1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Books worth reading and why...

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Semaphore, Dec 30, 2017.

1. After watching a review of The Fault In Our Stars movie I was under the impression that his market was teenage girls, and therefore was put off reading any of his work. But Maybe the review misrepresented him.

2. I honestly have no idea. His other books might be more targeted toward teen girls, I wouldnt know. But I would recommend Paper Towns to anyone :)

3. Semaphore

Semaphore Fapstronaut

Has anyone read The Road Less Travelled by M. Scott Peck?
    Its a must read for Fapstronauts.
    “Until you value yourself, you won't value your time. Until you value your time, you will not do anything with it.”

Charles9238 and FormerFapaholic like this.
  4. 2TonTony

2TonTony Fapstronaut

Awaken The Gaint within by Tony Robbins. Its a Phenomenal book in figuring out what makes you tick how to become happy and achieve your goals while looking at the real needs that drive us all.

FormerFapaholic likes this.
  5. Semaphore

Semaphore Fapstronaut

"...I would highly recommend Stephen Pressfield's "The War of Art." It talks about how disorders come from not doing the thing we need to do/create and how to identify and conquer what he calls "resistance." "

6. FormerFapaholic

FormerFapaholic Fapstronaut

Semaphore likes this.
  7. MrVaultboy

MrVaultboy Fapstronaut

'Way of superior man'. I heared this book is amazing, talking about masculine way of thinking, relationships with girls, etc. Anyone has read it?

HMHU likes this.
  8. So glad I found this here! Road Less Traveled was a sledgehammer to my head when i read it about 20 years ago - i remember it being a literally painful and difficult read. Cheaper than therapy, too! :)

My top most influential books in no particular order:
    • The Road Less Traveled: quintessential self-help, introspection guidance book. Psychoanalysis on paper.
    • Siddartha: beautiful, simple story of spiritual self-realization. It taught me that spirituality is something that must be sought after; it's not granted, inherited, or delivered. It's developed.
    • Celestine Prophesy: In and of itself it's not a super-fantastic read, but the pseudo-scientific concepts blended with spiritual and interpersonal applications provide a nifty and helpful framework through which to navigate the world.
    • Conversations With God (1, 2, and 3): Probably my most influential set of books on account of the concepts explored uprooting basically every assumption ever made. Whether you agree or not with the revolutionary concepts there, they are presented accessibly and at least get the questioning going. I like also how they're structured: Book 1: personal, Book 2: social, Book 3: global/universal, and each builds on the concepts of the previous one, scaling out.

HMHU and Semaphore like this.
  9. Poor Yorick

Poor Yorick Fapstronaut

The book I would recommend most anyone for self improvement would be: "The War of Art" by Stephen Pressfield. The book deals with "resistance" (procrastination, but also why we don't do the things most important to us) and how to deal with it. Great, great insight.

W/R/T fiction, one of my go-to's is always "Let the Great World Spin" by Colum McCann. The thing won the national book award (in 06, I believe), but that's not the reason I would recommend it; it's a dazzling, staggering look into 8 or 9 people's lives in a pre-9/11 NYC. Really one of those "damn I'm alive books" that makes you think about other people's lives in a way that has as much depth as your own.

Semaphore likes this.
  10. HMHU

HMHU Fapstronaut

Autobiography of a Yogi - Paramhansa Yogananda

One of those rare books written by an enlightened Master.

Semaphore likes this.
  11. Semaphore

Semaphore Fapstronaut

Patrick Carnes book, 'out of the shadows'
    ...Revised and updated to include the latest research-and to address the exploding phenomenon of cybersex addiction-this third edition identifies the danger signs, explains the dynamics, and describes the consequences of sexual addiction and dependency. With practical wisdom and spiritual clarity, it points the way out of the shadows of sexual compulsion and back into the light and fullness of life...

12. Semaphore

Semaphore Fapstronaut

Intimacy and Desire by David Schnarch.
    It deals with sexual relations in a marriage and how our own identities get in the way of personal growth
    Thanks to @Handzfree

13. Pinetree

Pinetree Fapstronaut

Semaphore likes this.