1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Favourite Classic Novelist

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Deleted Account, Jul 19, 2018.

Who is your favorite classic novelist?

1. Jane Austen

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Charlotte Brontë

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
  3. John Bunyan

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Charles Dickens

2 vote(s)
    28.6%
  5. Mary Shelley

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Robert Louis Stevenson

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
  7. Harper Lee

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
  8. Mark Twain

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
  9. Laura Ingalls Wilder

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Someone else

3 vote(s)
    42.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Who is it and why?

* Wish I could include more authors in the poll but I'm limited with poll options. Tried to select a variety of authors.

Moon Shot likes this.
  2. For it's Charles Dickens. He wrote great stories that had something to say around social issues. Plus he was a great writer. Take a look at the opening of a Tale of Two Cities:

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to Heaven, we were all going direct the other way.

That is 85 words in a single sentence! I'm one of the last people to say the old days were better but no one writes like that anymore! It truly is a work of art! Hope I can create a sentence as beautiful as that one day.

tweeby likes this.
  3. tweeby

tweeby Banned

I haven't read many classics, but I thought Jane Eyre was pretty good. But I guess that's only cos it's the girl in my office favourite book.

I like George Orwell's stuff, but I'm not sure if he is a classic author.

4. George Orwell is considered to be a classic author. Jane Eyre has many good things about it but the racist and nationalist overtones in the book is disturbing. It's amazing how something like that can be hidden in plain sight.

5. tweeby

tweeby Banned

Really, I never noticed it, I know most books in that period are heavily influenced by that period anyway.

6. goldsoundz

goldsoundz New Fapstronaut

Pramoedya Ananta Toer from my country. But I'm fan of JD Salinger & Knut Hamsun too.

7. Racist? Are you thinking of wuthering heights?

8. I agree, Charles Dickens is the master. No one can write unique characters and interwoven plots quite like Charles Dickens. My favorite is Bleak House.

9. No, Jane Eyre. I don't know Wuthering Heights as well as Jane Eyre but seem to me the opposite of racism. But that brings up an important point: could it be that Charlotte Brontë was racist and Emily was opposed to it?

Like I said it's hidden in plain sight. An episode of In Our Time opened my eyes to it. What you have is every negative character in the story described as having dark skin and Bertha Mason's madness at times is contributed to her race. I think it goes a little more than just reflect the times it was written in. We also see a bit nationalism with negative language regarding the French. A book like Austin's Mansfield Park reflects the time it was written but it's like Jane Eyre goes out of its way to let everyone who those with negative characteristics are people with dark skin. As for nationalism, we see Elizabeth Gaskell's Wives and Daughters speak out against it so, at the least, there were people opposed to it at the time. It seems to me Jane Eyre wants to show the reader the hypocrisy of the church, how women are treated as property but also that non-whites can't be trusted and the British are superior to other nations.

I should mention there was a book written by Jean Rhys called Wide Sargasso Sea that's about Bertha Mason and how she became who she was.

tweeby likes this.
  10. tweeby

tweeby Banned

I must admit that IS rather interesting, I was mostly interested in the dynamic between Jane and the infamous Mr Rochester, so I guess the subtle racism was lost on me. The girl in my office was mad about Mr Rochester's character, personally I found him to be a bit of a oaf, but I can see how most girls would fall for his personality traits. I guess it is the idea of 'love' being about romance and character rather than superficial looks but I think we might be going off topic here.

I would like to read some Charles Dickens, obviously I've watched the big movies like Oliver Twist etc, but I'd like to read more of his books.

Now George Orwell's Animal Farm was a masterpiece regarding political allegory, and 1984 was simply fantastic. Both a great read, I can't say which I prefer the most though, I'm leaning towards 1984 as it has more adult themes - although Animal Farm was true genius in story telling. It must have been a 'first' of its time.

Deleted Account likes this.
  11. tweeby

tweeby Banned

Oh yeah 'Catcher in the Rye' is infamous.

I really digged that book, but it is known for being a psychopath's favourite. . . Which kinda worries me, as I exhibit a few traits such as supreme confidence, silver tongued and lacking empathy unless geared towards my own personal benefits LOL.

^But at least I'm honest :D

12. What am i missing? Where is the racism in Jane Eyre? I read it twice and i guess i missed it.

13. u376

u376 Fapstronaut

charles dickens and R.K Narayan....
    r.k narayan wrote malgudi days and the guide which are my all time favourites

Deleted Account likes this.