1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Breaking the Silence

Discussion in 'Loneliness' started by distant_call, Aug 2, 2019.

1. distant_call

distant_call Fapstronaut

Hello, friends,

To be lonely is tearing me up from the inside. It is a slow killer. Now a days, every opportunity I get to be social, I am. Before I moved away from my home town, I used to neglect my relationships. But as they say it is really true that you don't know what you got until you looses it.

Lately I have been contemplating a lot about my ambitious nature. It has made me more harm than good, and it might be the root cause of loosing my friends. Ambitious people always want things to be better. That is a factor that pushes people away. I am not able to climb to the top of Mount Ambitions anyways, and all this climbing for all these have made more harm than good. Now I am just paralyzed and not able to move in any direction.

So from now on I will focus on having friends and health. And focus on relationships that matters.

Just some thoughts from a person that has spent his whole life in his own thoughts.

Cheers

rafael33 and Unexist like this.
  2. amaranth

amaranth Fapstronaut

Most people, if not all, spend their life in their thoughts; making plans, having regrets, judgments, grudges, assumptions about others/ whatever, unshakable beliefs, etc. Wandering around ceaselessly is what the mind does, after all. The question is, do we care how we relate to it? I believe this relating is malleable towards the better.

Where do/did you get that information and what's the accuracy rate? No need to answer ofc, just pointing out that it may seem this way to you depending on what state you're in, only temporarily.

I would add "better... for them".
    Having a want to be an accomplished person in life and making plans to contribute to other's lives in some way through one's profession, a career; one could say it's ambitious, but it's the good kind of ambitious, no?

I share in this behavior, and certainly hope it has no repercussions further down the line. For some reason, most relationships so far tend(/ed) to be shallow and many many times I can perceive that it's not possible to be with some ppl for longer than I have to. At some point, our paths will diverge for sure. If knowing them can't offer something of lasting value for both of us, it's fun to just hang around, but it seems pointless and rather awkward to me... From a certain age onward, ppl tend to get hit in the face by the "collective reality" of duties and "actual life" and that's when they get more serious...maybe at that point they'll be more willing to connect on a deeper level with others. Not that society as a whole (being as it is) promotes this, but still...

Choosing one's relationships is a good sign of care for oneself. Connection with others is definitely important, and this comes from someone who roams more , if not entirely, about the introverted side of personality. What's more, relationships provide support and can fuel success.

Being in a grand crossroad of life, I can understand the feeling. It sounds like you've already taken a path which you would like to change. Personally, I'm still in the threshold of choices, and for the time being am slowly (maybe a bit slower than appropriate, but that could just be me...) considering the options that I have, while trying to take care of myself in the best way possible (even if that doesn't always work out...). So, taking care of yourself might be the best priority for the time being, especially since you realize how health is significant in your life as well.

Loneliness is a state that we enter when we think things that make us feel really bad, like how others are enjoying life in nonchalance and joy (even if it might not be true joy, whatever that means), while we're stuck striving for things prolly no one cares about etc etc etc....
    No, just exit these useless thinking patterns and just note them for what they might be worth. It's good to notice areas of improvement!
    Emotions happen and they may send us to a bad place mentally... the question is: what are they telling us, do we want them, and for how long, for what purpose? (ok, those were multiple questions but that's not the point :p)
    Among other things, there's a large test of will at play.

Pardon the long reply. Hope there's some helpful stuff inside it!^^

Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
    rafael33 likes this.
  3. rafael33

rafael33 Fapstronaut

First make yourself your best friend. Then everything else will fall into place.

Like Sokrates said: Know thyself!

When I find my true self, the beauty inside of me, I will see the beauty in other people. Then hearts will touch and I will know, that I am not alone and never was.

distant_call and amaranth like this.
  4. distant_call

distant_call Fapstronaut

I didn’t know most people do that. To make plans and don’t act on the plans is an issue. What is the point thinking about the goals, but doing little to accomplish them... Then it’s better to lower the ambitions.

Maybe my drive will get turned on again down the line.

Until this point ambitions for me have been focusing on the career. Starting to question that believe, and seeking lasting relationships with friends, family, colleagues, peers is something worth chasing.

I used to think about friendships of the past in the same way. I viewed my relationships as shallow. ... Maybe it is the introverted personality that are not able to express thoughts and ideas to the world around us. Introverts are good people, and sometimes not able to tell that.

That is inspirational. I hope to leave thos patterns in the very near future. That is a reason why I wrote this post. Searching for answers.

amaranth likes this.