1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Changing direction with martial Arts

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Westsidejimmy, Feb 21, 2019.

1. Westsidejimmy

Westsidejimmy Fapstronaut

So I have been a grappler for several years doing bjj and aikido. I've never been injured in bjj but in Aikido I have suffered several injuries over the years. Even a ruptured bicep. I just found a really good Tai Chi and wushu teacher near me.
    It's hard to leave something you've grown to love but I can't see keeping up Aikido and sustaining these injuries over and over.

Also I have come to realize that a good sensei, sifu, or master is also somewhat of a healer. Unfortunately my current sensei while possessing massive martial knowledge does not possess this characteristic at all. We have a problem keeping folks in the dojo because of it.

Anyway enough of my rant. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced something similar.

2. i took taekwondo for 3 years, my sa bum was a pretty chill dude, he had broken both his feet so he was always in pain and could not do like any kicks at all, but i learned a lot from him, he was definitely not someone you wanted to get in a fight with, i hated sparring with him because he would hit hard by accident and during demonstrations he would like flip me in circles and i would land hard lol, but i was young so i could handle it, i would love to find another school one day to practice. My advice for getting injured is just take a break and recover, it might be a good idea to not do those things anymore or find out how you can condition yourself to not get injured.

3. I've done Muay Thai, BJJ and Kali and I've spent alot of time sparring. There's a thin line between training hard enough to push yourself and staying safe. You have to spar to learn to fight but when you're sparring you shouldn't be going full strengths. If you have alot people are getting hurt due to the instructors negligence, thats a problem. You need to find safer partners and coaches to train with before you end up with a permanent injury.

4. bobross

bobross Fapstronaut

I've been doing koryu uchinadi and still do, our current sensei always said that injury has no place in good training. Sure, we get home sore and bruised, my shoulders hurt a lot until I learned how to land the roll properly, ate punches and kicks and had limbs twisted the wrong way, but this is discomfort, not injury. Injuries only come from mistakes.

5. agreed, discomfort is part of martial arts, but injury will only keep you from it.

6. Westsidejimmy

I agree. I've practiced multiple forms and really enjoy Aiki forms. I just found out about a Daito Ryu Aikijutsu club near me. Biggest problem I'm having right now ous training under someone who doesn't have his life together outside of the dojo. My sensei has vast martial knowledge in many forms of budo, but he has become detached from teaching.

And about injuries I've already had a bicep torn off and reattached due to training with an unskilled and overly aggressive partner.

7. Westsidejimmy

Agreed,

When I practiced BJJ I never received what I would consider an injury. That was in a competition school too. I love Budo, especially the weapons, but with Aikido it is very hard to find good training partners. In my dojo there are really only 2 guys I have found that I can train with.
    People tend to be either unpredictable, stiff, or explosive at inappropriate times due to the breadth of physical ability in most Aikido dojo. And honestly in Aikido there are some techniques that just wouldn't work.

My latest strain was due to a senior student that I am 100% I could overpower due to my other martial skills and comparative size. I literally thought about doing a leg sweep and getting him into a collar choke. Was playing it out in my mind but I took a break and switched to a different partner. This is what has really been bothering me about my current training situation. I know I could submit all but 2 people in this dojo and its getting hard to take it with a grain of salt.

8. i never received any injuries during training or class, tho i have bad wrists so those got hurt a lot.