1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Compulsive popping zits

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by 991Pure, Feb 16, 2019.

1. 991Pure

991Pure Fapstronaut

Hello everyone.
    I'm fighting with acne (puberty) I noticed i've got much more zits on my right side of face than on left. It's probably because of constantly touching, popping, and scratching pimples, blackheads and other face imperfections. Most often i touch my face unconsciously or when i'm stressed (e.g. during exams or lessons in school).
    If anyone have some tips and advices which can help then please write it down in comment. Thanks!

2. Lilla_My

Lilla_My Fapstronaut

This is a compulsive behaviour consisting of three components:

1. The acne. Creams containing vitamin A will clear this completely (available on prescription, ask your doctor). Don't bother with anything you find in a store, it won't be as effective.
    2. The compulsion. Common antidepressants are particularly well suited for OCD-related behaviours. The activity (skin picking) won't go away, but the stress that leads up to the behaviour will, resulting in a big improvement. Exercise is scientifically just as effective; half an hour of running a day grows parts of the brain that are responsible for stress management/compulsion.
    3. The activity. Here is where you have to put in the work. Count the hours/days where you succeed to refrain from this behaviour. Think deeply about how wonderful it feels to have smooth, untouched skin as frequently as you can. When the urge to touch or pick or in other ways disrupt the zits emerge, redirect the emotion with an activity that is positive - reading, listening to music, taking a bath etc. As with all compulsions, it's of vital importance that you don't beat yourself up about eventual fallbacks. If you give into the behaviour, just redirect immediately and continue on your streak free period. Your neurological pathways will change over the course of some weeks as your brain learns a new behaviour.

Best of luck to you!

3. Do you have cystic acne?

If soo, creams, retinol, etc will maybe help but not cure.

Get a prescription for accutane. It saved me.
    Don't worry about the side effect. They're over hyped. Simply take a lower dose for the first several weeks than increase to the higher one.

4. Just like me when I was a teen. Here are a few things I wish I would have done: Don't go crazy with washing and scrubbing. A couple of times a day with an acne soap is fine. Keep your hands off of your face all day! Find a good doctor to talk about this with. It is definitely connected to the PMOing, so look at your lifestyle and make the changes you need. I have a feeling you know exactly what needs to be done. You got this.

Lilla_My likes this.
  5. 3nigma

3nigma Fapstronaut

Stop being a pizza face.