1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone have experience with polygraph tests?

Discussion in 'Partner Support' started by Vixen, Oct 19, 2018.

1. Vixen

Vixen Fapstronaut

My discovery was a month ago and I’m trying to determine what next steps to make. I have heard several professional site polygraphs as helpful recovery tools. My husband acts as though polygraphs are ridiculous since they aren’t even admissible in court. I’ve already received some interesting insight from a PA in recovery from a previous forum. Very curious to hear more stories. I would love to hear your experiences, good or bad!

2. Moon Shot

Moon Shot Fapstronaut

Hello Vixen,

Polygraphs may be good indicators of someone telling the truth or not, and a useful tool in recovery, but from my experience, a woman's intuition is much more accurate and unerring. If you decide to use a polygraph, and there is a discrepancy between what you feel and the results of a test, please trust you.

I wish you a lot of strength in determining your next steps on this road to healing.

3. kropo82

kropo82 Fapstronaut

@Kenzi has some good posts on this; she ended up not a fan (that's putting it mildly)

Trappist likes this.
  4. I've seen some men getting ready for a disclosure and a polygraph test in a state of fear.
    Maybe it made them more honest to avoid failing?

I had a sponsor take one to make his wife feel better...

But, it may be a faulty gauge that can't fully plumb the depths of the truth.
    How the test is given; questions asked skew the results.

@kropo82 noted a poor experience above.

Your intuition along with your spouses actions are immeasurable.

(Edit I suppose it’s better to say your intuition is immeasurable
    And something to help gauge the truth. Actions are measurable, but you can’t watch someone all day. So hard when trust is broken. )

Last edited: Oct 21, 2018
    Moon Shot likes this.
  5. EyesWideOpen

EyesWideOpen Fapstronaut

Also keep in mind that sometimes regardless of the results, the SO's belief (on target or not) may render those results null and void.

I've known a couple that the results showed truthful for the husband and the wife picked it apart and refused to accept it, because it wasnt the result she wanted.

I've known a couple where the husband was accused by a family member of something serious. He took one to prove his innocence and it came out deceptive. Wife refused to believe he was guilty. (He was later proven guilty by other means.)

Yet, many others take them and they are successful in what they set out to accomplish. This seems to be the outcome more often than not but it's still somewhat of a gamble.

Bottom line, they are flawed and the results can vary based on the expertise of the person giving it/translating it, the person taking it, and the dynamics surrounding it. If you decide to go ahead with one, I suggest doing a lot of research on the examiner and the process, how questions are chosen/worded, be sure of your motivations, and what you and your husband will do with the results. It's a lot to think about. Good luck with your decision.