1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Can I really do this ? Yes I can

Discussion in 'Success Stories' started by SimonL66, Jan 16, 2019.

1. SimonL66

SimonL66 Fapstronaut

I have managed to kick the PM habit after 35 years+ addiction i.e. most of my adult life.

130+ days now and so thoroughly off the old PM routine that it has been around 15 days since i last logged in here. I used to come here as an alternative whenever I felt the urge.

What worked for me, in order of impact:
    1. Remove the temptations
    2. Share your challenge with someone or with others on this forum
    3. Set minor milestones that lead towards the end goal
    4. Fill 'dead' time with other stuff - reading, studying, exercise, work , social company..
    5. Work on the underlying issue that makes you seek solace in PM.

To those of you out there still trying , I would say keep trying. I started this process in August 2017 and had many false starts and relapses until I finally cracked it this year. As I've said many times before, the relapses were a positive experience in terms of learning how and why I was tempted and therefore what to do about it - see #1 above.

I don't think this is over yet for me. The habits of 35 years will take longer to completely un-learn than 130 days but I feel I am over the hugely challenging phase of resisting the urge to relapse on a daily basis and now it feels like it is getting easier, week to week. The benefits of abstaining begin to accrue and returning to the 'old ways' become less and less attractive as time goes on.

Thanks to all on the forums who liked and commented on my posts. That was a huge benefit for me . If nothing else I will keep coming back here to encourage others.

2. 1 Tes. 4:3

1 Tes. 4:3 Fapstronaut

Thanks for your post, it encourages me to keep on. Congratulations!

3. Walk_it_out

Walk_it_out Fapstronaut

Love to hear these man..this is your story and it's very encouraging. Thanks for giving back and sharing. Helps us all. May you continue on this journey to higher heights! Thanks again

SimonL66, SirErnest and Captain! like this.
  4. Really nice post, and many congratulations! Especially helpful to hear of the false starts.
    I hope complacency doesn't arise, and best of luck to you!

SimonL66 and Captain! like this.
  5. 4DCreator

4DCreator Fapstronaut

WEll done to you, very good post !

SimonL66 likes this.
  6. control your life

control your life Distinguished Fapstronaut

congtats on 130 days ! nice inspirational post ! thank you for it !

SimonL66 and Walk_it_out like this.
  7. pp7711

pp7711 Fapstronaut

Great post - very clear. I can relate to your thought processes and advice.

No surrender, no going back to negative old ways...

PRTe and SimonL66 like this.