1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Connection between exercise and nofap success?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by cryptifly, Jun 18, 2015.

1. cryptifly

cryptifly Fapstronaut

Quick question I'm curious about: How does exercise affect the success of not fapping? I was recently told that I should exercise while working toward my nofap goals and I'm still at a loss at figuring out why. I get the exercise is good for you in general, but I'm talking about how it specifically affects your nofap goals, if it does at all. Is there any connection between exercising and nofap?

Deleted Account and wizard like this.
  2. Congrelous

Congrelous Fapstronaut

Exercise helps everything bruh.

Endorphins, cardiovascular exercise makes you think clearer, steroid hormones fill your body and make you feel better, lymph gets filtered through the body, cleaning up the joint.

Rebalancing the body and the brain is the point of rebooting. Definitely would speed things up I think.

f3arless, ReZen8ster, etsme and 3 others like this.
  3. cryptifly

cryptifly Fapstronaut

Thanks for this. I tend to hate exercising because I'm so numb to feeling pleasure that I feel its not worth the effort. I think I'll start with some light bike riding. I live next to an awesome bike riding trail on a river.

AM141 likes this.
  4. Congrelous

Congrelous Fapstronaut

I hate exercising sometimes as much as anyone, but we're all doing ourselves a disservice when we don't.

Sigma30130705 likes this.
  5. Renekton

Renekton Fapstronaut

going to the gym actually helped me a lot on nofap. the testosterone rises, and that increases your sexdrive, but the effort pays off. the first month or 2 weeks will be boring and you'll notice very few changes, but after that you'll notice that you are going over your limit everyday... you push yourself harder, and rupture through the physical and mental limits you have. about 6 months after you start the gym you'll notice a spike of strenght and that will give you a lot of confidence. you'll be healthier, happier and your motivation brakes through other matters... like studying, working, reading, doing things that a few months back would say "naahhhh, i'll try next time". it's pretty satisfying. you'll start hearing from your friends going "oh wow, you've been working out" and that's awesome to hear. believe me. all you need to say in the first few weeks and months to yourself is "f it... i'm going.".

6. ds112358

ds112358 Fapstronaut

I think it's purely psychological. However, it's easy to get carried away. High intensity workouts usually spike dopamine, adrenaline, noradrenaline and endorphins. It's easy to enjoy this feel good factor too much without being aware of it's psychological impact. You could get complacent and emotionally unbalanced, leading to urges and relapse. So just be careful.

I enjoy working out, and do it for the sake of building my body, not for other effects it may have. I think that's the right attitude.

Good luck.

DS.

Deleted Account likes this.
  7. I work out mainly cause I wanted my body to become stronger and I wanted to stay healthy. I've been an extreme chair potato for most of my life.

It has helped me out with my recovery in that it keeps my mind off of PMO. And it gives me a good feeling, even though I'm bathing in sweat and my body is sore despite only doing a low intensity jog. I considered helping me recover from PMO a side effect of my exercising; I just wanted to increase my body's strength and endurance, and my health's sake. If exercising helps you with recovery than go do whatever exercise you want (biking, in your case, brother).

8. IGY

IGY Guest

You have achieved great things - improving your body and your mind. You are nearly 6 months PMO-free, which is a brilliant result man. You are living a wonderful life! :)

9. FULLMETAL

FULLMETAL Fapstronaut

I don't know if exercise has any direct impact but ever since I took the challenge I started doing push ups and now I can do 40 in one set and everyday I do 150 total, it feels awesome and I feel very confident and powerful.

I think it has more of a psychological impact, the mental strength that you build when you push yourself to the limit everyday and say to yourself that,"I will succeed."
    It's a great feel believe me, other then push ups I go for running every now and then, that also feels awesome, you can also try the same and go for longer time frame for the challenge.

Best of luck!

10. FULLMETAL

FULLMETAL Fapstronaut

Well said!

11. bartledoo

bartledoo Fapstronaut

During nofap, you should do other things that benefit you. Shouldn't do them one at a time, just have a complete revolution.

Once you have high muscle mass and low fat, combined with nofap, you'll feel on top of the world.

12. Kenji

Kenji Guest

Don't forget balance of mind. Mind over matter after all.

I'm an athlete and I approach fitness like an opiate addict approaches an old fashioned Chinatown opium den.

Fitness is important, but let us not forget what is truly important for long term success, our hearts and minds.

Exercise of the body is vital for a healthy mind of course.

Let us not forget to exercise all aspects of our lives, as has been and probably will be reiterated many times on this forum.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 22, 2015
    Congrelous likes this.
  13. Berlengas

Berlengas Fapstronaut

I dont know about exercise and how it affects nofap.
    But exercise affects your brain. Here is a video explaining why it does.

If that is true, it also affects nofap

ReZen8ster and etsme like this.
  14. Got to Overcome

Got to Overcome Fapstronaut

Exercise has a variety of benefits, but one which hasn't been mentioned is the way in which it lends itself to goal-setting. I've found that in the battle against PMO, setting and achieving goals is one of our most powerful weapons. And exercise, whether it be lifting, running, cycling or pretty much any other form, allows us to set both long-term and short-term goals and easily track our progress.

For example, let's take running. There's a runner who currently completes 5K in 22 minutes. He wants to complete 5K in 19 minutes, and decides to give himself 6 months to accomplish this. In order to do so, he realizes he must cut 30 seconds off his time per month. He could break this down even further and set a weekly goal of cutting 7 seconds off his time per week. So the runner posts the six-month goal, the monthly goals, and the weekly goals in a clearly visible place. He carefully considers the lifestyle changes he must make (lose 1 pound per month, for example, or reduce smoking from 10 cigarettes per day to 2 cigarettes per day, or cut out all processed foods) and writes those down as well. From there, the runner carefully tracks his progress, taking note of successes and making adjustments as necessary.

Keeping track of and striving to reach goals in this way has a very positive effect on our mindsets. So exercise is beneficial not only in the way that it allows our bodies to become healthier, but also in the way that it allows us to feel good about the fact that we were able to create goals and remain disciplined enough to achieve them.

FormerFapaholic and Upgrading like this.
  15. I wouls imagine it helps for a number of reasons...

- exercise makes your body feel better and puts you in a mindset of wanting to take care of your body, which PMOing definitely doesn't do
    - exercise takes up some of your time that you might have otherwise spent PMOing
    - exercise gets out some energy, which might be helpful to fight urges, similar to people getting their anger or aggression out through exercise

FormerFapaholic likes this.
  16. I have to do it for baseball and you are right a lot of times when I worked out I got very aroused and very triggered for the next hour or 2 but thankfully I never made myself relapse from that because if I were to m from all that I would’ve loss the gains I made in the gym and have to go work for it again it does lead to a huge amount of arousal but I know I’m great enough to control myself

17. Exercise replaces a bad habit with a good one. It produces feel-good chemicals. It gives your body something to do other than jerk itself. It reduces stress you feel when NoFap. It gives you confidence.

Deleted Account likes this.
  18. Yea I have been doing NoFap for 7
    Months now and I have streaks
    Of 66 days and 138 days but I’m almost 5 months clean from P. It feels like I’ve been doing NoFap all my life already and yes I have noticed benefits and super powers ever since I started and I feel like I’m not the same person I was 7 months ago I feel so much better than before

19. HooEmAi

HooEmAi Fapstronaut

I'm a beginner here to nofap and a never-was with neurosciences. But I wager exercise has an effect on creating serotonin precursors and dopamine transmission. A healthy habit that aids in curbing depression and keeping healthy neuro balance.

I think it's beyond psychology/habit replacement, though these are also beneficial and part of the physical interactions in the brain.. Epigenetics and the brain are a heck of a new frontier.

20. runfastmd

runfastmd Fapstronaut

For me personally (as an athlete) I perform MUCH better (swim/bike/run faster) when I'm PM free. If it's during sex it doesn't seem to affect my performance but definitely a huge incentive to keep from fapping