1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Atheists, God and the afterlife.

A group for members of all religions, or no religion at all, to talk about religion

1. Interesting sentence.
    Cause God, life and death has everything to do with each other.

If death shouldn't exist, nobody should search for God (or "a higher being").

2. If God was real and heaven and hell Id be dissapointed. It would mean that existence is a mere state of which one's purpose to be born comes with the pre-requisite to worship and love a being whom you cannot see, hear or touch, by faith, and if you do not fullfill that purpose, anything you ever do in life becomes meaningless because you will end up burning in a lake of fire for all eternity. We wouldn't be free, we'd be slaves to a celestial tyrant that excecutes you if you don't worship him, and to me that's just sad.

3. Buzz Lightyear

Buzz Lightyear Fapstronaut

There seems to be two things going on here. First, there is the ego/ cogito/ self-contained rational self [itself perhaps a product of history], and then there is this almost caricatured idea of Christianity which seems to be a mix of some concoction of Calvinism and whatever else that it has been dragged through down to the present time. In short, it is an ideologically informed anachronism that is either unable or unwilling to imaginatively engage with the substance of the past. It's actually a very impoverished and diminutive view of the world that can not get beyond the preconceptions and fashions of the present day. It's like a person thinking themselves locked within a dungeon, with their own little squalid candle as their only source for light, when all they need to do is take a walk outside to see the glory of God's green earth in the light of day.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2017
    nicetrybrain and SolitaryScribe like this.
  4. Mother Theresa was pretty dodgy herself, from what I can tell. Not Hitler dodgy, obviously.

5. Because justice is good, and God is just. And allowing someone like Hitler to walk away without punishment would not be just.

I think you're forgetting the entire lifetime God allowed Hitler to have and learn what is good and what is bad. Hitler could have had access to a Bible... He could have read God's word. He could have chosen to do good and right, here, on earth. You're acting like Hitler is a child who hit his brother without ever being told that it's not okay to hit, and then he sends him to hell for it. That's not the case at all. Hitler had plenty of time to learn all of those things, and God provided plenty of resources for him to do so, and he still chose to commit horrible acts. He had all of the same resources everyone else had, that God provided, including a conscience and a moral compass that we all have inside of us, and he still chose evil. That deserves to be punished, and anything less would be unjust.

Not to mention the fact that God also sent his son to take on the punishment FOR people like Hitler, and a written recording of that history to pass on through the generations, and all Hitler would have had to do to avoid damnation would be to accept that gift. Sounds to me like God has given him plenty of second chances and opportunities to choose the right path.

6. Yeah, yeah. I knew someone would mention that. It was the only person I could think of off the top of my head who most people view as a saint. The specificity of the person wasn't important to the analogy, it just had a better punch that way.

Also, I have no idea if Mother Teresa is in heaven. I don't know if she had a relationship with Jesus Christ as her Savior or not. It was just an example.

Deleted Account likes this.
  7. Runtilmylegsdropoff

Runtilmylegsdropoff Fapstronaut

I dont have enough faith to be a fat, fedora hat tipping atheist.

8. SolitaryScribe

SolitaryScribe Fapstronaut

It seems to me that a lot of the counter arguments that non Christians use are linked to a faulty knowledge on what Christianity actually teaches. As @Buzz Lightyear mentioned, it's a mix of Calvinism and a mix of a literalistic interpretation of the bible.

The discussion of heaven and hell isn't something that we can simply over simplify and use as an excuse not to believe is something. It's the same as stating that I do not believe in a government because they send people to jail, therefore it isn't just or good. Over simplification can often times lead to many errors and poor judgment.

Now I'm not advocating for everyone to convert.. hell I could care less what you believe in. However if you're going to make an argument against any particular belief, it has to be logical and well researched. Simply judging a religion based on the mere image that is presented by society is simple ignorance.

If you really are genuinely interested in knowing what exactly do Christians believe, than talk to a Christian. Sit down with him/her and have a genuine conversation with them and try to keep an open mind, as well as putting effort into researching on what various church's hold to be true.

The topic of heaven and hell ranges dramatically from Protestantism to Orthodoxy.

I suggest to anyone reading this, to read a book called "Can a loving God be Wrathful". It takes this exact issue and breaks it down in the sense of what we actually believe on hell.

Buzz Lightyear likes this.
  9. truthseeker17

truthseeker17 Fapstronaut

Its sad that we don't understand this.
    We are all slaves to something. It might be your own needs(like PMO), money, family, fame, technology, some people(wife/husband/famous people) .. you name it.

The reality is that men(we) are made like this.

First of all God doesn't need us. There was no one and He was praisworthy. There will be no one and He will be praisworthy.
    He is independent from everthing. If all the beings on earth would disbelieve in Him He would still be praisworthy, The King, The Lord of Majesty and Bounty. His kingdom wouldn't be lessened by it, just like the sahara dessert is not lessend by taking a grain of sand from it.

God created men, and made men like such that men need God.
    Men wants to be free of god and be a slave to everything else how hypocrite is he? Men was granted the biggest gift, freedom. Freedom to choose to believe in Him who created him or deny Him.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2017
    Roady and SolitaryScribe like this.
  10. vxlccm

vxlccm Fapstronaut

My Journal
    There are descriptions in the Bible of orchards. Wouldn't you burn a bad tree in your orchard? Just because a tree is an apple tree doesn't mean you will keep a tree growing that doesn't bear fruit. You will chop it down and burn it. Nothing against the tree. Such it is with the kingdom of heaven. We qualify to occupy space in the mansions above as we have a pure heart and bear good fruit.

11. Dake how dare you don't trust in God but you do Trust in NoFap? Nothing is impossible dude. Get your words back Mecca is here longer thn you on earth that's the Existence of God and our prophets.

12. Physicist

Physicist Fapstronaut

I agree. Although consider that concept of afterlife has existed before formal religion. Death does not have to be related to god.

Buddhism for example has nothing to do with deities yet believe there is life after death as only the "body" dies, not the life within the body. You "died" but you still live on. This concept has been there for some 10k years, way before formal religion.

13. There is no freedom in an ultimatum

14. Imagine a man who gets a woman pregnant, and leaves. The baby is born, grows up without his father, and his mother says it is written, if you do not love and worship your father, you will be locked in a torture chamber.

Love is earned, not demanded and an ultimatum is a demand with no other real options.

Love me or suffer basically

Its barbaric

15. It's exactly the other way around.
    God sais: I love you, no matter how your circumstances are.
    And because of that love, these circumstances will be bearable.

That's Godly

16. truthseeker17

Let me ask you, do you love your parents? Are you obedient to them?

17. truthseeker17

define freedom?!

you are free to do whatever you want right now? you can say what you want, do what you want and even don't do what you don't wanna do...
    How can you still have no freedom ?

The fact that you hold that opinion is the proof of this

18. If a person I do not know "loves" me I am in no obligation to love him back.

Deleted Account likes this.
  19. My parents have always been there for me so yes, I love them and owe them a lot.

truthseeker17 likes this.

20. Freedom is where I choose my own destiny without someone holding a gun over my head, god basically waits for you to die to throw you into a lake of fire and watch you burn for all erernity.

truthseeker17 likes this.