Ever feel guilty just for living?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Brokenman123, Jan 12, 2019 at 11:34 PM.

1. Brokenman123

Brokenman123 Fapstronaut

Ever feel like you shouldn't have anything good in life because other people have it really bad? Like you shouldn't be successful in life and live your dreams because some people will never get to live their dreams? Or you shouldn't get married because others for whatever reason won't get the chance to be married and be happy? Idk...

2. Coffee Candy

Coffee Candy Fapstronaut

3. Ra's Al Ghul

Ra's Al Ghul Fapstronaut

4. IAmLegion

IAmLegion Fapstronaut

People are born the same way you are; of a choice that is completely out of their hands.

The millionaire and the vagrant are both born of a decision their parents made; they had no possible say in the act.

Also, your decisions do impact others' lives, I agree. However, keep in mind that the opposite effect also applies in full.

Limited resources create the concept of competition. Scientists call it the "survival of the fittest" whereas economists call it the "opportunity cost". Both mean the same thing: under a fixed set of supplies, improvement in one field inevitably comes at the cost of another.

This very scenario of limited resources is out of your hand.

So long as your decisions are made with no malintent, there is no sin/shame in inevitably removing resources from someone else.
    That is just the way life works.

You could he focusing on about 100 dofferent lines of thought which are far more productive than this. Ask yourself this:
    1. Are you happy in life?
    2. Are you successful in life?
    3. Are you satisfied with your life?
    If you answer yes to all 3 questions, then you have true reason to think along these lines.

However, if you are neither successful, nor satisfied with the means by which success is inevitably attained, then this way of thinking is self-destructive, non-remedial, and pointless. Think this way when you can actually do something to fix it.

Become a millionaire and donate cash to orphanages. Start up drives and programs to support cancer patients. Do whatever you want to contribute back to the world.

But step 1 is to become a millionaire.

5. Cel mai drept ideal

Cel mai drept ideal Fapstronaut

6. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Fapstronaut

7. The Unfadeable

The Unfadeable Fapstronaut

No

8. Castielle

Castielle Fapstronaut

9. Dolittle

Dolittle Fapstronaut

10. Brokenman123

Brokenman123 Fapstronaut

So you guys have never wondered why you have all the good things you have in life and compare yourself to others who struggle and don't feel bad that you're doing good and they're doing badly?

11. Dolittle

Dolittle Fapstronaut

Nope. There are people with less who are happier than the people with more and vice versa. That’s life. There is no point in wasting time feeling guilty

12. Brokenman123

Brokenman123 Fapstronaut

Yes I hate how the whole system works with this stupid competition for limited resources... I want nothing to do with it but I have no choice. I hate it so much that I don't even want to be a millionaire since I'll be using the same system which I hate to become successful.

13. Brokenman123

Brokenman123 Fapstronaut

I'm not just talking about people who are happy with less, I'm also talking about the millions of kids and other young people in their teens and twenties etc who die young eg. aborted or miscarried kids or those who die of terminal illnesses and never get the chance to live or fulfill their dreams and other stuff that I might get to do...

14. Coolyorky

Coolyorky Fapstronaut

Nope! Never felt that.

Work hard, be the best version of yourself and if possible help close friends and family!

CH3RRY and Cel mai drept ideal like this.
  15. Cel mai drept ideal

Gotta agree with that. If everybody helped their families and close friends there would be fewer problems in this world.

Coolyorky likes this.
  16. Dolittle

Dolittle Fapstronaut

Thanks for the clarification. My answer is still no. Now I would feel guilty if I wasted my life feeling guilty over something I couldn’t control nor was responsible for.

MLMVSS and Cel mai drept ideal like this.
  17. Cel mai drept ideal

As an aspiring stoic, I believe this is Fate at work. Everything is as it is supposed to be. And as Dolittle pointed out, we have no control over people dying young and what not, so how's feeling guilty going to change anything? And don't forget, those who have it good today can become those who have it bad of tomorrow and vice versa.

MLMVSS likes this.
  18. Castielle

Castielle Fapstronaut

No, because it's not my fault that the world is the way that it is, so why should I feel guilty about it? I would feel guilty if I was living some excessive life and blowing tons of money on garbage and never helping people, because that's within my ability to change, but I don't feel guilty for being born in the place and circumstances I was. That's silly to me.

MLMVSS likes this.
  19. Coolyorky

Coolyorky Fapstronaut

I feel sorry people who don’t reach their potential. The snowflake generation thinks good things should just happen to them. The world owes them a living. It doesn’t. If anything being aware of all the bad things in the world should push is to do better. We have all the advantages

20. Brokenman123

Brokenman123 Fapstronaut

OK then, I guess I'm the odd one out. I just don't get how people could never feel bad that other people don't have the same opportunities as them but I guess everyone's different.

Coffee Candy likes this.