1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Can I be forced to go to church?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by WhyNotStop, Jun 9, 2019.

1. Concerning the church, I'd advice you to make your folks happy and keep visiting. Doesn't mean you need to believe that stuff. You're the sole inhabitant of your cranium and it's nobody else's business what's going on up there. If you don't want to let Jeebus in, simply don't.

Deleted Account likes this.
  2. Hey king, I’m explaining the “foreign mentality”.

It’s When first born immigrants don’t accept the “liberty” for their kids in the land where they migrate.

When people migrate from other cultures have kids in the states often times what is practiced is “we may love the US but we are going to keep our culture from our home (country).”

That can sometimes include the patriarchy ( or their authority attitude) dictating lots of things: what the kids will study, religion, who/when/how marriage can happen, when you move out, etc. many times we send money back to wherever home was, and it’s kinda a ritual or rite of passage.

Happens in Latino cultures, Africa , Asian and Indian mostly.
    Basically it’s a cultural thing we have and it sounded like something similar might be in the backdrop. I’d prefer to ask and not assume.

3. onceaking

onceaking Fapstronaut

It is but it's forced upon them by the government. Like people in prison, most probably don't want to be there but they have to be there because they've been forced to go there. Sure in some case people aren't forced but I don't think you can say no one can't ever be forced to do anything.

4. onceaking

onceaking Fapstronaut

I don't think it's limited to just those cultures. Not sure if the words foreign mentality is helpful.

5. Freedom_from_PMO

Freedom_from_PMO Fapstronaut

What do you mean by that? I suspect it is rather about your parents than religion. What denomination are your parents?

6. No, you can't be forced to go to church.

7. Freedom_from_PMO

I would advice having a break from your parents but not from religion completely. Look at it through your own eyes, not your parents'. Spirituality is like any skill or knowledge - it is hard to come back after a break. I would advice to see different churches and rites in your collage town.

8. jk243

jk243 Fapstronaut

But it is in God; that you will be find hapiness and peace. From my experience; don't be deceive, you will waste your time if you run from Him.

9. jk243

jk243 Fapstronaut

Even tho I agree with others here that you don't need to forced by your parents to go to church ...

10. I don't think it's necessarily just his parents that he's referring to. I think he might be feeling like his religious pursuits are holding him back from doing the things he wants to do. If he wants to take a break from the church, then that's his right. God does not condone forcing His word onto anyone, they have to come to Him on their own.

11. Been there, done that. You are not independent. You want your family to provide for you and they expect you to go to church, fair deal imo. I too live with my family and I have to agree with the disadvantages it is associated with. You can't eat cake and have cake but you can talk to your parents and try to explain them your situation.

need4realchg likes this.
  12. Even if they don't agree with it, his parents still have to respect his decision. To emotionally manipulate him into going to church, in my opinion, would be against God to begin with. You can't force anyone to go to Him, they have to come to Him on their own.

13. Freedom_from_PMO

What I wanted to say is that God does not force anything on us, we can follow or not. The preassure to do things was from parents I guess.

14. Fightyourlowerself

Fightyourlowerself Fapstronaut

@WhyNotStop

Maybe you can use the bible as a reason because in the Quran we have a verse [2:256] - "There's no compulsion in the religion".

Maybe there's a similar verse in the bible?

15. You are a grown man but you said you live in your parents house right? If you want to eat their bologna sandwiches that they pay for I guess you can be forced to go to church. I go through the same things with my stepson who still lives at home. He's a great boy but I have to let him go up and do his own thing at the same time.

WhyNotStop likes this.
  16. Christian, Pentecostal.

17. I understand that. I respect my parents and they've never had any behavioral problems from me. I just see all these Christian children my age who are so innocent, so blind to the real world around them. Then I see myself refusing to enjoy life by doing things average teens do (such as sex) and that reminds me of those innocent Christian children my age. Am I just another puppet? Is religion a burden on who I really am. Has it prevented me from enjoying the many pleasures of life due to fear? Religion feels like a heavy ass rock on who I am, I want to do things but this imaginary wall is preventing me (not saying God is fake). I can't be the only Christian teen that feels like this.

18. I know I've been in religion for all 19 years of my life. I just hate living life with set rules that govern who I am. I hate it when religious people argue on what you can and can't do according to a book called the Bible.
    This video explains how I feel.

19. I'm agnostic when it comes to claims about God and religion and I know I said I would take a break from discussing anything regarding God/religion/faith etc but I think you should listen to your parents when it comes to copulation. You should wait until marriage if you want to do that sort of thing. I'm a teen myself and one thing that I definitely agree with religion on is keeping yourself pure until marriage. So many teens have their lives messed up today with diseases and unwanted pregnancies etc because they didn't listen to their parents and allowed their lusts to control them. Wait until marriage and listen to your parents on this, they have your best interest in mind. Who cares what other teens are doing? I certainly don't and I don't feel as though I'm missing out on anything. Aren't you called to be set apart from the world as a Christian anyway? Sorry if I come across as though I'm preaching... that's not my intention, I just don't want you to do something that you'd eventually regret.