1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Atheists, God and the afterlife.

A group for members of all religions, or no religion at all, to talk about religion

1. You're just that right.
    In real love, there is no single space for obligation. Indeed.

2. Here's Tom with the weather.

RPos likes this.
  3. I'm pretty sure women are kinda put down in the Bible. I'm pretty sure it says in there that a woman's number one job is to serve her husband. Now, I'm a guy, but even that pisses me off haha. If I were a woman, I wouldn't serve any fucking body. Just my opinion.

4. Buzz Lightyear

Buzz Lightyear Fapstronaut

Say this one thousand times and you might believe it... or go insane.:)

vxlccm and RPos like this.
  5. Buzz Lightyear

It depends on your reading of reality. If cosmos emerges hard won from chaos, civilization from barbarism, order from anarchy, you are initiated into a hierarchical understanding of the world.

If however, you think something like 'all are born free but everywhere they are in chains', then under the banner of freedom you will want to tear down all culture and authority. That the first reading may sound nonsensical to the ears of most today only goes to prove we are all ideologues.

6. I get where you're coming from, and I really appreciate that you're not forcing it on me, unlike everyone else that I know, but I still have problems accepting that. I mean, God made the law right? God made everything apparently, including our behaviors. So it seems to me that he made this law, made people, made the behaviors, and then decides well shit, gotta punish em. My hands are tied. I mean, it just doesn't make sense to me. I'm not sure it ever will, but I still respect peoples' religion. Hell, even the whole Satan thing. Oh, Satan is to blame for all evil, yet he's not even considered God's equal. He's supposed to be the chief diety of demons, God's creation. I figure if God were all powerful and could do anything, he'd just snap his metaphorical fingers and destroy the fucker. Christians tell me oh, well I can't explain what god does, and that's true, but it just doesn't sit right or make sense to me. Maybe it's because I'm so used to Christians who are beyond dumb. Heard this one guy spouting off about how "if you take CDs from satanic bands like limp bizkit and metallica, (neither one is satanic,) and throw them into a fire, you will see demons' faces in the smoke. :emoji_expressionless:

7. Buzz Lightyear

The atonement was foreshadowed prophetically in the Jewish Scriptures with the need for sacrifice. That is all we need to know.

Legalistic analogies can be drawn, but they are speculative in the grand scheme of things. It is like holding a lighted match to the blazing sun.

8. RPos

RPos Fapstronaut

Hey, lets not be hasty, lol. I think God makes a GREAT point. The Bible is the word of God, afterall. Can't argue with God.

9. Yeah that's true. We all interpret things differently. I mean, there's not even just Christianity. How many sub divisions are there? Methodist, baptist, presbyterian, Westboro Baptist. That latter group are just a bunch of saints, my heart goes out to their future endeavors. I truly hope they succeed in their goal to convince everyone that indeed, God fucking hates you. (Sarcasm, don't jump down my throat hahaha.) Yeah, we all have our opinions and at the end of the day, nobody is gonna change anyone else's mind. The hard truth is, one day, either we find out everything, or we never do.

10. Hahaha, Jesus Christ, literally.

RPos likes this.
  11. So, we're on a need to know basis? Just follow blindly because God says so? Well shit. That sucks.

RPos likes this.
  12. Buzz Lightyear

Hope or hopelessness. I think reason is like a no-man's land... somewhere between our deep-seated instincts for meaning and a world to which they might correspond.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2017
  13. To infinity, AND BEYOND. Boy I bet Tim Allen wished he could go to infinity and beyond when he got caught with all that coke.

14. Buzz Lightyear

As you no doubt know, and as I have been told, I have the three factory settings of demo, play and Spanish. I only alternate between play and Spanish.... anything beyond the tedium and dreariness of that demonstration mode. No coke required.:rolleyes:

Last edited: Nov 26, 2017
  15. truthseeker17

truthseeker17 Fapstronaut

That's not freedom... that's called injustice, you can't just do whatever you want AND have null responsibility for your deeds.

If you look at this forum, it got rules which you must follow. Whether you like it or now, you follow it. This is almost about everything else. A gym, a school, university, church, police office ... you name it...
    The creater of the worlds Has also rules, which isn't surprising at all since we all have rules for almost every freaking thing. His rules are for us so we can succeed. His way of ruling is most just. He will not compensate a soul except for that which he earned.

Dropping a guy in hell forever seems cruel to us.. but how much knowledge do we have compared to the All knowing, The Most Merciful, The Especially Merciful? God has many names and it ain't cruel or a injust King.

Men is created by God from a sperm ejection. God gave men sight and hearing and all other blessings along. You say your parents took care of you... that might be true. Your parents don't take care of your breathing system nor those other billions complex things finding place inside your body. Thats God, doing all these things for you!
    Yet despite all of these countless blessing and signs men grows up and turn his back. instead of being reflecting, being THANKFUL, BELIEVING and Obeying, he turn his back to not only God but the whole idea. "It was his own strenght which brought him to here" he says.
    This is a merely example of how much injust men is.

16. If you read the bible, please make the picture more complete.
    The woman should serve her husband, that's right, but.... the man has to be told, to be an example in this serving.
    He is serving as first, and his wife is reacting on it.
    Other words: they are serving (helping, encouraging, loving, showing empathy) each other.

Do you have a better idea? If you are not willing to serve others, you will develop some proud and selfishness.

truthseeker17 likes this.
  17. You're misinterpreting that completely. It is how we were made. Women, in general, are good supporters. They're good encouragers. That's not a bad thing or a "put down" at all. I love supporting my husband and doing special things for him, and in turn he provides for me and loves and cherishes me.

Also, some of Jesus' closest confidantes were women. He thought very highly of women. Heck, God trusted a woman with the birth and raising of His son. He could have just sent Jesus down to earth as an adult, or as a baby not born of man, Clark Kent style, if He didn't think women were fit for such a big responsibility. And traditionally female characteristics are highly cherished by God... like gentleness and meekness and humility. I've heard people try to make this argument before, that women aren't valued in Christianity, but it's just simply not true, if you've actually read enough of the Bible and understand it and don't take things out of context.

For example, people LOVE to rip the "wives should submit to their husbands" thing out of context. The first way they do this is by replacing the words "wives and "husbands" with "women" and "men." Ive had idiot guys tell me I'm supposed to submit to them, while mocking my faith, and my response to that is "when did we get married?" "Submitting" to a loving husband is not difficult or shameful or unfair, because he has your best interest in mind, as his wife. My husband would never ask or expect me to "submit to him" in a way that is degrading or that would require me to do something that is against God or against what I believe.

The second way people take this out of context is by, well, taking it out of context. Ripping those 5 words out of the larger text they belong with. Which is a problem, because they are ignoring the part that immediately follows that verse, which is this:

"Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her to make her holy, cleansing her by the washing with water through the word, and to present her to himself as a radiant church, without stain or wrinkle or any other blemish, but holy and blameless. In this same way, husbands ought to love their wives as their own bodies. He who loves his wife loves himself." Ephesians 5:25-28

Sounds like a pretty fair trade to me! If my husband is loving me as he loves his own body, and loving me like Christ loved the church (which was a love so strong that it led to the sacrifice of his life), I dont think God asking me to submit to that kind of a man is an unfair request. I also dont think those verses are demands, but rather suggestions on how to have a happy, successful, fruitful marriage. He's laying out His tips and tricks to a good marriage, and I think one of the reasons divorce rates are so high is because people reject that model as dated and misogynistic.

This is because He has given us free will, which is incredibly important, and it's a gift, not a curse. He made the law, and He has given us a choice in whether or not we want to follow that law. Personally, I wouldn't want it any other way. I think it's beautiful, the way we grow and learn. The way we choose to do something that God says we shouldn't do, only to eventually realize that it was a harmful decision and the reason He told us not to do it was because He was trying to protect us. And then we come back to Him and He forgives us and chooses to forget our wrongdoings. To me that seems beautiful and loving, not cruel.

Well, He will, He just hasn't yet. I can't really say why He hasn't, and I see your point, but that's just one of those things I choose to be okay with not knowing. But I can see why that's tough for some people to get past.

Yeah, all different kinds of people can be dumb. But there are certainly many well-educated, intelligent, logical Christian people out there. If you're interested at all in seeing what they have to say, they're pretty easy to find.

RPos and Roady like this.
  18. Well said @CassTeaElle
    It's difficult to understand without knowing God, but to me, it helps to understand things, when I really realize what that "free will" actually means.
    God, as a loving being, cannot force his creatures to do anything. Love doesn't force. For instead, love is patience and willing.
    Because of that, God choose to fulfill his plan in time, according to his own being. He is really counting with our free wills. Just that is an amazing thing imho.

Deleted Account likes this.
  19. I don't know why people have such a fit over that, you don't even need to be religious to be faithful or serve your husband.

I was always taught growing up to make my own choices and to do what I think is best, and I always thought some of the traditional gender roles were unique and fascinating. Like for me, as a woman, I don't think serving your husband or catering to his needs is sexist whatsoever, and I'm not talking about the beer drinking/make me a sandwich man stereotype either. It's a mutual love and both men/women are different and rely on those different aspects, I cater to my fiancé and his emotional needs while he caters to my physical and obviously there's more to it than that.

I have nothing against freewill but in today's age gender roles are being destroyed, and women are taught to more man than woman. They all want that supposed independence and to be "free" of man and his tight oppressing grip, yet I'm essentially a house wife and I can do whatever I want without being restrained, bothered or "oppressed" like they keep saying.

Maybe I'm just old fashioned but I quite like being home doing things for him and making him happy, and so to me I think gender roles are for a reason to an extent. I get nothing but unconditional love in return, so why do I need to supposedly find something more like so many feminists keep telling me I should?

In short, when I make him happy he makes me happy, and in return I feel like a woman. If any of it makes sense, that's how I feel anyway. lol

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 26, 2017
  20. RPos

RPos Fapstronaut

I believe the lack of distictive gender roles and identities is the main reason people feel unfulfilled in relationships in todays society. To assume gender inequality is to assume women are somehow unequal to men. There is no inequality between the genders, simply different roles nature has bequeathed them. Man as provider, women as supporter and child bearer. This is in no way sexist, simply biology. By men and women both assuming the provider role in a relationship by working 9-5 I believe it blurs the line between gender identity. Lets face it, when a guy and a girl first hook up, without modern day contraception methods, the women will quickly fall pregnant and very quickly each will assume there specific gender roles. Today a couple can be fucking for years before they "decide" to have a child. Whilst both parners similaneously assume a provider role by working 9-5. Having a child was never a decision. If you had sex, that decision was probably already made for you. It hardly comes as a suprise that most relationships today fail.