1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Church

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Deleted Account, Mar 26, 2017.

Tags:

Do you go to church?

1. I'm member of a church

20 vote(s)
    41.7%
  2. I go to church but not a member

4 vote(s)
    8.3%
  3. I go to church now and again

4 vote(s)
    8.3%
  4. Use to go but don't go at the moment

7 vote(s)
    14.6%
  5. I go once or twice a year

6 vote(s)
    12.5%
  6. Went once and I hated it

1 vote(s)
    2.1%
  7. I've never been but someday I'd like go

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Never been and never will

6 vote(s)
    12.5%
  1. Today is Sunday so I thought I'd start a poll and discussion about church. Do you go to one? And why do you go or not go?

2. I go because I want to worship and hear the Word of the God.

3. I go because if find that religion is to man what water is to ducks. It's our natural habitat/home. We are moral creatures so religion is natural to us and we all follow one, whether it be one we've chosen or one we've made up ourselves. Dogmas run our lives.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2017
  4. Quiver

Quiver Distinguished Fapstronaut

I still go church every Sunday but that's mainly because I'm kinda obliged by my parents. I'm still confused about what to believe or not

HopefulChristian likes this.
  5. I went once as a kid because my mom dragged me there. I remember everybody kneel at entrance and I found that weird, I did not understood why. I looked around and I remember feeling this negative, unpleasant taste of vibration in the air. The environment reminded me of some type of funeral. Everybody dressed in fancy, dark clothing, looking all sad and serious, music and talking was very monotone and boring. And the big dead man statue hanging in front if everybody scared me. All that in combination made me cry. I made a lot of noise so my mom let me go out and play with another kid on the stairs of the entrance while they were done. That was first and the last time I was to church. Absolutely hated it. Now decades later when I sometimes walk by the church and see door open and inside of it I still see that gloomy interior and it still reminds me of funeral and gives off unpleasant vibrations.

Now I don't go because I am not Christian. All tho I doubt I would go even if I would end up being one. There was a time when I was thinking about being one. But I always saw the Church as separate from religion. Well, maybe not separate but... I don't know... not necessary. Sure they provide community for people who needs it, they provide guidance for people who needs it and they serve as an advertisement company for Christian God. But other than that I just don't see a point. Why would I need a middle man between me an God, never made sense to me.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2017
  6. Quiver

You probably went to a catholic church. It's quite different from the church I go to. I can relate to your view of the church. A lot of (catholic) customaries/things don't make sense

7. They make sense if you understand the history of Christendom.

HopefulChristian and Quiver like this.
  8. Quiver

Yeah. But it is still strange to me

9. I think it would be strange to anyone who doesn't understand the history/theology, Quiver.

10. thatoneguy123

thatoneguy123 Fapstronaut

I'm starting to think all religions are man made... Take a deep breath man how the flying fuck did we exist out of "nothing" so fkin amazing man mind fuck x100000... I think this is beyond any religion man you can not fit infinity into a book 0_0 mind fuck man 0_0

Charliesamuels likes this.
  11. thatoneguy123

thatoneguy123 Fapstronaut

How did existence even exist? Man we are part of something so dam massive i still have a few percent of religious programming left in me but I'm certain this is beyond religion mind fuck when you think about this man woo wee... The more answers the more questions the only thing we really need to know is that we know nothing 0_0

HopefulChristian and Headspace like this.
  12. Quiver

That's probably true. But I wonder how such a pure religion could be changed over time by men. Why does it have to be changed?

13. Godsrottweiler

Godsrottweiler Fapstronaut

I go to church regularly and my kids attend school there. I question my faith sometimes but still go.

14. What's changed? The Catholic Church has kept the same doctrines since its beginning. In fact it's unchanging doctrine is one of the many marks Catholicism boasts about.

HopefulChristian and Dr. Jekyll like this.
  15. I'm actually thinking of going to a Catholic Church... For most of my life I've been to Charismatic churches and I've pretty much have had enough of them. I find such churches to be so emotionally driven and so simplistic. It seems to me less charismatic churches aren't as emotionally driven or simplistic, so that's why I'm thinking of going to a Catholic Church. It also helps that the Church is on my running route so it's easy for me to get to.

I was thinking about going back to my old church but I'm not sure if I could stomach it. The last time I went back was in May but I find myself getting annoyed about how emotional and simplistic certain people in the church can be. Then there's also how I different politically from people in the church. It would be alright if politics were left out of the services but they're not. Fortunately not every pastor in the church bring politics into their sermons but one pastor does and I find very difficult to listen to him. Then there's the church's eschatological position. When it comes eschatology I'm agnostic but for a church to say only their belief is the only right belief is wrong, I think.

It's sad things are like this with me. I didn't want to leave the church because I have some good friends who still go there. I think if I actually leave the church I'll still be good friends with thrm but I just don't think I can go back there.

16. Quiver

Okay. Maybe I'm a bit misinformed. But the thing I'm wondering is why certain things get a lot of attention. Like mother Mary or why the Pope has a lot of power. Perhaps I should learn some more on how that happened to actually understand it

17. Godsrottweiler

Most Catholic customs make sense if you really take the time to understand them. Let's talk about this.

18. Quiver

Wonderful. I don't really got anything against the catholic church to begin with. I just never really understood them fully.

So lemme ask you something hat I don't really understand. Why does the Pope has such a mighty position in the Church?

19. In order to understand what Christianity has now, you will need to understand what Judaism had back then. Christianity is the fulfillment of Judaism which means everything they have we have but fulfilled. Temple, priesthood, confession, sacrifice, chair of Moses (known as the chair of Peter in Christianity). The authority of the Pope was given to Peter by Christ with the presentation of Keys. Just as the Divine Commandments were given to Moses on the mountain. God appointing one man to be His visible head amongst His people is a common theme throughout the OT and is continued by Christ (God) in the NT.

20. Godsrottweiler

According to tradition God said to Peter upon this rock I will build my church and he became the first church leader. The pope is not infallible. There have been flawed popes for sure.