1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

can a Christian be a fighter pilot?

For Fapstronauts who are disciples of Christ

1. brilliantidiot

brilliantidiot Fapstronaut

Assuming I can pass the tests etc., there are several questions I have:

1. I'm just not sure I can live having killed people, even in an honorable way it might bug me forever, I am worried I'd think things like: How many of the Lords people that could have become Christians did I just send to hell? etc....

2. The fighter pilot community is NOT very Christian. I am worried it might end as me conforming to them instead of vice versa. Even if not in the big things (eg. prostitutes) maybe in the little things (eg. mannerism) you get the idea.

3. Risk. Even if in theory it would be ok, would it endanger my faith? Could I still keep God first in my life? As Rich Mullins said, "save me from those things that might distract me......I don't want to lose the eternal for the things that are passing".

There are some more but these are the big points off the top of my cranium...Oh, and yes I have been/will be praying about it, although if I get an answer it probably won't be as simple as 'yes' or 'no'.

2. José Bonaparte

José Bonaparte Fapstronaut

I go through the same doubt, whether it's to dedicate myself to something or not, but if God speaks to me, to tell me not to do something, it's because He wants your good, He wants you to realize your dreams. If somehow I really realize that this is pushing me away from Him, I must move on and change. I understand the desire you can have for this dream, it is really difficult to know if we are doing it for ourselves or for it. It is a mystery, but if I, you, seek Him and your answer, he will show us. I do not know if it's okay to be a fighter pilot, but I know you can protect innocent people from terrorist attacks or something, it's not all bad, but it's up to you. It's about you and God. I want to help you and he wants you to make dreams happen, but the dream that makes you happy and brings you closer to him. I think we should have patience, I have my time and you have your time. If you do not agree to something ,If you want to talk, I'm here. And He's always there to talk.
    And if you notice in my english , mistakes , forgive-me , i'm still training.

brilliantidiot likes this.
  3. If you don't have any peace about the red flags going off in your head, that may be your answer.
    It would be different if you were saved while in the military, but as you said, you may be stepping into a world of temptation
    that may be hard on your faith unless God had without a doubt called you to it?

Maybe if you don't pass the test, could be a sign from Him?

I like the Rich Mullins reference, I defiantly have some of his songs in my music library.

4. I would pass any job that involves killing people, even if they paid me 200k per month. Really. I imagine it a damn nightmare to know i killed people..

5. That is the other part of the equation, isn't it.
    There has to be other job opportunities out there that wouldn't have so much concern as with what brilliant is already struggling with now?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2018
  6. brilliantidiot

yeah there are other career options, but there are several reasons I want to be a pilot in particular:

1. My mom is very sick and will likely die soon (within the next year or so), I think being a pilot would be a good way not to "bog down" in grief. I just don't think I would have the motivation (soon after my mom dies) to study to become something I'm not really into.

2. My mom's rapid decline has apparently caused me a lot of anxiety problems, I want to be able to cope with high-stress situations and beat them, I want "a heart of flesh and nerves of steel". I feel like I would be in danger of extreme cowardice and nervousness if I just, say, work at the mall or whatever.

3. I love all aircraft :)

7. José Bonaparte

José Bonaparte Fapstronaut

I really see that you do not see it just as a job, it's more than that. I love it. And I'm sorry about your mother, it must be a difficult situation. But God is with you. Your work will help you to have nerves of steel, but you do not need the work to endure the situations, if you trust God, this will comfort you. But war can bring sorrows, not just courage.
    It's up to you to decide, try to look at the good and bad side of the job. And make your decision together with God.

But you must always put God in your plans, because He knows the future, and He knows what will happen, and He wants our good. I do not want to make you give up work or something, I just want to see you make the best decision. And always have Him in your plans. Talk to him. :D

8. Ra's Al Ghul

Ra's Al Ghul Fapstronaut

Yes! Didnt you see Top Gun? They just cut out the part when Maverick went to church.

9. Ra's Al Ghul

Ra's Al Ghul Fapstronaut

Cue the homoerotic volleyball scene

10. When it comes to jobs that involve killing people, as a Christian I would stay away from that. Sometimes I have some thought of becoming an elite soldier, it would definitely make me tough, but I probably wouldn't be able to sleep at night knowing that I've killed people, that scenes would never exit my head. What do you think about becoming commercial pilot, not the military one? You would still have privilege of flying and being free in the sky, but without killing other people.

And I'm sorry for you mother and your family, but you seem like you're brave and good at handling this situation. :(
    Honestly I'm scared of even thinking of being in situation similar to yours. If you ever feel the need to talk with someone about it, feel free to message me. I hope I can help in some way...

I wish you luck in your future bro, I'll be praying for you and your family. ;)

11. brilliantidiot

I thought about being a commercial pilot, but unless you have been a pilot in the military, I've heard its really difficult to get a good job and that it takes years to become a good pilot, there is a lot of debt at first as you have to pay for everything. The best way to go is fly in the military and then switch to commercial.

Thanks man.

Future role model likes this.
  12. brilliantidiot

Solid good advice.

Yeah, I wish that God would just give me a clear yes or no. I am totally indecided right now. I want to do whatever pleases Him, but how do i know if He doesn't tell me?

13. IGY

IGY Fapstronaut
    NoFap Defender

You are never going to get a clear yes from God about a job where you kill people.

It is a no brainer. Did any Christians in the bible kill people? What did Jesus say to St. Peter when he used a sword in the garden of Gethsemane? What did Jesus mean when he said love your enemies. Peace is part of the fruitage of Holy Spirit.

14. brilliantidiot

maybe I should fly re-fuelers and transport instead, so I wouldn't kill

15. EXPONENTIALLY

EXPONENTIALLY Fapstronaut

Self-defense is not murder because you have the right to protect your goods and territory and in a way you're imitating God when he chased Adam out of eden with a flaming sword (a fire arm), and Jesus said the GATES of Hell won't prevail against the Church so in a way it's OK to be offensive when evil really calls for that option. Jesus even armed his disciples with swords during his earthly ministry.
    Rebuke, reprove and exhort. But if you're truly defending your country or whatnot from evil people, then it's OK to protect and be overseers upon the flock as He told us.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2019
  16. EXPONENTIALLY

EXPONENTIALLY Fapstronaut

What about Revelation ? Jesus will KILL the Antichrist and all its followers ! He is still righteous, He will kill them also by love for us to protect as our Shepherd. And thus with Him we will fight and kill the wicked during Armageddon.

17. None. In my opinion, YHWH יהוה‬ isn't some angry child who sends people to hell because they haven't said some prayer that was made up by some evangelical. The sinner's prayer isn't even in scripture and doesn't need to be said by anyone. Scripture says we need to work out our salvation not say some prayer. God is love, not a petty dictator with no self-control. The issue isn't that of hell but of life in the here and now. I think as Christians we should be protectors of life, not takers but things can get complicated here on earth. If no one killed Nazi's we wouldn't have the freedom we do today. Jews would probably be wiped out. If possible both sides of a conflict could sit down and find a diplomatic solution to their differences but sometimes that can't happen.

But it's not easy nowadays. I know many in the military don't fight for a cause but for each other. Many seem to not know or care why they're fighting so their reason for being there is so they can protect their fellow servicemen and women.

Yes, it is possible. My brother-in-law is a Christian and has served in Afganistan in the British Army. He's still in the army and has moved onto other areas. I know a number of Christians who have served have kept their faith. I would think being in the military will cause you to grow and to be stretched emotionally and spiritually but I'd encourage you to not be afraid. If you think the military is right for you go for it.

Our faith isn't meant to stay the same but to grow. How I thought in my teens and 20's isn't how I think today. My faith has evolved. One thing I realised is people who aren't Christians aren't as bad as I thought they are. It isn't about whether they're non-Christian or Christian but whether they have good or bad character is. Scriptures says bad company corrupts good character, not non-Christians corrupt Christians. There are non-Christians with good character and some with bad character, just like there are some Christians good character and some with bad.

18. The Wrestler

The Wrestler Fapstronaut

I have a Christian friend who's a fighter pilot for the Canadian Forces. Yes the lifestyle is pretty bro-tastic, and there are ways to mitigate that, and even ways to shine a light for others, in that situation.

I think you've pinned the crux of it, would you be ok with killing? Some decide yes, and some decide no. That does not have to be the end of flying, though. You could fly transport (the C-5 guys have a real swagger) or helos, particularly SAR or medivac. Where is God calling you to be?

And, so you know, a closed door is as much direction from God as a signpost pointing the way. :)

19. brilliantidiot

This is kind of along the lines I'm thinking, great advice and a good reminder about the closed door. I'm worried instead of lighting the darkness the darkness will snuff me out. Idk but medivac sounds exiting.