1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Fasting to help abstain from PMO

Discussion in 'Nutrition and Supplements' started by learning, Oct 14, 2018.

1. learning

learning Fapstronaut

I haven't noticed much discussion of using fasting to help abstain from PMO, so I thought I should mention it. The one time when I was able to abstain from PMO for a long period (2 years) was also a time when I was fasting regularly. I noticed that when I broke a fast there was often a return of sexual feelings. Fasting seems to cool-down racing thoughts and make a person more serious and calm when done correctly (IMO). I don't claim to be an expert on fasting, but I wanted to bring up the topic in case it might help others.

Surprise likes this.
  2. Interesting, I was reading about fasting from a general health benefit. Interesting to know it may help with stopping PMO too. What was your fasting protocol. I was trying to get myself to not eat anything after dinner until lunch the next day. I found that is was very hard for me to stop snacking at night, but easier to skip breakfast, though I think it might be better to do the opposite

learning likes this.
  3. RelentlessPush

RelentlessPush Fapstronaut

I love fasting and many do use it therapeutically, if it helps you great!

For those unfamiliar, this doctor gives an excellent summary of why it works the way it does.

learning likes this.
  4. learning

learning Fapstronaut

Typically I tried not to eat anything until 3pm or 5pm and then I ate mostly dry roasted peanuts, rice cakes, and uncooked vegetables. I have read that it is best to avoid savory or otherwise tasty foods so you don't eat too much when you do eat. ... The most important thing I found was water and not eating right before sleep. I got terrible cramps at night from eating too late and not drinking enough water. ... Water is critical.

I was mostly fasting due to religious rules, but I discarded that religion and now I can't find the will to fast. I'm sure it would help with the PMO addiction if I could get back into it.

5. Thanks for the advice. I agree with trying not to eat before bed, which I unfortunately do all the time right now, but if I drink too much water in the evening I will wake in the middle of the night uncomfortable and having to pee.

learning likes this.