1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Catholic / Orthodox Fapstronauts

A group for members of all religions, or no religion at all, to talk about religion

1. Ze'ev

Ze'ev Fapstronaut

Attention to other things is definitely important. Right now I'm volunteering half-day for my church's kids summer camp, so I don't think about it at all during that time, but later it often comes back. I try to write, but sometimes my ideas and creative flow can't outpace my libido, and so I get bored and frustrated.

The larger problem is that, while I agree that a relationship can provide something to focus on, I have no idea how much more of the foreseeable future will pass before I'm not single, much less in a relationship of that kind of caliber and commitment (again, for reasons that a few of you know).

2. Ze'ev

Ze'ev Fapstronaut

I messed up. Ah well. Nothing more to do except hit the ground running. I think morning and evening devotions are a good idea, as that's something I want to do more regularly anyway.

Dallas22 and Sursum Corda like this.
  3. headedup

headedup Fapstronaut

I've been off a while, but congrats Leo! And I will share that link to the Catholic Education Resource Center on the front page of the thread; thanks @peregrinnus . @Ze'ev , this is a hard one. Without giving away the contents of NoFap Academy too much, I can highly recommend that you start asking yourself the question: what's so bad about sexual energy? Why should I get rid of it? Once you realize that it is only experienced as "bad" because of our deeply-ingrained habits of thought, you will be able to affect these habits, and start "embracing" the energy rather than trying to expel it.

Deleted Account likes this.
  4. moonshapedpool

moonshapedpool Fapstronaut

Hi guys, would appreciate your prayers. For those who haven't seen my intro post, I've been in a pretty difficult place internally for a while, which has meant on and off depression. I hit a really tough spot last night, kind of one of these moments where you're not sure how long you can go in life. Out of that state I gave in to the urge and have ended up resetting with MO—so the medicating instinct kicked in hard.

The only way I'm going to be able to deal with the immediate PMO stuff is in dealing with the causes of depression. Unfortunately I'm not too sure how, other than pursuing daily prayer (terrible at that) and... something. :(

Deleted Account and headedup like this.
  5. peregrinnus

peregrinnus Fapstronaut

Hey thereisjon,

Sure thing, will keep you in my prayers. I have friends who struggle with the same sort of on/off depression, so I know a little about how hard that sort of thing is. But you're not alone, alright? Head up and keep looking forward!

I'm not sure if you've tried Counselling or talking to someone else about your issues, but that might help a little. But if you don't feel ready for it then that's perfectly fine too :)

6. moonshapedpool

moonshapedpool Fapstronaut

Hi @peregrinnus, thanks and appreciate your encouragement. I guess that depends on what you mean by being 'alone'—in basic terms, thankfully I do have regular people I run into. I live with two other roommates, but they haven't been the type really to talk or to be around with. I'm usually working out of a PhD office I share with one or two other people, and so they're nice, but we've not been the type to go out much or do things—I guess academic researchers are stereotypically bad at that. And in terms of church people, I know 3 or so people from the local Orthodox scene here, but mostly people I just see every (or every other) Sun, and not with much serious contact beyond formality. I think the sense of loneliness or isolation I deal with is having people I can kind of open up to about things in general over a drink—not necessarily everything, or necessarily deep stuff all the time—but even just shoot the breeze. In the past I was fortunate enough to develop friendships pretty fast along those lines, but it's been pretty hard here—I guess more so with the language difference.

7. Mr Eko

Mr Eko Fapstronaut

Hi guys,

I've been using Catholic teaching about God's grace and you know..... I've been winning with God for 15 months. I'm glad I found this thread and I'm about to read the whole content. I'm sure that Catholic and Orthodox Christians have the most powerful means to win this war but the question is if they use them effectively....

8. ProphetOfDoom

ProphetOfDoom Fapstronaut

Greetings!
    I was raised in my local Protestant Baptist church. However, for the past year I've been impacted with loops of despair, disappointment and anger. These emotional issues were a result of continued tragic events and negative circumstances in my life. I'm going through some rough times these days.
    Now, I need some guide and advice. I'm considering to convert to Catholicism. I believe I need this change in order to rebuild my faith. Should I look forward to Catholicism or should I keep an eye out for any other protestant denomination?
    Also, I need to clarify that the local Baptist church I grew up in has stopped living by the Gospel. Corruption, greed, covetousness are the three vices currently ruling this church.
    What are your suggestions?

9. Mr Eko

Mr Eko Fapstronaut

Hi Prophet,

The whole of truth possesses Catholic Church but it doesn't mean that the Catholics live according to this truth. It depends on a man. There are lots of the Catholic whose only connection with the church is to go there occasionally, they scarcely pray, they live according to their desires, their faith is dead.....
    But there are some who want to live like saints and for such men the Catholic Church gives the best means of improvement, growth in grace, sanctification, liberation from sin, addictions.....
    It depends on the individual what they choose - to be a faithless Catholic living like a pagan, sometimes praying like a robot repeating texts of prayer without faith......
    Or to become a follower of Christ, guided by tips of saints , collected during 2000 years of faith experience, men experiencing miracles, men changed by God's grace...
    Many years I was in the first group and those were my years of pain, addiction, slavery to sin, fear - a senseless absurd life full of pursuit after pleasure...
    Now I have beentrying to be in the secong group and I can experience the first results - I'm no more an addict to PMO, my life is improving in all aspects, I'm getting more joyful, all my relations to my family,people get better....

So I invite you to join the Catholic Church but only if you choose the second group. It would be totally pointless to convert and stay in the vast first group...
    The choice is yours, mere changing churches doesn't help, what helps is to change the groups.......
    Telling like it is

Last edited: Jun 19, 2015
  10. From today's mass readings:

The lamp of the body is the eye. If your eye is sound, your whole body will be filled with light;
    but if your eye is bad, your whole body will be in darkness. And if the light in you is darkness, how great will the darkness be.

11. Hi @ProphetOfDoom, I would only convert to Catholicism if you believe it's true. There are many differences between Catholicism and Protestantism so I would continue to pray about and research those. www.catholic.com, Called To Communion, and similar sites are good resources as well as reading the Catechism of the Catholic Church (available online).

I say this because we should be careful not base our beliefs on our feelings (which we know well from nofap). There is probably corruption to some degree in every church because every human is imperfect but the important thing is whether or not that church teaches the Truth as Jesus handed down to his apostles.

I wish you well on your journey and know that there are many Catholics online and in your local parish who are ready and willing to answer your questions. You can enroll in RCIA at your local Catholic church to learn and you don't necessarily have to convert but if God is calling you, you may want to do what he says. Praying for you and all who are searching for truth.

12. headedup

headedup Fapstronaut

@ProphetOfDoom , @Mr Eko and @darknight are both totally right. The best ways to do this are to research and to pray. The very best way you can research BY FAR is to join RCIA. If you want the answer to a specific question, you can ask it. Whereas if you simply google answers, they might not be accurate or informative, or if you simply try to read a whole book, you may never find the answers. RCIA will be great for showing you what is unique and attractive about the Catholic Church. And if you do not become a Catholic, it will still show you more about Christianity in general. God bless you and keep praying!

funkycedars and Deleted Account like this.
  13. peregrinnus

peregrinnus Fapstronaut

Gospel, Mark 4:35-41

35 With the coming of evening that same day, he said to them, 'Let us cross over to the other side.'
    36 And leaving the crowd behind they took him, just as he was, in the boat; and there were other boats with him.
    37 Then it began to blow a great gale and the waves were breaking into the boat so that it was almost swamped.
    38 But he was in the stern, his head on the cushion, asleep.
    39 They woke him and said to him, 'Master, do you not care? We are lost!' And he woke up and rebuked the wind and said to the sea, 'Quiet now! Be calm!' And the wind dropped, and there followed a great calm.
    40 Then he said to them, 'Why are you so frightened? Have you still no faith?'
    41 They were overcome with awe and said to one another, 'Who can this be? Even the wind and the sea obey him.'

Just want to share the Gospel reading for today with you guys, and a short reflection that I had about it after listening to the priest's homily today.

Whenever we read this passage, the focus is always on how Jesus will help us to overcome our problems, how we should trust him to calm the storm and save us from adversity. But from the start of the passage, we can see that Jesus is actually the one who LEADS them into the storm (verse 35). Somehow I don't think Jesus was oblivious to the fact that there was going to be a storm - I'm sure he knows full well that there will be a storm. But he tells them to go forth anyway. That's probably something that struck me, hard, that has never struck me before. Sometimes, He WANTS us to be in that storm, to face it, to feel its power, to feel our own uncertainty, our own insecurity, and then, in the end, still turn to Him. That might sound a little like Jesus trying to inflate his own sense of superiority (mwahahah feel how you need me, humans!) but I don't think it's that. It's more that He's trying to guide us, to show us a way to grow in faith and trust, somehow.

Still not entirely clear, I guess. Bears additional reflection. hurr. But just some preliminary thoughts.

14. Mr Eko

Mr Eko Fapstronaut

To last Gospel reading,

a great gale and the waves were breaking into the boat = an attack of a strong temptation to do PMO
    the boat so that it was almost swamped. =we in our body in the danger to act out
    But he was in the stern, his head on the cushion, asleep. = Jesus waiting for our calls for help
    They woke him and said to him = our prayer for rescue from the assault
    And he woke up and rebuked the wind and said to the sea, 'Quiet now! Be calm!' =JESUS at work rebuking our enemy and telling the urge, sexual desire in our body to calm down
    And the wind dropped, and there followed a great calm.= our victory over the temptation and deep inner peace and healing caused by Him
    'Why are you so frightened? Have you still no faith?' = Why are you so frightened in temptation, have you fogotten this - „ask and it will be given to you ” ?
    Even the wind and the sea obey him.' = even our addicted body and mind at temptation and urge obey Him

Dallas22 and headedup like this.
  15. Interesting that Jesus is sleeping while the boat is rocking and filling with water. Like he's completely at peace even though his life feels like it's ending.

I felt like that when I recently lost my job but the same night I went to adoration even though I wanted to go crazy. I also could have started applying for jobs that night. Instead I went to mass every day, carefully updated resumes and made contacts. Got a dream job in less than a week. God takes care of us even if it doesn't feel like it.

16. headedup

headedup Fapstronaut

Thanks for the share!

17. Hey guys... Relapsed today... I really think I need to get serious with myself on this. (Seems like I always say that.) I've gotta stop treating myself like a warrior having to battle it, and start treating myself like an adult making a life decision to better himself. If we are going to be good husbands and fathers one day, we must be willing to stand up and live by the Word, and be willing to demonstrate with our lives what is right and wrong. But we cannot do it without God. Pray for me please. Even if it's a 2 second long "God please help him." I need it in a bad kind of way.

18. Mr Eko

Mr Eko Fapstronaut

Hi Denton,

Read this story about the venerable Matt Talbot . He was a heavy drinker and was rescued by God. Look carefully how this happened. Don't be afraid - It is not a long story. I have been using his way out of the addiction succefully.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matt_Talbot

Sursum Corda and Deleted Account like this.
  19. headedup

headedup Fapstronaut

Denton, there needs to be more than being "serious." After every relapse, I suggest writing down three or more concrete lessons learned from the relapse, lessons you had not known before. Then, write down practical ways to turn those lessons into strategies to help you next time an urge strikes. You can do this and are in my prayers, as always!

20. Mr Eko

Mr Eko Fapstronaut

Way to go!
    You showed and proved with your life that it's enough to strive to God, look for His Kingdom, trust Him and the rest (here a good job) will be given in addition. With such an approach you'll definitely quit PMO soon. And not only PMO.
    Now you're an inspiration for me how to look for a job.