapstronaut

Everything has a balance.

You just need to diversify

Grlt likes this.
  13. Grlt

Grlt Fapstronaut

Yeah most fiction tv is episodic escapism that doesn't amount to that much. I loved Twin Peaks though, since it had such a unique presentation. It also had an extremely spiritual message behind it, since the spirit world was deeply involved in the plot of the show. It's all on netflix, and bear in mind that the pilot is pretty straightforward whereas the rest of the show is the craziest and most emotional ride of all time

14. Grlt

Grlt Fapstronaut

Still need to see it!

15. I voted for broccoli cause you gotta eat ya greens.
    But in all honesty I only use netflix for science documentaries, don't really watch a lot of it. I don't get the hype for it either; sure you have a lot of shows and movies but its not really interesting. I would not pay for it though.