1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Bioenergetics

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by OnceAfraidToMerge, Jul 15, 2018.

1. Since this particular forum is home to a lot of people struggling with lack-of-confidence and bottling up a lot of negative emotion, I wanted to show this to you guys since I've had a positive experience discovering and experimenting with this over the last week or so.

The basic premise is that humans have a lot of emotions and feelings, the purpose of which is to promote primal behaviours. In a civilised society a lot of these behaviours are no longer permitted and so these emotions and feelings build up with no release besides self-destructive behaviours.

Enter Alexander Lowen, who pioneered a psychotherapy and physical therapy that he called Bioenergetics. You put yourself into various stress positions, move erratically, and either scream or speak-in-tongues; the ultimate goal being that you charge your body with oxygen, relax the muscles, and potentially let out any trapped emotion through sobbing (which you can see in the video below).

An advocate of this process is a YouTuber called Elliott Hulse, who gave a talk on Bioenergetics which is extremely entertaining. I've linked that below, and although I would recommend watching the whole thing, I've specifically linked from about 23:38 when he's running an exercise with a volunteer and eventually the whole crowd joins in, screaming and beating their chests in unison. It's pretty visceral and cathartic to watch (and join in with for that matter).

Last edited: Jul 15, 2018
    salvacion_a_888 likes this.
  2. davem7

davem7 Fapstronaut

looks interesting

3. OnceAfraidToMerge likes this.
  4. I know there are usually a couple of groups that do this in every city. I was looking out for a bioenergetics group to see if that was a thing, but this seems to fit the bill.

Although I'm not sure what their stance on the screaming aspect of the bioenergetics would be...

5. Ha ha ha, I don't know, man. T'ai chi's down with screaming though. When I was taught it in China they told me go ahead and scream and yell or bark like a dog or whatever. They said when the chi's being released it can open up through unconventional outlets. Given, I wasn't brave enough to actually go through with it, but they said it was cool.

OnceAfraidToMerge likes this.
  6. Yeah, I wanna get into ecstatic dance. It looks really cool. I'm in Southern California, and they've got a group up in LA.

7. Let me know if you attend anything! I'd love to hear a first-hand account.

8. Most definitely.

9. MY FAVORITE VIDEO (got me to day 58 of nofap)