1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Do We Have Free Will?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Deleted Account, Oct 29, 2018.

1. Determinism is a nice theory insofar as it allows the believer a rest from guilt and shame. I mean if theyre not ultimately responsible for their actions then they're not wrong, bad, evil, or corrupt. It's all fun when being philosophical, however, the same person who believes this won't practice it if someone was to make an offense against them, but I digress.

I think there needs to be a distinction between influences and causes. There are plenty of influences that can effect your decisions but ultimately you are the one who consents to their influence. If there is no freewill then there is no consent.

Even for you to accept a certain philosophical system to be true, you have to consent to believe in it, therefore expressing freewill.

Deleted Account likes this.
  2. That isn't true, since we can ignore these things. I'm sure there are plenty of times when you have ignored sound advice. Why? Because we don't automatically accept theses things or adhere to them without an act of the will. This is one of the biggest falicies ahtiests make when they say "show me proof of God and I will be a follower". They assume they're going to be able automatically follow once they have the knowledge, but knowledge does not guarantee action. You still have to will to follow and this requires a choice.

3. But if there is no choice then how can those offended be practicing compassion or forgiveness? Such things would be contradictory to the reality determinists propose exists. How can forgiveness be authentic if you have no choice in the matter?

4. DucksInARow

DucksInARow Fapstronaut

people are terrified of the idea of not having free will, not that they can choose

5. We're getting all deep and philosophical here today! Well put!

DucksInARow likes this.
  6. I wouldn't say people are terrified of the belief but what that belief will bring. For example I'm not terrified of someone's belief that 2+2=5 until those people try to teach it as a being logical equation. That's when delusion has become accepted and when that happens it should terrify anyone and everyone.

7. This is like saying "The consequences of X being true would be very bad, therefore Y is true".

8. Not really. It's like saying Y is true because X is not only contradictory to all of the evidence we have and operate under but also because the believers in X don't even follow X.

9. It's funny because you're saying people are afraid to accept determinism because of their ego but fail to see the contradiction in your statement. In order for someone to accept determinism they would need to be able to have the ability to choose.

All of these reasons for why you think people fear determinism can only exist if the ability to choose exists. If there isn't a choice in the matter then no one is actually fearing anything nor can they be said to be egotistical.

Also why would I fear a belief that removes all responsibility from me for my actions? Ha!

10. Being offended, practicing compassion and forgiveness, all also determined. I've heard these kinds of things described as "moral sentiments". They are things we feel. They are connected to emotion. And we don't get to choose how we feel

I tend to agree with this. I no longer consider myself a Christian, but it sounds a lot like a secular way of saying that all people are sinful (can't help themselves) so therefore you should forgive them.

11. You keep doing this. You think that just because we have feelings that we don't choose means we don't choose what we do with those feelings. That's incorrect. I can feel forgivng but not forgive, just like how I can not feel forgivng but forgive.

See this is what I'm talking about. You can't say you agree without a choice. Also you oddly attribute to yourself the ability to leave Christianity when you didn't do anything, remember? You have no choice in the matter.

12. DucksInARow

DucksInARow Fapstronaut

apparent choices can still happen, its just there is no separate independent chooser for whom it could be 'free'!

13. Hey I didn't choose how language works! The language we use, also determined

I also want to point out that people who argue that we have free will, face an inconsistency they need to explain. The same people will have no problem believing that things in nature operate according to causes and effects, that things in our own bodies operate according to causes and effects, that even things in our own brains operate according to causes and effects. But free will is the exception to all of this cause and effect. How and why?

OK I'm done for today! Good discussion everyone!

14. So you're not freely choosing to reply to me right now, correct?

15. DucksInARow

DucksInARow Fapstronaut

There is no discreet 'me' , thats an arbitrary lassoo we throw around experience. Unless someone/something else had 'decided' to raise this topic, 'I' wouldn't be here debate the point. condition dependent phenomena.

16. You still choose to participate in the conversation. You were not forced to join or to reply. Even now you're not forced to reply to this message.

17. How? Freewill is the ability choose. Choice requires consciousness. Why? Because consciousness requires the ability to understand causes and predict effects. Without this all of our choices would be random. Freewill and cause and effect do not work against each other, they work WITH each other.

18. DucksInARow

DucksInARow Fapstronaut

yes, true volition requires separation, which is a concept, not a transcendent truth.

19. DucksInARow

DucksInARow Fapstronaut

Sit in meditation - observe the nature of mind - we don't pick our next thought, it just manifests. Theres not the presentation of 2 thoughts, one of which we prefer and select, that would be impossible. Life is a spontaneous happening, which includes the arising thought and sense "I made that happen".

20. So, basically a person who has no purpose or reason to make choices is the only person who could be said to have free will?