1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Does weight lifting stunt height growth??

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Hahaidontcare12, Sep 17, 2018.

Does weight lifting stunt height growth??

1. Yes it stunts

1 vote(s)
    9.1%
  2. No it doesn't

10 vote(s)
    90.9%
  1. Hahaidontcare12

Hahaidontcare12 Fapstronaut

Hi everyone,

I am 16 years old and my height is 164 CM or 5 feet 4 inches and, I want to start my weight lifting workouts send join gym but I have heard many of them saying that weight lifting stunt height growth, I don't want that my height growth get stunted.

So guys please share youe opinions and I don't even have any idea that this thread belongs here, if not please inform me.

And please share your opinion.

2. Hahaidontcare12

3. I lifted weights in high school and it didn’t stunt my growth. I think the drugs some weight lifters take can negatively effect the body in many ways. But just lifting weights isn’t going to keep your height low.

Go for it!

4. MonarchOfTheGlen

MonarchOfTheGlen Fapstronaut

IIRC it's been said that growth might be affected for those going through puberty (say 12-13 years old), so in your case you should be safe.

Hahaidontcare12 likes this.
  5. Hahaidontcare12

Thank you friend, but can we take nutritional supplements ??

Deleted Account likes this.
  6. Hahaidontcare12

Thank you friend, but I am 16 yrs old.

7. I'm not an expert on those, never took them. I'm guessing yes but make sure to do some research. Don't take my uneducated word for it.

8. risk_taker

risk_taker Fapstronaut

I've read a couple of studies concerning strength and resistance training with weights focused around your age. Most of the conclusions base it off of growth plate injuries. At around your age males (14-16), your growth plates are finishing up closing and I believe that as long your training is supervised and strength, you can actually reduce your risk of injury by increasing bone density. That's my two cents.

9. Pinetree

Pinetree Fapstronaut

I've read that this would be the case in an old bodybuilding book. They said that a younger person could lift weights, but not that heavy. But I don't remember exactly what age was mentioned.

In the same book was mentioned that somebody doing weight lifting should to other kind of sports/exercises to balance and maintain flexibility of the muscles. What I found more recently to be recommended is core strength exercises (you can find about them on google and youtube).

10. Lifting won’t stunt your growth so don’t worry about that. Also don’t take supplements. The only supplement you need is vitamin d if you get cold dark winters where u live. Whey protein is pointless unless you actually can’t get enough protein in your diet.

Hahaidontcare12 and torrace like this.
  11. Hahaidontcare12

Thank you friend I will make some research on it

12. Hahaidontcare12

Thank you friend for your reply

13. Hahaidontcare12

Thank you friend I work on my flexibility I do some cobra streching etc.

14. Hahaidontcare12

Thank you friend for your reply

TrynaStayClean likes this.
  15. Hahaidontcare12

Thank you friend

16. horny nerd

horny nerd Fapstronaut

It can so it would be best to do excercises with your own body weight like pull-ups and push-ups.

17. seaguy44

seaguy44 Moderator Assistant

Go see a doctor if you are concerned.

18. u376

u376 Fapstronaut

Yes it stunts
    I am the only one to say this
    But believe me it does
    Both gymnastics and weight lifting affects the height