1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Are you being like a crab in a bucket?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by WalkingForward, May 21, 2017.

1. WalkingForward

WalkingForward Fapstronaut

Recently I've been reading about Elliot Rodger. He was bitter about being a 22-year-old virgin and went on a killing spree in his university area, shooting and hitting people with his car. He killed 6 and injured 14. Elliot Rodger fantasized about creating his version of utopia where women would be kept in concentration camps and be inseminated to bring forth boys that would live in a world that would be "free" of women and sex. His mindset was that if he couldn't have love and affection, neither should anyone else.

Anders Behring Breivik also fantasized about creating utopia. And he was a 32-year-old loser, addicted to WoW and living in his mother's basement. The holocaust happened because the Nazis were jealous of Jews for being successful. The communist states were also based on jealousy of successful people, and look how that worked out.

Jealousy is your body's way of saying that you should improve yourself

But improving yourself is hard work. It takes a lot of time and effort. And there is no guarantee that you will be successful. It is therefore easier to bring others down. It is easier to destroy than to build.

[​IMG]

If we can't lift a barbell, it's not the barbell's fault, it's because we're not strong enough. We could waste our energy on jealous anger at strong people, or we could go pick up some dumbbells and work on strengthening ourselves.

Are you sometimes like a crab in a bucket? Is that a productive mode of being?

2. WalkingForward

Thanks! :)

I have been like a crab in a bucket. I have been lost in jealous thoughts. I have also wasted energy on utopian fantasies, instead of focusing on what I can do, to make myself and the world better. I have been depriving the world of the gifts I could give if I got my act together.

From now on, if I recognize that I'm lost in these kinds of unhelpful thoughts, I will take notice, because maybe they can teach me something valuable about what I need to work on. But then, I will bring my focus back to being productive in the present moment.

slb and Deleted Account like this.
  3. Waldo101

Waldo101 Fapstronaut

I remember Elliot Rodger. He also called himself the kissless virgin because he never kissed a girl. He was angry about it too.

4. I used to think like that also but I realized that I was wasting time because that would never come true and that I wouldn't want a world like that anyway. I'm happy for you.

WalkingForward likes this.
  5. Themadfapper

Themadfapper Fapstronaut

Most of your reasoning sounds like stuff you just made up it's your opinion for why historical events you likely know very little about happened.

I don't know if being pissed off that you are starving meanwhile some rich piece of shit weights 600lbs and has to be carted around is really jealousy? Are slaves jealous of their masters? Are sweat shop "laborers" just jealous assholes?

Nowadays the people who build don't always get a lot to show for it, and people who build nothing have tons of wealth. Is one person really 5000x more valuable than another do they really need to horde so much money and live such extravagant lifestyles?

Deleted Account likes this.
  6. WalkingForward

I think jealousy had a big role both in Nazi Germany and in the communist states. But of course there were plenty of other factors involved as well.
    I don't think I could make a response to this better than this clip:

(I'm not a libertarian, but I think he makes very good points in this clip).

I usually only write here on weekends, so it might take a while before I make another reply.

7. Themadfapper

Themadfapper Fapstronaut

^ I don't know what his points are? He claims that the rich are not the reason for the poor and everyone should have no problems with income inequality? Rich people don't earn what they have they make their money off the backs of others and not everyone is cool with that. Not everyone is cool with being born into a world where all the land is already owned and you have to work your ass off just to get a small piece of it.

I thought the communist states were an uprising against the royal family? I thought people were starving to death in Germany and they were getting fucked over by the Versailles treaty? Technically were not the people in the concentration camps/Gulag "just jealous" because there is no such thing as unfair treatment or unethical acquisition of wealth, right?

What are your feelings on crime/theft/ forcible takeover of wealth? Not of course by evil poor, but when those with money already do it. It's totally cool, right?

P.S

Sorry about the aggressive tone of my posts[ I don't know what is the matter with me, frustrated lately I guess?], and for the " likely know very little about what happened" I should have worded that differently, but I had just woken up and could not come up with anything more tactful.

Last edited: May 21, 2017
  8. I Free I

I Free I Guest

This Is Great ! Thanks For Sharing ! :emoji_bow:

9. WalkingForward

It's okay :)

Political discussions can often get heated. It wasn't my original intention with this thread to have a political discussion. I brought up the Holocaust and Communism as examples, that I personally believe, to some degree had jealousy gone out of control as a factor. But I'm certainly not an expert in history/political science, so I could be wrong.

I'm not a supporter of theft. We probably have some different views on what's going on in the world, I would be happy to agree to disagree with you.

Being angry at mistreatment isn't what I would define as jealousy. And it's good to speak up against mistreatment.

I believe that the most productive way for me of living my life is to focus on what I can do to to improve myself, my life and the world around me. I have spent a lot of time on ruminating about goings on in the world that are outside of my control, and I have often just kept those thoughts to myself. I believe that's time and energy I have wasted for no good reason.

If I ever sense that I could have a positive influence by sharing my ideas, I should do that. But I shouldn't spend to much ruminating about politics or anything else, rumination generally doesn't lead anywhere for me.

I don't know what's right for others though. To a large degree, I wrote this thread as a note to self, but I also thought and hoped that some members here could find these ideas helpful.

Themadfapper likes this.
  10. overclocked

overclocked Fapstronaut

How the heck does good ol' Rodger and Breivik fit into the crab bucket? Rodger was nuts, he took some questionable medication, and if he wasn't sexually frustrated, he would have found something else to go nuts about. Breivik was an extremely antisocial criminal. Don't even try to understand anything else about people like him.

Themadfapper likes this.
  11. WalkingForward

I think Elliot Rodger fits into the crab-mentality, taken to a massive extreme of course. Breivik and his massacre might not fit into it perfectly though. I did go a bit all over the place in my OP and baked in another problem I've struggled with, rumination/day dreaming, which often is about utopian-like fantasies for me.

12. Wonderful post. Thanks! Jealousy is a thing to be thrown away, it just eats away the beauty of life.