1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Can't get over my ex

Discussion in 'Loneliness' started by James232, Sep 8, 2017.

1. James232

James232 Fapstronaut

So my ex broke up with me about 2 months ago. This was a complete shock considering she said she loved me and cared about me and blah blah blah. She even said I was 'the one'. Then she just suddenly stopped talking to me for a few days and literally got her friend to break up with me for her... She gave me a list of the things that I did wrong which was full of lies. Just one example is that she said I was coming over too much. She ended up in tears begging me to stay the night about a week before this happened. We talked about everything on this list and she said she was cool with every bit of it (before this happened obviously). She blocked me on everything after this.

Anyway I realize now how fake she is and how manipulative and emotionally abusive she was through the whole relationship, but it's been 2 months and I can't stop thinking about her despite hating her. I can't stop trying to look for some logic in what happened that would make her out to not be the piece of shit that I know she really is... I can't stop thinking about what I would say if she messaged me again or if I saw her (it wouldn't be nice, haha). I've even turned down a few chances at getting laid because I keep comparing girls to her and I keep thinking about her when i get intimate with anyone and it makes me really anxious.

Right now I'm on day 8 of nofap and I know I'm in in for the long haul; but I know that the hornier I get the more I'm going to think about her. How the FUCK do I get her off my mind and stop trying to rationalize everything and go into 'what ifs'?

Last edited: Sep 8, 2017
  2. ValueLiberty

ValueLiberty Fapstronaut

You just need to move on. Do you not realize it is over?

3. James232

James232 Fapstronaut

That's what I'm asking man I don't know how! I completely realize it's over... I wouldn't wanna be with someone like that anyway. Just coming to terms with the lies and manipulation is what I don't know how to do.

4. Poseidon

Poseidon Fapstronaut

By fucking other girls. Fuck the pain away.

5. You might get over her by reading a biography of every US president and watching lots of standing up comedy on YouTube.

6. You fell for her, you're human. She had good points but she's not someone you'd want to be in a relationship with, apparently.

Hell, we all became P addicts! We all make mistakes. We've just got to forgive ourselves, walk away from the bad stuff and let good things into our lives.

Betterment and James232 like this.
  7. ValueLiberty

ValueLiberty Fapstronaut

It does not sound to me like you are over her. You are still trying to make some sense and logic out of someone that you say you would not even want to be with. Someone who you say you hate and is a "piece of shit".

Hate is a strong word. It indicates to me that you have some unresolved feelings towards her.

Hate and love come from the same place... You need to forgive... Yourself and her if you can...

Only after you forgive yourself for dating that piece of shit and forgive her for not being the person you thought...

Then you will be able to move on and love again...

Like I said, hate and love come from the same place...

8. James232

James232 Fapstronaut

You're right, despite not wanting to be with her any more I can't stop thinking about her. I think it's mostly the lack of closure and the way things ended that mess me up the most. That and finding out that she was so manipulative and fake. I don't think I've trusted anyone as much as I did her; so uncovering all the lies and manipulation is hitting me hard. That's why I'm here asking for help.

I've never considered that hate and love come from the same place. That leaves me with some thinking to do. Can't forgive her or myself yet but hopefully it'll come with time.

Deleted Account likes this.
  9. Betterment

Betterment Fapstronaut

Yup. Indifference is actually the opposite of love, not hate.

10. Runtilmylegsdropoff

Runtilmylegsdropoff Fapstronaut

When I went through a breakup I just immersed myself into work and then also got a rebound girl. Of course it isn't the best solution, but I tell you it 100 percent beat pining over an ex while staring at the walls at home.

11. CompulsiveCrab

CompulsiveCrab Fapstronaut

Time will settle what your feeling. It's still new and current. It's normal to be hung up on it and keep revisiting the topic looking for a possibility for it to be renewed. Or if not that a resentfulness towards that person. Just focus on you

12. nofepper

nofepper Fapstronaut

2 months is nothing, it's about 20 months when my ex broke my heart and i still think often about her...damn...

13. HappyDaysAreHereAgain

HappyDaysAreHereAgain Fapstronaut

It takes time. How much time depends on you and the relationship. It is a bit like grief; your dreams and future died. One break up almost cost me my job and took a couple of years to be ready to reenter the hunt. It is a chance to better understand yourself and the art of building a relationship. In my misery, I made some big changes, I expanded my horizons, and I grew emotionally, so my wife got a far better man than my gf dumped.
    In some cultures there is more group socializing among singles, I think that would help speed recovery.
    Best of luck with your recovery.

Deleted Account and James232 like this.
  14. I think that's what it is with every guy that finally finds the girl for him , and does everything right only to be destroyed by this manipulative , lying person. It's not so much as the break up but it's how they go about doing so, and you're stuck without even an explanation

15. Derek5150

Derek5150 Fapstronaut

Keep climbing to the top with abstinence. I think it's best that you guys have some distance apart. If you guys come in contact, I highly doubt things will repair itself. Only time will heal. Who knows? Abstinence will enable you to reach a higher state of mind to combat your thoughts on this issue. According to Steven R. Covey's 7 Habits of Highly Effective People, most of us are reactive -- we react to everything. The goal should be to be Proactive: keep yourself busy, occupied, moving onto the next thing in life. Think about your next goal in life.

Don't waste time on this anymore, because if it gives you anxiety where your thoughts keep running into intersections, it won't make you any happier because your emotions keep going back and forth. Your emotions have to run in a linear motion. It's a one-way street for you, not a 2 way intersection where she commits to an action and you react back-and-forth. Don't wait, move, move ahead because you'll regret all of this if you keep thinking about her.

Don't worry about her if she's a piece of shit. Let that be her problem, or, the next guys problem. You have to worry about yourself, bro. If you keep on thinking of this logic to think of what a piece of shit she is, you'll only hate yourself more because only a piece of shit would recognize another piece of shit. So, if you're better than this (which I imagine that you truly are), then move forward. If you even think about letting her comeback, think about what you said about her, "she's a piece of shit." Flush it down the toilet and move-on.

Don't waste your time being passive-aggressive if you guys do come in contact. Just end it short on a polite note, be respectful and remind her that you have things to take care of. If she wants to talk about it, you have things to take care of. You don't need to be reminded of the things that make you upset.

Keep it together.

vince_31 likes this.
  16. recoome

recoome Fapstronaut

the what ifs are exhausting and tempting as well. i've seen such women who can be snappy and they are terrible.
    i now stay away from such people. i avoid making new friends.

the less the better.