1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Bodybuilding for beginners!!

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by MrSuccess17, Mar 16, 2017.

1. Anyone got good advice on beginning bodybuilding?
    Like what sets, reps and so on should you begin with?
    And what supplements, if any, should you take?

Noelle likes this.
  2. PostiveChange1974

PostiveChange1974 Fapstronaut

I'm not a trainer, so I can't give you the best answer. I however have been training for the last 2 years.

First, you need to identify what kind of bodybuidling you want. The term is a little generic. In the community it means something particular, but you need to figure out what your goal is.

If you had to answer, what is the highest priority you would have in training?
    - Endurance?
    - Power?
    - Aesthetics (and if so, do you want to be 'big', or 'toned')?
    - Balance of all these?

(What is your goal? What do you want to be or be able to do?)

(If you don't know, there are a lot of differences here. If you look at a swimmers body, or a rock climbers body, or a model, or a actual competition bodybuilder, or a power lifter....they all have very different focus and different body looks. )

Next, a trainer would need to know where you stand now. Weight, Height, Age, and what your current experience in fitness is. A trainer would tailor the plan to what your goal is and who you are right now. Most good trainers actually hold you back when you start, to give you time to adjust and to ensure that you learn proper form first.

The type of plan they come up with will depend on your goal, and here are some hints of what you might find.
    (Just so you know, 'muscle tone' is the presence of muscle, and the absence of fat) If you are going for looks of lean. Then you will need a combination of diet, resistance training, and cardio.

Power lifters don't do much cardio, they are working to build huge muscles, and they aren't worried about fat. In this, they may look pudgy, but can push massive limits (once or twice).

I train for endurance and agility. I want to be a grandpa that can out run his kids, and still lift respectable weights without actually raising any eyebrows by the bro's at the gym. (At current, I'm only dead lifting 405 (but I can do it 3 reps).

Something to keep in mind, what are you prepared to commit to work wise? Body building takes serious time daily, and weekly. You can slim down a little by going once or twice to the gym. But actual building takes multiple days. I go 6 days a week (when I'm being disciplined), and 4 or 5 when I'm being a lazy person. Your plan will need to be tweaked to what time you will have available, and how many days you can work at it. I go for 2 hours. But there are ways to break that down where you can do 15 minutes at one point in the day, 30 in another, and 15 in another. Again, what are you able and prepared to do?

Next, supplements......

1. If at all possible, don't do it. Suppliments are expensive and not as effective as eating natural sources. Most are highly ineffective for the person starting out, and many that are serious in the long term ween themselves off of supplements. (That being said, at current I use protein powers, and pre-workout). But I could get better results if I learned to cook myself chicken breasts more often, or ate Greek yogurt every morning).

2. Whatever your goal is will determine what dietary requirements you need. It also depends on who you are right now. Most often building muscle is accompanied by increasing lean sources of protein. But you still need a small amount of fat, and a decent amount of carbs. All of this has to be balanced in a calorie restriction. You don't want to start over eating, and not seeing your gains because of this. I have a fitbit for tracking my calorie burn, and I have to calorie count, while keeping an eye on my macro nutrient balance. (In my diet, It's harder for me to get more protien, and very hard to keep the carbs down)

3. Avoid the following as they are complete crap. Any and all testosterone boosters are just complete fiction. They don't do anything. If they did, it would be so slight. It's a waste of money. So are fat burners. In fact most supplements are just fiction. Stick with the basics. Vitamins and Minerals. (And protein).

4. Don't look for a medical shortcut. Some people do use steroids and testosterone supplements to take short cuts. However, those people have a history of fitness and know their limits. They also if they do it right should be under the supervision of a health clinic while they do supplement. However, you will get more results and better changes long term if you just find a plan and commit to it, rather than looking for something to do the work for you like a supplement. There are always risks associated with taking those short cuts, and they are expensive as well. Amateurs should not jack around with it, and never without docs looking over their shoulders. (I don't take any steroids. I had to take a cortizone treatment for a pinched nerve, and I felt like my mind was coming undone. I don't know any clinics here that allow it in the US, but I've heard in other places they do.) I do have to take testosterone supplement, but not because of my workouts. I had plenty of muscle growth, and gains without the test, and even with it, I can't say it accelerated or changed anything. It was a energy and mood issue for me, as I was low-T (now I'm just back to a normal place). Even so, I pay 70 dollars a week to a clinic for the treatments, and get my blood drawn and analyzed ever 6 weeks. I have to weekly answer questions about my mood, and they watch my weight, blood pressure, and other vitals.)

Saif, Capt., Bryaan and 4 others like this.
  3. For power and aesthetics, whats the best way to approach it? Big weights low reps or low weight high reps???

Bryaan likes this.
  4. PostiveChange1974

When you start, lower weights at higher repetitions are better until you get your form down.

My trainer has me on a 9 week plan. It goes in phases of 3. First week is power, the second week is decreasing volume, and the third week is steady volume. I have a deadlift day, bench press day, squat day, overhead day, and a steady state cardio day. In between, my trainer runs me through an functional/agility drills.

MrSuccess17 likes this.
  5. finding_zen

finding_zen Fapstronaut

@MrSuccess17

I got you man. As a beginning bodybuilder, you will need a few types of different workouts:

1. Strength building. Low reps (3-5) high sets (5+). Pick 3-4 compound movements per muscle group. This scheme will help build strength, which you need for bodybuilding day. The weights you use should be relatively high.
    2. bodybuilding day. Moderate reps (8-15) moderate sets (3 or 4). Pick a blend of 4-5 compound and isolation movements. This scheme will help build muscle seperation and size.
    3. high volume day. High reps (12-20) moderate sets (3 or 4), similar to bodybuilding day but add in drop sets/super sets. This scheme will help build your nervous system, aka 'mind muscle connection'. The weights you use should be relatively low.

Starting out I would recommend lifting 4-5 days a week, hitting all muscle groups at least once a week. If you lift multiple muscle groups a day then lower the total volume for each.

For each rep: Control is key. Remember to lift the muscle and not the weight. Often times this means lowering the weight (check your ego at the door). Use full range of motion, full contraction during concentric motion, full stretch on eccentric motion. Powerful + controlled concentric motion, slooowwww + controlled eccentric motion.

Your beginning strategy should be to build a foundation of solid form, strength, and solid mind-muscle connection (your nervous system).

Re Supplements, 3 are key in my book:

1. Protein powder (google macros and daily caloric requirements. hit 1 - 1.5 times your bodyweight in grams of protein per day)
    2. BCAAs, higher leucine ratio the better
    3. Creatine, kre-alkaline is the best

optional supplements:
    - digestive enzymes, very helpful when eating a lot of food
    - preworkout powder
    - l-glutamine post workout

Feel free to hit me up if you have any other questions!

MrSuccess17 and Illusive Man like this.
  6. Illusive Man

Illusive Man Fapstronaut

I'm curious, and you certainly don't have to answer, do you find any zen through weightlifting? Or how could you relate your username to your workouts? Sorry if that's too personal usernames can be personal sometimes.

finding_zen likes this.
  7. Appreciate it buddy, thanks!

finding_zen likes this.
  8. If I start we'll say on a monday with strength training, how many sets would be too little and how many too much?
    Whats compound and isolation movements? And whats eccentric and concentric?
    I appreciate all this buddy!

finding_zen likes this.
  9. 1. Vocal trance
    2. Taking a multi
    3. Tan
    4. Whitening teeth
    5. Rave parties
    6. Tattoo's
    etc etc.

:)

I would be too deadly if I did that. I rather stay 'regular' don't want them girls to jizz their pants.

10. finding_zen

finding_zen Fapstronaut

No worries! I don't mind talking about it at all. Personally I do find some zen through weightlifting when I'm working out with my headphones on, focusing on my breathing and ignoring the rest of the world. I become 100% focused on the exercise. It's not a replacement for meditation though.

For me my username finding_zen is a reminder to myself that I am still seeking and have not yet found or become 'zen' yet.

11. finding_zen

finding_zen Fapstronaut

All good questions!

"how many sets would be too little and how many too much"
    - 3 would be too little since naturally you are doing less reps per set
    - how many is too much is harder to answer since it depends on the person. as long as you are not over-training (ie pushing your body past its recovery ability) and you are able to get through the rest of your workout (you have enough in the tank to do the other movements), in theory you can perform as many sets as you'd like. Though anything over 8 would be a lot in my opinion.

"Whats compound and isolation movements?"
    - compound movements: recruits multiple muscle groups. for example bench press is a compound movement involving your pecs (chest), front delts (shoulders), and triceps.
    - isolation movements: recruits almost exclusively the target muscle group. for example flat bench dumbbell fly is an isolation movement that almost 100% targets pecs.
    - since you can lift more weight, compound movements are better suited for building strength and overall mass. isolation movements are better and developing the aesthetics of a particular muscle group (shape and separation) because you can single out and target a muscle group in a particular way.

"whats eccentric and concentric?"
    - two types of muscle contractions. or when you are describing a movement there is the concentric phase and the eccentric phase.
    - concentric: the muscle contraction "on the way up". for example if you are doing standing dumbbell curls, the concentric contraction is when you are lifting the dumbbells up.
    - eccentric: the muscle contraction "on the way down". for example dumbbell curls again, the eccentric muscle contraction is when you control the weights as you are letting the dumbells down. this is also known as the "negative", and is highly underrated in bodybuilding because most people only want to throw weights around and lift the most weight possible. if you have the mentality of working the muscle as much as possible, you want a slow and controlled eccentric movement
    - another example, bench press: you start with the eccentric phase of lowering the weight to your chest. the concentric phase is pushing the weight back up. when people bounce the barbell off their chest during bench press they are taking away the benefits of the eccentric phase.

12. PostiveChange1974

Ok... so to give you and idea for a work out.....

I started with seeing a trainer twice a week. In between, I did the following light weight general workout, just to get used to the workouts. (This isn't a builder's routine, but got me going)

(All exercises done with 3 sets of 10 reps)
    (Always start with dynamic stretching)
    (Always end with static stretching)
    Day 1
    Chest Press
    Leg Press
    Shoulder Press
    Lateral Raise
    Leg Extension

Day 2
    Seated Row
    Pull Down
    Lower Back (sit up straight)
    Rear Delta (set grips 90 in)
    Prone Leg Curl

Day 3 Cardio (Walking 90 minutes at target hart rate of 120+)

Day 4 Trainer

Day 5 Trainer

I did this for 6 months while getting in good enough shape to proceed.

Now I'm attaching my current workout set. It's a pdf so hopefully you can read it. Again, I'm not a builder per say, but I have been training for 2 years to get to ever better shape. I prioritize Endurance, Agiltity, and then power/aesthetics. So my trainer switches the program up a bit every 9 weeks to tweak whatever needs work. Please don't jump in and use my routine without some kind of background experience in fitness and lifting. It took my a full year even with constant trainer looking over my form to get to this point.

Attached Files:

13. Thanks for all of that man, it's a big help. Would you recommend hiring a trainer?

14. SavageDeathclaw

SavageDeathclaw Fapstronaut

I reccomend icf 5x5. I personally try to get my protein from food but if you can't a good whey protein like Muscletech is great. I advise against pre workout supplements since it is easy to become dependent on them. Some good high protein foods are; eggs, tuna, lentils, chicken breast, mini wheats cereal and milk, cheese, brown rice, kidney beans. There are of course many more but the aformentioned are cheap and easy to prepare.

MrSuccess17 likes this.
  15. PostiveChange1974

For me, hiring a trainer changed my life. I had no idea what form to do with any of the exercises, or what to do when. In short, I was doing more harm to myself trying to go to the gym without a trainer. (I also found one that was awesome and very cheap to the point where I could see him twice a week). He keeps me motivated when I get off track, and need my butt kicked.

That being said, you don't necessarily hire a trainer. If you have some prior training in school, or watch web videos, you can achieve some of the same results. There are also group classes where you get the benefit of a trainer without having to pay price of a solo session. You can also just get a partner that has some experience so you can watch each other. In short, there is no 'right' way. So if you don't have the money, you don't have to do a trainer.

MrSuccess17 likes this.
  16. WillPower84

WillPower84 Fapstronaut

Id say stick with starting str or 5x5, at least at first. It helps u learn the lifts without the extra fluff. U can easily do either 1 for 8 months to a year and still see gains!

Pick up the starting strength book and watch videos. A good trainer would be amazing! Unfortunately they are hard to find.

Are you looking to get bigger or smaller? That is how u know what your diet should be. Regardless your lifting should be heavy compound lifts three days a week. (at first). Increasing the weight each workout is key!

Let me know what other questions u have and I can help out some more.

Not a trainer but have been lifting for years and have done a ton of research myself.

MrSuccess17 likes this.
  17. RedManGreen

RedManGreen New Fapstronaut

I've been lifting for 4 years now. I focus more on physique then outright strength. I 111111010000% recommend you buy Arnold Schwarzenegger's - The Encyclopedia of Modern bodybuilding. He goes over both the basics and advanced exercises.

Most people start out doing a push/pull/leg routine OR a beginner strength program (starting strength is popular). The encyclopedia has beginner routines that you can try out. Reps and sets will depend on your goals. Heavier weights, lower reps are used more in compound movements and will make you stronger while giving you a good "base" physique. Bench press, overhead press, squat and deadlift are all compound movements. As you progress you will notice some muscles or muscle groups lagging. This is where isolation exercises and a higher rep range will benefit more. Isolation movements help you focus on a single muscle (biceps, triceps, deltoids, calves are very popular) with a lighter weight + more volume to help it grow.

Supplement companies make millions if not billions of dollars on gullible consumers. Almost 99% of it is a total waste of money. Protein powders aren't necessary for muscle growth, they are just convenient. The only supplement that has been studied enough and has shown to help just a little bit is creatine. A few grams a day can give you a "fuller" look and help with strength goals. Your daily diet will either make or break whatever physique or strength goals you have.

finding_zen and MrSuccess17 like this.