1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Are psycologists any good with dealing with lonelyness and depression?

Discussion in 'Loneliness' started by zxcv, Jan 22, 2019.

1. zxcv

zxcv Fapstronaut

I should be getting my insurance again soon so it's time to look for a new psychologist. I've been going to psychologists off and on for years and nothing really seems to help . Mostly I've been going for social anxiety without any real help. Right now I want o concentrate on the depression and loneliness. Hopefully that also help with the social anxiety.

2. popotamous

popotamous Fapstronaut

I would say that you definitely should keep talking to counselors, albeit you may need to state exactly what you expect to gain and exactly what you want to gain from therapy. Then you have to keep track of how you're progressing. One way or the other, receiving help from professionals will be far better than a lot of help from strangers on Nofap.

That being said, what is it that primarily gets you down? Some things therapy and friends can help with, others not so much, like say you're depressed because you're between jobs. Then, your depression will heal naturally when you get employed again. Is there anything particularly depressing you or is it just some general depression for a reason you can't put your finger on?

Marik757 likes this.
  3. Marik757

Marik757 Fapstronaut

I checked myself into mental health once and it was a huge release off my shoulders. I had a lot of things on my mind. I learned a lot my weakness because I was able to open up to someone behind close doors.

At the end of the day I felt better just having someone listen.

A good psychologist will challenge your mindset and provide you with activities you should practice to better yourself.

I think it's worth it. Having a professional is better than listening to strangers as popo mentioned above.