1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Being honest is a problem?

Discussion in 'Loneliness' started by Deleted Account, Feb 26, 2019.

1. Yeah. I often notice that just by being honest, I get into trouble. Or get rejected. Or treated badly.

I don't mean being tactless. I've got manners.

It seems like everyone assumes a certain level of lying and dishonesty to be normal. Maybe it's all the advertising and general excessive competition out there.

Oh well. To alienation.

2. Jackb97

Jackb97 Fapstronaut

People want you to bullshit them.

Deleted Account likes this.
  3. Curious, but could you supply an example?

Deleted Account and MonkeyDo like this.
  4. Nubile

Nubile New Fapstronaut

Yeah a certain level of hypocrisy is always needed. That's it^^

But good thing is: not with everybody, close friends, gf or bf, family, these ones want your sincerity. Well i know sometimes it's not the case with the family and you're still "forced" to lie but..

It's part of the rules that everyone follows but no one has taught us. It's not necessary sad :p

5. A lot of honesty is effrontery. You dont need to lie, but you dont have to say every single thing u feel. This will harm u later.

6. MonkeyDo

MonkeyDo Fapstronaut

I'm not sure I understand what the problem is that you're describing. Could you give an example?

I tend to be honest with people and, while not everyone always likes to hear everything I say (duh), it generally goes over pretty well and I tend to have good friendly conversations. With that said, I don't always say things just because they're true. If I know something is going to hurt someone or be useless to the conversation, I won't say that thing.

Maybe when you're being honest you're also being mean? And while the honesty may be true, the emotional message is that you don't like the person? I'm just guessing here.

7. First of all, I want to say that my original post was just blowing off steam after something minor yesterday. Perhaps there should be an "Incoherent Rants" section of the forum.

I'm pretty sure that's not my problem. Some people have that problem alright. Like I said, I'm not tactless.

My problem might be occasional "oversharing", about myself. Sometimes other people start oversharing, and they may even ask me questions that appear to encourage me to overshare, but then when I do overshare it goes down badly lol.

I think capitalism might be to blame for some of the excessive bullshitting that goes on, generally. It's one thing if a salesman bullshits you while selling you something cheap, and another thing if a doctor bullshits you about something serious, rather than saying, "I don't know." or "I'll have to get back to you on that." I know one doctor who should probably be thrown in prison for a good stretch. But (in an attempt) to be clear, I don't have any personal issues with doctors, that's just stories I've heard from other people.

jhow47 likes this.
  8. LOL. That's an interesting perspective.

9. By being dishonest your trying to control people, being honest isn't about NOT getting into trouble or avoiding rejection and as far as people treating you badly HOW? if you were honest you would ask yourself "why am I around people who treat my bad" or "don't I deserve better" being honest is about being honest with yourself and others . Trying to make things smooth and problem free is why most people lie there ass off in the first place, and are the same ones that do that never can find someone who likes them just as they are because there so caught up in lying and holding back people never get to see the real them or beleve that people can like them JUST AS THEY ARE .
    Think about that

10. Warning - there may be excessive honesty ahead.

I'm not dishonest though.

Shortly after writing that first post, I thought, actually it's better to be perhaps overly honest about yourself and get rejected then and there, rather than not being honest enough and being accepted only to be rejected at a later stage when people find out the real truth (hope that makes sense). You'd probably agree with that.

The whole subject is very complicated and involves many different things which perhaps aren't obviously related.

Maybe I'd be more "into" this conversation but for the fact that I'm using another website as my main go-to for PMO addiction etc. I just hang around here out of habit maybe lol. Am I being too honest?

I'm in a better mood today anyway. Like I kind of mentioned earlier, the original post was a bit of a reaction to something that happened to me yesterday.

Perhaps it's not an appropriate time to mention it, but in the spirit of honesty, I'm happy to be on Day 86!

11. I agree, you need to be honest being upfront early so you can move on from people who are not the right fit sounds good so far
    Its good that your being honest , THERES NO SHAME IN BEING HONEST
    So what if you were in a bad mood yesterday YOUR HUMAN AND YOU WERE HONESTLY STATING WHAT YOU FELT there is NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT. Its actually healthy to be upfront and honest even when we have days that well we wished would have been better. Whats wrong with being happy to be on day 86 ?I know from experience that's not something that's easy. You have a right to be proud of it, and its not inappropriate its just being honest to state that . It sounds like your on the right path to honesty

12. Toomuchh

Toomuchh Fapstronaut

Sounds like a situation where it's not honesty that is burning the op but oversharing too quickly. If I was to meet a random stranger and they would unload all their problems onto me I would be like wtf, this guy is crazy. Or OP's problem could be something completely irrelevant to honesty and he just can't see what the real problem is. It's hard to say cause he won't give us any examples, just vague situations with no specifics, just his thoughts and feelings.