1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

do you like girls who wear make-up?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by astronaut prime, Jul 23, 2018.

1. Just reading a bit of that convo between Sarah and Angel, and I wanted to add that it's kind of easy to say that, sure, people dont just wear makeup or get plastic surgery for themselves, but for others, and its society's problem for having unrealistic beauty standards for both men and women. That's easy to say, and its very true, but then the question is, what is the solution? You can't change society's beauty standards over night, but you can go down to Walmart and get yourself a tube of mascara to make your eyelashes more full and a bottle of foundation to cover up that acne in a matter of minutes.

So yeah, it is definitely a larger problem, but I think most people tend to use the "solution" that is easiest. If you really dont match up well at all with what people tend to think of as attractive, it's a whole lot easier to change yourself to fit that mold than it is to learn how to love and accept yourself despite the way other people view you. I dont necessarily think it's the healthiest option, but I don't really blame anyone for taking that route if the alternative is so hard. And for some people it is super hard.

I think, generally, if a woman is pretty, she looks best with little to no make up. But what if shes not pretty? I doubt many people could deny that some people look better with more makeup on.

2. I think both are a solution, but one is more about feeling confident because of others, while the other one is about being confident in your own skin because you accept the way you look, even if it's not how you want to look. I don't know, it's hard to put into words, but maybe a thought experiment: I'm sure you we can agree that we won't put on a fancy dress and make-up if we are spending a day at home watching TV on the couch. Now would it be different with a certain physical feature we don't like? Do I really care that my nose doesn't look like the way I want it to look when I am all alone at home? Won't I start to care as soon as I will be aware that others will see my nose that I perceive as not looking good? I think in that case it means that I feel like my nose doesn't fit a certain outside-perception of a good-looking nose. But if I look into the mirror and don't like my nose but acknowledge and accept that it's a part of who I am, then I also won't care about others perception of my nose and I won't see a reason to get it fixed. But I agree with Castielle that it's easier in terms of self-confidence (I agree that undergoing surgery involves more effort and risks than just accepting my appearance) to just fix the problem by changing one's appearance when there's certain pressure from the outside of looking a certain way. I think the more pressure from the outside (women with a flat ass are not sexy compared to women with or without make-up are sexy), the harder it is to accept and love the way you look because it makes you you. But I think both solutions are equally acceptable, depending on every individual's ability to be happy by accepting the way they look.

3. Maybe this isn't so much about what is defined as beauty by society. Because I agree with Sarah W. that beauty doesn't necessarily just have to be a social construct. I think we as human beings have an innate sense of beauty, especially when it comes to facial symmetry. While other aspects of beauty are more influenced by society and/or experience. I think one thing is the realization of not fitting society's or one's own definition of beauty (they might be the same or completely different, they might be dependent or completely independent from each other) and the other is why does that realization make us want to fit a certain definition of "superficial" beauty, even if it is our own? I think the answer is because society (and maybe to some extent this is also a bit hardwired into our biology) teaches us that fitting a certain definition of physical beauty (even if it's our own unique one) comes with certain advantages. Maybe as we grow up we are already being exposed to how our environment reacts to beauty. The young girl at kindergarten with the nice long blonde hair and the symmetrical face is the most popular child. Or watching Disney movies shows us the animators' perception of beauty, with the pretty damsel in distress wanting to be saved and married by the prince, while the ugly witch represents the evil that has to be defeated. I'm just saying this as more objectively reflecting on the issue. I still fully support anyone's right to be happy, no matter what it takes, and nothing makes an individual's perception and the consequences of that perception less real or less valid.

4. I'm not sure if you understood my post... that was exactly the point I was trying to make. Lol but anyway, I agree. That's what I was saying.

Yeah... that's exactly what I was saying. I dont think I said it was easy to get surgery, i think i said it was easier than waiting for society to magically change, which is exactly what you just said too.

The only thing we disagree on is whether or not it's a healthy option. Everything else you just said is exactly what I was saying. Lol

5. Sure

6. HereAndThere

HereAndThere Fapstronaut

Lets say that girls put on makeup to look good to themselves, that they are just doing that to look good to themselves. Thats kinda the best case scenario, its worse to wear makeup just because of societies or partners expectations. Even if they are doing it just for themselves it means that they prefer to look different than they actually look, which is fine, no biggie. But it still means they are lying to themselves. Ok, we all do that to a degree, no biggie. But its hard to spin this as a positive thing. I think truth is that societies expectation usually plays the main role, and putting makeup and not wasting too much time doing it seems reasonable and smart actually. I thing it becomes a big problem only when it start to take to much time in somebodies life. "Hottest" girls have complicated daily routines that take up so much time. Morning cleaning procedure, tanning salons, pilates, yoga, doing their hair, piling, hair plucking... Its hard to have a meaningful conversation with a person whose personality consists of 30% makeup.

7. Moon Shot

Moon Shot Fapstronaut

Why would you say that, mate? And, wait, makeup contributes 30% to personality? o_O

8. Jason_Tesla_19

Jason_Tesla_19 Fapstronaut

Have you ever met someone who was self-absorbed and talked about fashion way too much? Some people talk way too much about their own appearance and what they put into it. I think 30% of the personality was a hyperbole referring to those kind of people.

9. I knew a guy like that in high school, he was always pointing out his clothes and talking about his favorite brands and how much they cost, one day i had enough and i told that nobody cares about clothes and where he got them and that i was bored to death of his bragging. That was the last time he mentioned it around me lol.

10. HereAndThere

HereAndThere Fapstronaut

Depends on how accurate my predictions on how much time beauty treatments take. I should of said a person being "30% vanity/beauty treatment" and now you will see why. We sleep 8 hours(more or less), so that reduces our daily life to 16h from the start. I dont know how much does it take to prepare face and apply makeup, including fixing it up during the day, plucking hairs, shopping for it, removing it and so on but lets say 45 mins a day in average(i know it can be done in 10 min, but i am a guy and my self esteem doesnt depend so much on how perfect i look so i dont know). That alone makes those persons life consisting of 4.7% pure makeup. Lets add two other beauty related activities a day plus adding distributed time for doing hair, which i presume isnt done every day. Lets say 45 mins for daily skin cleaning and conditioning(there are many ways to do this) and an hour for yoga session(including travel time), plus 1/2 hour of distributed daily hairdo time. All that comes to 3 hours. That brings us to 18.75% of waking time. Now take into consideration that we have some time wasters during the day which can make proportional percentage of these activities bigger and that this was a pretty reasonable schedule(just do a quick search for these kind of treatments, number of these is huge!) and couple that with the fact that doing all this is connected with how good you feel about yourself and its easily imaginable that a woman can spend third of her life doing all this. This can add up to years.

11. Moon Shot

Moon Shot Fapstronaut

Yes, I am aware that that was a hyperbole, but I still wanted clarification from @HereAndThere, and I got it. I agree with the notion that makeup (like anything else), should be used beneficially, to feel good about oneself, but once it starts to consume too much time and energy that could otherwise be engaged, it fails to benefit anyone.

12. HereAndThere

HereAndThere Fapstronaut

Hey, we are what we do. Technically, that makes most of us pervert wankers.

13. I kind of agree about the time consuming thing, but at the same time, how much time do people spend doing something they just enjoy, but it has no benefit to society in any way? Playing games, watching TV, drawing some doodles that you aren't planning on sharing with anyone, doing a puzzle, cleaning your house, etc. Makeup is just one of those things. If you spent an hour or two a day playing video games, would you think it's fair for someone to say that 30% of you, as a person, is a gamer and that that's worthless because it doesnt do anything for anyone? What if a woman spends two hours doing her hair and makeup and getting dressed, and then she goes out and conquers the day and goes to work and volunteers or creates beautiful art for the world to enjoy or contributes to society in a number of various possible ways. I think it's unfair to judge someone you dont know as being shallow and self centered simply because they have taken a lot of time to make themselves look good. Maybe they do more for the world than you do. Maybe that's the only thing they really do for themselves and then they spend the rest of their days giving and caring for others, while you're sitting around scrolling through forums and wasting time.

I'm not trying to be a dick or anything, I just dont like people unfair judging others without knowing them at all. And it seems a bit hypocritical to me, because we all spend time on things that provide nothing productive for society. I spent a few hours yesterday reading a book. That doesnt help society or do anything for anyone else, anymore than it would if I spent hours doing my makeup, but for some reason one of those is completely acceptable and one of them is judged. That just doesnt make sense to me. Makeup can be fun, especially for people who are very artistic. So if they're spending some time of their day having fun, just like you presumably do every day as well, who are you to judge them for that?

14. HereAndThere

HereAndThere Fapstronaut

I get it, dont be a dick. Gotcha.

15. Not what I said, but okay.

16. Moon Shot

Moon Shot Fapstronaut

Your thoughts resonate with me @Castielle, and yes, we truly are no one to judge how others live their life. And I don't think anyone is judging a person based on how long they spend applying makeup, or whatever it is that isn't constructively engaging, for long periods of time, but if it seemed that way from anything I wrote, I apologize. In the end, it is the quality of the rest of the day that matters, not the quantity.

We live in a world that is quick to judge, quick to draw conclusions without knowing the whole story. And that's sad. But it's true. It's funny that the same society that has set these beauty standards, deems any attempt to try and meet those standards as artificial or superficial...

17. I don't like girls wearing make-up. To be honest many girls do stuff which is just fake. High heel shoes to get bigger, push-up bras to get bigger boobs, make-up to look better, hair stuff, nails, etc.

The point is: why? Because the society leads them to do so. They think it is better, it is normal. This makes me really sad. Many years ago there where so beautiful women without all these shitty things. I mean why have there be so much make-up or other stuff. The companies just want to earn more money and people believe their shit. If a 12 year old girl has tons of make-up in their face it just destroys them. It is a devils circle (is this the right word?).
    More make-up --> worse skin --> more make-up --> worse skin and so on. And if they start even earlier the skin gets damaged so big.

My gf never wears make-up and I love her so much for this. There will never be a surprise. I mean, you can fool people in public with all that stuff. But when you find an SO he will get to know the truth behind everything. So for me there is no reason to wear make-up. Love yourself for who you are.

Just a thought: Man don't wear make-up and they have much better skin and stuff. They don't use aftershower stuff or so.

Roady likes this.
  18. I dig a girl who is true to her self and sees her own beauty. I understand a little for a former dinner date or to somewhere fancy. But out in public or at work just seems a little tacky. At my first had a managerthat used to look like a clown because she had to much make up on and it didn't look natural. But really she was cute more without and herself.
    A few months ago at my second job I actual saw a girl that turned me off, because she was overloaded with make up. I don't know if she was goth but her mouth was completely black covered with lipstick not just the lips... But over all I like girls without. I think it really shows there beauty.

19. I think its sad honestly. Especially when you take a picture and they're on there phones like they have nothing ells to do or don't want to communicate with the real world. I just hope my future girlfriend doesn't do this. Or its going to be a bumpy ride. lol

20. Your post is epic Daniel. Fake, fake, fake! High heels, gravity defying bras and war paint on face on finger and toe nails - yuck! - and hair "stuff", lol. :rolleyes:

I have had my hair the same colour and the same style since I was a boy. It is just naturally what it looks like and where it falls. Why would I want to colour it or force it into an unnatural style. Before anyone jumps in, I hated my hair colour and now I am balding. Yet I have never undertaken colouring or tried to fake my heli-pad on the front of my head, haha! :D Why? Because I am not vain. Insecurity and vanity seem to be behind the reasoning of women to be obsesses with hair.

Yuck? Yeah, yuck! To women, no, of course not. To fake faces and painting 20 nails. Doesn't it strike anyone else as totally bizarre to see a part of the human body coloured (virtually every colour possible)? This extends to the lips, the skin around the eyes and below the eyebrow, the cheeks. It is astounding to me that people go out of their way not to look natural. Some transform themselves via make-up to such an extent that it is a disguise because they are unrecognisable!

I do not agree with it, but some men have surgery or use non invasive methods to increase penile length and girth. I have never been insecure enough or vain enough to do this. Even so, for those that do, it is all buried under a couple of layers of clothing. But some women, with these push up bras, shove their organs right up in your face - literally! :eek: It may be that part of their rationale is to feel good that they have something they did not have naturally. But to have an all-too-visible, unnaturally bulging cleavage is an afront to others. It is not a front that is attractive having disproportionate blubber spilling out of their cleavage.

The shoes some women wear are crippling I should think. For the sake of their ego, they are willing to damage their feet? For what? Just to pander to their own vanity and insecurity. It may not be the only reason, but that is how I see it - IMHO.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2018
    Daniel stops likes this.