1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Buddhism

A group for members of all religions, or no religion at all, to talk about religion

1. What are your thoughts on Buddhism?

If you are a Buddist why do you chose this religion?

I feel there are certain aspects of it that are good like mindfulness. When I meditate I feel a peace come over me. I think Buddha had some good things to say as well.

But when it comes to the teaching of rebirth I'm not so sure about that.

I've heard some people say Jesus was actually Buddist, I'm not sure about that but there are definitely similarities between the teachings of Jesus and Buddha.

Here are some quotes:

Hatred does not ever cease in this world by hating, but by love; this is an eternal truth. . . . Overcome anger by love, overcome evil by good, overcome the miser by giving, overcome the liar by truth. - Buddha

Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you. - Jesus

If you do not tend to one another then who is there to tend to you? Whoever would tend me, he should tend the sick. - Buddha

Truly I say to you, to the extent that you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to Me. - Jesus

You can see more about their similarities here.

FX-05 likes this.
  2. tweeby

tweeby Banned

How do you meditate? You could be doing it wrong.

3. Yes, dharma is eternal hence the similarities. Meditation as a beginner just start by sitting quietly and receptively listening without judgement. I am a huge fan of meditation tracks with natural sounds like rain or birdsongs.

FX-05 likes this.
  4. Why do you think I'm doing it wrong?