1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Breathing exercise challenge for 21 days

Discussion in 'Events & Challenges' started by The Great Safecracker, Apr 29, 2019.

1. 20/21

Very close to the finish line now. It's been good practice.

2. 21/21

Challenge accomplished. In some form, I will continue, though.

3. I just read an interesting article posted in another thread: https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/...xhalations-are-easy-way-hack-your-vagus-nerve

This article says that if you breathe in during four seconds and out during eight, you can reduce chronic inflammation in your body. That’s indeed very interesting.

I stopped drinking coffee 24 days ago just to reduce chronic inflammation and it worked like a charm: the back pain I’ve had for five years disappeared after three days?! Just by quitting coffee... wtf.

Coffee is closely connected to a higher cortisol level in the body, which increases the fight or flight feeling in your body, which in turn inhibits your body to heal, ergo increasing chronic inflammation.

So apparently with the right breathing technique, I can achieve the same things as I did with quitting coffee. Amazing.

I’m in.

4. The way I did this challenge was basically that one count lasted for two seconds. And I just pulled this exercise out of my head.

I've been continuing doing these exercises in the morning and evening. I changed the routine slightly, as I didn't totally like it. Now I'm doing breath in for eight seconds, holding for four, and breathing out for 10 seconds. These exact numbers are probably irrelevant, but I've heard also before that it's good to exhale for a bit longer than inhale. I find it not that natural for me. It's so easy to just take deep long breaths in. But hey, that's why this is exercising.

I didn't read the article yet. Let's see if I change the challenge description, as I have adapted it myself already. And of course everyone can take their own routines as they wish.

Nice to have a new force in this challenge @Force Majeure!
    Good job @Spartan Warrior!

Last edited: May 26, 2019
  5. Yeah I am probably going to change the rules a bit but one thing is for sure: I am going to experiment with breathing for 21 or 30 days.

Deleted Account likes this.
  6. Speaking about the article, it remained a bit unclear for me how crucial it is that the exhale is longer than inhale. That was emphasized a lot but it wasn't made clear why that would be the case, and how it relates to some other systems. And there was a mention about a study finding that the "symmetric" patterns were equally beneficial in improving HRV (heart rate variability, whatever it means exactly).

7. I'm doing the exercise proposed in the article in the evenings, just before going to bed. In the mornings, then, I'm doing the exercise I used to do before.

I've been doing these breathing exercises almost for a month now. Somehow I think these might turn out being one of the best habits I've set up in a long time. Still some more mindfulness exercises, and voila!