1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

first post. 59 days clean! motivation help!

Discussion in 'Success Stories' started by Neveragain27, Feb 28, 2016.

1. Neveragain27

Neveragain27 Fapstronaut

No pmo 2016 and beyond

Today is the 28 of February and I have been pmo free for 59 days, or for the entire 2016. 59 days is a new record for me since the longest I ever reached before is 44 days. Now I feel very confidence that this is the time I will make it, first goal was 30, 60, 90 and then forever.

I discovered nofap the 1st of September 2014 and have had lots of streaks since then, all from 1/44 days, it’s been many ups and downs, but one thing I have gotten from it is a lot of knowledge about myself and what I need to do, not do. too get free of this addiction.

This streak up till 59 days has been surprisingly easy, of course there have been times where I have thought about faping or even wanted it. But I have always been able to get my thoughts over on something else. I have on this streak been watching small amount of TV and I have also tried to do something active every day.

On day 30/40 I had some withdraws, I was tiered all the time, also very low motivation. After this period ended, I have been feeling much benefits. Like more talkative specially at work, I don’t stress as much as I used to before, in stressing situations. I feel more, just general happiness in the whole of me. And just a constant feeling like my life isn’t that bad after all. I also feel clean, not sure how to explain this, I just have a feeling of being clean! Also I feel like I have the possibility to do whatever I want, I know that the only thing I need to do is to give 100 percent. I don’t have that annoying feeling that I need to take consideration to everyone all the time, not that I don’t take consideration to others anymore, but it’s OKAY to be myself! (this is maybe the biggest improvement for me) when you always try to not say or do the wrong thing you always end up saying and doing the wrong thing >p

I want to write a little about how this addiction affect us.

This to help other understand and conquer this addiction, but also for myself, although I have read all there is about this addiction it still helps to remind myself of the scientific behind addiction. Knowledge is the key!

You can look at the brain as the world. But in this world there is roads everywhere! (our brain) is full of roads. And the roads are filled up with cars, the cars are our thoughts. Roads are the path the cars(or thoughts) have to take to become action. All the cars are on their way to the cities when a car arrives at a city they are ready to become an action.
    Pmo is the capitol of an addicted brain, just like in the world we live in as in the brain the capitol has many roads and the roads are wide and comfortable to drive on. With the new cars we have today with autopilot we don’t even need to steer, they drive by themselves. Soo. To get to the capitol (pmo) you don’t need to do much effort.
    But if you decide to go to the gym, if that is something your not used to do, than that will be a bumpy ride on an old (maybe non existing) road in the middle of nowhere. But the second time you go to the gym the road service has been there fixing on the road, and the more you keep on going the better the road will be, eventually you have been riding on this road that much that your brain realizes that this is the new big city (maybe even the new capitol) so more and more and better and better roads are built to have room for all the cars.
    In the meantime in your brain when all the cars go to the gym, the road to pmo will have little or non-traffic, and when traffic is low the road start to decay and when no cars are driving on the road the road service (your brain) sees no reason to maintain this road, so after a while this road to pmo will be completely overgrown, and it will become harder and harder to take a wrong turn.
    but we as former addicted to something has to remember that the road or at least the foundation will always lay there under the mud ready to be used again. This is why its easier for an former addict to start up his addiction again, the addiction is gone, don’t be afraid it aren’t. but the foundation is there. Its easier to build a road where there has been a road before, then to just start building on a random path.

But there is one fundamental thing that’s missing in the example, and that’s dopamine!
    dopamine is an important reason why you take the road you do.

(dopamine is a substance in our brain that gives us motivation to do whatever)

Soo.

Let’s say dopamine is big trucks, trucks drive in big convoys to the big cities, it’s easy for a truck to drive to a city, and there will be many trucks on a road to a big city.
    but try to drive a big 20 ton truck to a small city(village) in the middle of nowhere, it will not be a pleasant trip, the dopamine has problem reaching to the destination, the same for our thoughts, cause the dopamine are driving slow, maybe even stops and makes traffic jam.

I really hope everyone understands the example I try to draw here. It’s not just a funny “story” it’s actually how our brain works. Our brain has a spider web of different roads, and each road represent something.

Also I hope the grammar isn’t too much of a problem, I am Norwegian, and I tend to translate directly.

2. ad_nex

ad_nex Fapstronaut

very nice example taken brother. Thanks for sharing it... and by the way congratulation for your amazing 59 days streak.. that's a big achievement but still be aware about that demonic thing as you have to extend this streak further.. keep sharing your updates all the best for days to come..

Neveragain27 likes this.
  3. FapNotThereforeIAm

FapNotThereforeIAm Fapstronaut

Good stuff man, keep it down. I like the description about the brain's plasticity.

4. Great post @Neveragain27 . In Yoga philosophy these deep grooves in the mind have a specific term called samskAras. The more one engages in that action the deeper the groove gets. They are observed in meditation and weakened in their attenuated state- being as they are difficult to be aware of in the waking state. But not to steal your thunder- what you wrote is beautiful, original and spot on. You certainly have good insight into the workings of the mind and the analogies were very nice.

5. Billy3eyes

Billy3eyes Fapstronaut

I won't lie, this did make me laugh a little bit only because it was elegantly simple. The brain and how we think is such a painfully complicated subject and your analogies made it so much more approachable. Keep goin brother and remember to share this with your kids (appropriately and if that's what you want) because that is some seriously valuable information. Congratulations 59 days is an inspiration to me on day 7!

6. skylar_legit

skylar_legit Fapstronaut

congratulations bro..!
    great post.
    all the best for your journey..!