1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Favourite Directors

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Deleted Account, Aug 7, 2018.

Who is are favourite directors?

1. Steven Spielberg

7 vote(s)
    36.8%
  2. Martin Scorsese

5 vote(s)
    26.3%
  3. Alfred Hitchcock

3 vote(s)
    15.8%
  4. Ridley Scott

6 vote(s)
    31.6%
  5. Christopher Nolan

9 vote(s)
    47.4%
  6. Spike Lee

1 vote(s)
    5.3%
  7. Ava DuVernay

1 vote(s)
    5.3%
  8. Kathryn Bigelow

1 vote(s)
    5.3%
  9. Patty Jenkins

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Someone else

10 vote(s)
    52.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Out of the others you mentioned I've only seen a Lars von Trier movie and I suppose it was alright. I've heard a reviewer say that he pulls pranks on the audience with the way he tells a story. Also, he seems like an unpleasant director to work with.

2. Pre-The Village Shyamalan was the best, in my opinion. And Kubrick's The Shining and Full Metal Jacket (dat Sergeant Hartman) are among my all time favorite movies. Also forgot to mention Luc Besson (Leon, The Fifth Element).

3. u376

u376 Fapstronaut

I was about to mention David Lynch but I never understood his movies
    Like blue velvet, mullholand drive, lost highway

4. tweeby

tweeby Banned

Aight, although I thought 'The Village' was great! I know it got a lot of bad press but I reckon lots of people went to see that expecting a horror fest. That being said some of his later works, like the one with will smith and his son was dire so I agree with you on that. I didn't get through the first 10mins.

I also thought 'the visit' was pretty good too.

But yeah Kubrick's stuff what masterpieces. I still reckon I ought to watch space odyssey but never got round to it.

AngelofDarkness likes this.
  5. But isn't that what makes them so great? A movie you have to think about is better than a movie you watch without thinking.

u376 and AngelofDarkness like this.
  6. I'm not saying The Village was bad, I even bought the DVD when I was 12 years old when it came out. But Signs, The Sixth Sense, and Unbreakable were 10/10 movies for me. After that he's really made some of the worst movies ever (The Happening, Lady in The Water, Last Airbender, After Earth). I have The Visit on my watchlist.

I have to say 2001: A Space Odyssey never impressed me that much for some reason, maybe 2deep4me.

7. Blue Velvet has one of the best and funniest villains.

u376 likes this.
  8. u376

u376 Fapstronaut

Yes....it was confusing and good at the same time

9. u376

u376 Fapstronaut

Yeah.....daddy wants to.......... :D

10. Exactly, i totally agree. What happened to him? To be fair i didn't see split yet and the reviews on that were supposed to be awesome, but everything else after village sucked.

11. That movie was so crazy. That was the most exciting theater experience I've ever had. Lol it was a pretty packed theater and everyone was SO into it. People were jumping and screaming and yelling at the screen and of course there was a big commotion at the end.

My favorite movie of his, though, and just my favorite movie in general, is Split.

12. If you're talking about the village, that is one of the most surprising endings i've seen to this day. I was like "what the..." lol

13. No, I was talking about The Visit.

14. Oh, my bad lol. I didnt see the visit, but the village ending surprised me big time.

Deleted Account likes this.
  15. tweeby

tweeby Banned

Yes that was sooo good. You know the scene where the kids put a hidden camera downstairs and the old lady casually sleep walks in front with her back facing us, then suddenly pops up in front of the camera. That scared the bejesus outta me!

But I think the most unsettling scene was near the end when the girl walks in on the grandma in her rocking chair mumbling profanities and bad things.

I recommend anyone to check out 'The Gift' by M. Night it is one of his hidden gems, staring cate blanchette!

Deleted Account likes this.
  16. The Consigliere

The Consigliere Fapstronaut

Christopher Nolan's movies are great! I also love Ridley Scott, but another director I've come to like is Wes Anderson. Overall with these three directors, I really loved their films!

u376 likes this.
  17. I forgot The Gift was him! That's a really good one too.

18. u376

u376 Fapstronaut

Agreed.....but I think lost highway was a bit boring
    And mullholand drive is my favorite of him

19. tweeby

tweeby Banned

Sorry Castielle, I don't know where I got that from, but I swear I read he had a part in 'The Gift.' Searching wiki I couldn't find anything linked to him, so maybe it was just my wishful thinking! That being said I found a new director in Sam Raimi - so I'm going to check out some of his films.

Also I told you this before, but marrowbone is a movie you'll absolutely enjoy, I've probably given away too much already but if you need a link to a download just PM me.

20. If someone hasn't added him yet, Denis Villeneuve
    I loved Blade Runner 2049, Sicario, Prisoners.
    I need to watch more by him!

AngelofDarkness and tweeby like this.