1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Domestic abuse - why do people stay / return to abusers

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Fightyourlowerself, Jul 2, 2019.

1. Fightyourlowerself

Fightyourlowerself Fapstronaut

Hi guys,

I want to change one thing in this world after I sort my own addiction out - domestic abuse.

I get really upset when I hear about domestic abuse victims - just the thought of someone living with a monster like that really breaks my heart. I sometimes wake up at night and think about these people who are suffering. No one deserves to be treated like that :(

What I don't understand is why do people stay and not escape? And why return to their abusers?

Is it because they are made to feel worthless so they think they can't live without their partner?

What can I do to change this all around the world? I want to stop it forever!

What would victims need to help them escape? What will it take to end this?

2. This sounds very much like the Stockholm syndrome. Basically the abused will be dependent on the abuser in these cases and will stay with them out of sympathy/emotional bonding and necessity, food etc. They stay there because the abuser still 'cares' for the abused in one way or another. This has even been expressed in more serious cases, as in the kidnapping of Natasha Kampusch.