1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Electric Love Bar and the madness of electronic interactions.

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by greenishmoon, Aug 8, 2019.

Tags:

Do you feel social media and/or electronic devices play a harmful role in your life?

1. Definitely.

2 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. Not quite much effect but I notice some.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Not at all, I enjoy them fully.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. I don't know neither think about it.

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. greenishmoon

greenishmoon Fapstronaut

I hate social media. I really do. But I won't lie, I hate it because the way it is presented and designed, hand by hand with the twistedness we're living in, makes me feel less than others, makes me feel that I'm missing out. That's okay, I'll grown up and get past it.
    Tho I have to admit It has its perks too, I mean, I have met my first girlfriend online, that was crazy.

But today I was impressed. I clicked this game I downloaded a month ago but feared to play. And it wasn't a horror game. It was a flash based simulator of online interaction.

https://alienmelon.itch.io/electric-love-bar

It is simple. You execute it, and you decide wheter you enter a livestream simulator or a social media posting one.
    Once you do that, you can simulate posting whatever you decide to write or just simulate streaming your desktop.

Tons of post and chat messages start to pop out, and you can hear notification sounds and stuff.
    I was scared, I didn't wanted to play it, and I didn't know why. I know how this tiny little red circles activate our desire for more, for oportunity. For some reason, there was something I didn't wanted to know..

But I tried it.
    I felt it immediatly. The same emotional response you find when entering Facebook, Instagram, you name it. I didn't think it could work at this level (the "game" is quite simple and doesn't look alike a real app).
    And I knew, this is fantastic. Nothing here is real, and yet, here it is in my chest.
    I felt amazed, kind of scared and a little confused about what to think about it.

What I think I can get from it, is the notion that we should move our attention to some other place in our lives. As a person that grew up with and within the internet, it is scary to see how easy a harmful image of reality we can form in our minds from all the information we reach and the way it is presented.
    We (I) should take great care of how we perceive this interactions and "attention" from devices.

What do you think?

TL;DR.

I found this social media simulator that made me feel quite unconfortable. You could try it too.

2. elevate

elevate Fapstronaut

So instead of fake sense of connection with real people on social media, you want to play a game that gives you a fake sense of connection from a simulation of social media?

Why not a game that simulates a character that indulges in PMO as well.

3. greenishmoon

greenishmoon Fapstronaut

You misunderstood me. It is not that I want to play, I think it is a very interesting experiment on how social media is working.
    It is not about a game, the dev itself doesn't clasify it as a "game", it is an interactive tool that, at least in my current perspective, showed me something about myself, and maybe about the human condition as well.
    Or I might be exaggerating, my impressions about stuff go wild sometimes.

4. elevate

elevate Fapstronaut

I see.

So did you find out whether or not people just want the likes / notifications vs receiving them from real people?

5. greenishmoon

greenishmoon Fapstronaut

I actually think that might be the case, yes. I take by example flashing, increasing numbers on mmorpg's, those can be addictive, and you're not getting a thing out of them.