1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you value truth over feeling ?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by need4realchg, Aug 22, 2019.

1. I really wouldn’t call it emotional denial but more emotional control. The early Christian writers and theologians weren’t against feelings but they were against us being driven by our feelings.

2. What do you mean by lordship/salvation?

Deleted Account likes this.
  3. Not trying to go all preachy here —-

I look at pmo successes as denying my feelings to lust, to escape, to resist the emotional death-grip my fantasy has on my conscience.

If I don’t fight I will simply fall.
    In fact , I’d say all relapses are feelings/emotions driven.

In the context of pmo we either choose truth or feelings. Right ?

To say doing this is “controlling our feelings” in then context of pmo would be like saying I do pmo in moderation. Not sure if you suggesting that, I know some do practice m in moderation. I am not in that camp.

My Feelings no more heed me than a cat heeds it’s master’s commands sans repast.

In part I am tired of fighting all of them. I’m wondering if that’s the place spiritually where Josh is, it’s freaking hard and depressing to have a high stance and categorize your daily tally as failing to meet it. Disbelief is the only logical conclusion I would think.

4. Disbelief is a logical escape but not nessecarily a conclusion, unless you feel your faith should be for sure preventing your relapse, which is not the case for me.

Addiction is illogical in my experience and it can also be devoid of feelings too. Some addicts in my SAA group describe their acting out as robotic and driven seemingly from no internal feelings at all. Some cant resist and act out through tears of sorrow and desperation. People like me do mental gymnastics to make my acting out seem logical even though it is insane seen through the eyes of a sober person.

I dont know man...I'm just rambling. My faith is that I simply try to stay sober...just for today, feelings or no feelings. That's at least one measurable truth, even if nothing else makes sense.

need4realchg likes this.
  5. I salute you @Max Fisher ... may our ramblings hopefully make sense to others, not just to me .

I feel disbelief is a conclusion after years of failed expectations. Disbelief would be a disillusionment, not really an escape at all. More of a dungeon of despair.

Faith should be good for preventing relapse but that assumes faith and feelings go together—- do they?

In my experience my faith has just about always contradicted my feeling. If i describe it like a gasoline blend I’d say it used to be 90% faith, 10% feeling when I was walking in accordance with truth.

Today it’s 80% feeling and 20% faith. That’s not enough to label myself a practicing Christian thus I do not.

So @ Auger described the natural conflict —- sure similar to Paulien principals of carnal vs. spiritual man, but how many years of failed attempts does it take before you break?

Choosing truth over feelings for me is 100% — a faith exercise; and maybe there is someone who can say 100-% their two worlds, faith and feeling are aligned?

6. gordie

gordie Fapstronaut

On the whole "Does good action produce good feeling?" conflict-- read a book by Aristotle called Nichomachean Ethics. A highly influential book throughout the entire history of Christianity, and Western culture in general. It addresses this question directly, it's an amazing read and it has led me to a more virtuous life in general. I am personally not very familiar with Christianity like some, though I really value and think highly of Christians, and Aristotle takes a very cold, scientific, and reasonable (in the sense of-- Aristotle uses reason) to arrive at similar ethical conclusions.

His conclusion is: Yes. Happiness (eudaimonia) is the product of good action. This is not to be confused with base fleeting pleasures. It's not a long book but it's very concise and hard to summarize, but ever since I read it I developed a very deep love of virtue and a truly virtuous life, even if it's a daily struggle.

Deleted Account and need4realchg like this.
  7. I heard a good quote recently. "If you seek wisdom, you will find comfort. If you seek only comfort, you will find neither."

Truth is absolutely more important than feelings, because if your happy feelings are based on lies, they will not last. You will not find comfort in the end. The truth will set you free. That's a promise.

8. This is such a problematic statement. There is absolutely no such thing as something not being true "for him." It's either true, or it isnt. None of this "what's YOUR truth?" nonsense.

I believe in God. If God isn't real, then I'm wrong. It doesnt matter what "my" truth is. It matters what THE truth is. I really can't fathom how people think this way. It makes me sad. Our society is completely doing away with objective truth and reality. It's all about feelings and what feels true "to you." I don't really give a crap about what "my" truth is if "my" truth isn't true. That just makes me wrong.

When it comes to something like believing in the existence of God, either you are wrong or you are right. Either there is a God, or there isn't. There's no such thing as "well, my truth is that there is a God" if He doesn't exist.

9. Wise words. Reminds me of a great quote.

[​IMG]

10. Yes. You hit the relative morality problem on the head.

I think there’s a few examples of well known people who depart their faith but still hold true to the truths they once believed.

While some people do change their views , the truths for which they once stood remain.

11. I hear you in this and the quote is spot on as it discusses actions. It does not address the disparity (if there is any) of feeling.

The idea behind the (former) Christian author is that he does not feel what he once believed.

So does he continue to do it? Or drop it and go with his feeling ?

12. Going to get the audiobook. This is golden brother, thank you.

Yes. For some reason this deeply appeals to me, the scientific method applied to ethics ... a weird mix for sure, kind of like alchemy for wizards ... but nevertheless I do appreciate the emotionless view that deletes grey from the colour palette for arguments sake and provides logical clarity.
    Thank you my friend.

13. Man...such a hard question. Does one have a marriage without the feeling of love? Will the feeling of love prevent you from betraying your wife?

need4realchg likes this.
  14. Real life experience —- what you actually believe, that you do, do.

So yes. Belief is enough to both be willingly be martyred or refrain from cheating on a spouse in a sexless marriage.

I could counter most of us treat beliefs like it is taking a shot of whisky and then consider ourselves sufficiently buzzed to drive the vehicle of faith.

Until a cop shines the light of law in our eyes do we see we don’t really believe what we profess. Hence the Matt 7 experience.

15. As for the first part:.

Prior to the 20 century did not people get married with feelings playing little part of the marriage calculation?

Did issac marry with love for Rebecca?

Did Jacob marry Leah with the feeling of love ?

16. I think faith and feelings can be seperate. I think faith will not nessecarily prevent you from any hardship or sin. I think you can be forgiven without feelings of remorse. I think you can be married without feelings of love.

need4realchg likes this.
  17. For sure faith doesn’t insulate believers from hardship or temptation.

Forgiven without feelings of remorse—-What does a emotionless person use in absence of feeling “sorrowful”?

Married without love ... nofap has hundreds of these.

I’d call it “committed to a relationship of love without feeling love at all.”

Of course ... love is not a simply a feeling — but for many of us dopamine addicts discerning love once the initial fuel of dopamine has expired is easier said than done.

18. Hros

Hros Fapstronaut

I fully agree. However, I was trying to use careful language to avoid another "my religion is true and yours isn't" fight which never gets anywhere. I have absolutely no idea what Josh Harris believes now, but it doesn't bother me that he's no longer Christian because I'm not Christian. Now, if he were Jewish...;)

need4realchg likes this.
  19. Well there is Faith which is the sum of revealed truths and then there is faith which is the manner you are assenting to these truths through habit and virtue.

Your belief is not all that is necessary to live a holy life; one must live by faith, hope, and charity; the most important being charity (love). All these are needed to live a holy life and all of these are only practiced perfectly by the grace and through the grace of God. When we let go of a God we fall.

20. EXPONENTIALLY

EXPONENTIALLY Fapstronaut

That you have to earn your salvation by works, thinking you're in the time of Jesus earthly ministry, therefore rejecting grace and the finished work of Jesus.

need4realchg and Deleted Account like this.