1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone else "addicted" on self improvement?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by SorryWontSayIt, Oct 12, 2018.

1. SorryWontSayIt

SorryWontSayIt Fapstronaut

Hi,

I don't really know how to explain this, maybe this sounds very weird to some of you.

But is it possible to be addicted to self improvement? So addicted that it is actually unhealthy?
    Family and friends have started to call me, to tell me that I need to stop working. It is nice to know that they care about me, and yes I am tierd. I will admit I have lost a bit of weigth because of studying. But I just got back to the gym. I have started to eat more again, so people will stop worry about that. (Took a longer break from gym sadly, because I got too much work to do on other areas in life, but I am trying to make time for the gym too).

Sometimes I feel shit, because I am so tierd. But I don't want to quit. I want to reach goals. I just failed my first test ever at school, which made it all worse - specially after that people have started to tell me I need to stop, because now I have to work even more. But there are so much to do, I don't understand how I will have time to do it all, if I take too long breaks.

Any tips? I feel a lot better at the same time. More confident, comfortable in myself, easier to speak my mind. But really tierd, without wanting to stop.
    Should I tell my family and friends they should stop worry and I can handle this?

Bemybest likes this.
  2. 3nigma

3nigma Fapstronaut

You know what they say: “too much of a good thing can be a bad thing.” You didnt really give us enough info to judge whether this is the case for you. What does your typical week look like? Are you making time for yourself and your family?

3. Meditation Monk

Meditation Monk Fapstronaut

I guess you lack and I HOPE to God I do not sound rude, but you sometimes lack the motivation or energy to do things like you have explained your answer. Think of it as a dopamine inside your brain. And I would love to give you some advice and tell you to do breathing exercises, try the 4,7 and 8 technique and there are quite a few types of breathing exercises. Work out, read books, eat healthy meals throughout the day, and stay busy and develop hobbies.

4. elevate

elevate Fapstronaut

There's a cost to be paid for anything you want in life. If you feel the price that you're paying is worth your goals, then I don't see the problem. It's your life. You have your priorities. Not everyone understands why other people do the things they do.

You also have to learn how to take care of yourself though. Not getting enough rest or nutrition might hold you back from your goals more than not getting more hours of work. That's up to you to find the balance though.

You'll just have to figure things out through experience. Going too far and not going far enough will help you find your balance of what's worth it and what isn't worth the price you're paying.

SorryWontSayIt likes this.
  5. It´s good that you have a vision and some goals, hungry for success. Don´t care about other´s opinion. But remember that the balance is important. Find your balance.

You can improve every day. But you do not have to go out of the skin at the same time. Do it the way it's great for you to feel stronger day by day, not burned.

Wish you the best. :emoji_muscle::emoji_punch::emoji_pray:

6. SorryWontSayIt

Thanks for all respons!

I don't see my family very often, because I live in an other part of the country - but I have taken my time to visit them. Sadly a huge part of the time I am "home with them" I have been busy studying there too. But since I am not able to visit them a lot, I call them every day.

A normal week for me is to wake up between 06-08 in the morning, go to school at 14-16:00, start reading again till 20-22:00 then go to sleep again.
    I know I have had a problem when it comes to taking time to eat between all the studying, and I have not given myself time to really workout or relax with friends lately. But I don't feel there is time. (I am have gotten better when it comes to eating tho). Just that my family worry when I visit them, because they can see I have lost weigth.
    Yesterday for example I woke up around 07:00 and worked till 21:00. I guess I can cut a little bit back, so I can give myself some more time for family, friends and myself.

I have given it some thougth this morning... I gave myself some time to rest this morning, did not set my alarm. Slept from 23:00-11:00.

Will try to make myself a rule that I at least give myself time for the gym, or an fun activity that equals the time I would spend at the gym every day. And accept that I work the rest of the day, and I will see how this goes.

7. Well, in the past few months I am addicted to self improvement too, but I call myself a workaholic. Lately I study so much for tests that when the test is starting I have so much shit on my mind I cant event put it down on the paper so I fail. I was usually ill in the past because I was goin so hard.. but my immune system got better, I go to the gym and take vitamins, eat healthy asf and got at least 7 hours sleep every day. I like it tho, but as mentioned above balance is everything. I want to be the best as possible in any field of my life. Not only school, or nofap, but also in relationships, health, etc.. You should take these other things into consideration if you really want to improve "as a whole"

I have goals in life and I know I have to work hard for them and the prize in the end will cost sacrifices..
    If its chronic, you should probably get some help!

All the best!

8. SorryWontSayIt

Thanks!

Yeah, I really want to improve "as a whole". So today I have studied far less, but I have given myself some time to focus on other areas of my life. I will give myself some time to go more to the gym, spend some time with family and friend sometimes, but still be very focused at school.

Yesterday I was so tierd I felt like faint. So I guess I will give some more time to other areas of my life too. It is not school only I want to do good in. And I already have a good education if I dont do perfect here :,)

9. Deadlihood

Deadlihood Fapstronaut

Eh.

I don’t think about self-improving enough.

10. Yeah if you're getting tired and loosing weight (if that is bad), maybe have a 'cheat day' once a week where you just eat crap and watch movies etc. Plus, perhaps designate a part of each day to just chilling.

11. SorryWontSayIt

Thanks!

Done more or less what you say. I give myself time to eat more each day (because the loss of weigth for me is bad). Also I give myself one other task to complete each day, that is not related to school. For example going to the gym, a hike, cleaning the appartment, etc.

Really anything that is not related to work, that boost my mood too :)

12. I tend to loose weight easily, so I have a vegan protein smoothie in the morning with a ton of veg and fruit in it.
    Overall, it is good that you're trying hard and you'll probably look back on this period as having been a crucial period of your life. Just don't totally forget crap TV and pizza..

13. I have been before. You can’t over force or over push yourself. Especially fitness wise or you will destroy your body. Try to work within your own limitations , listen to yourself, your body and feelings. Don’t compete with others, only with yourself: good luck.

SirErnest likes this.
  14. SorryWontSayIt

Thanks to all replys!

I know I will have to listen to my body, both when it comes to study and workout. I just feel like the studies take up too much time currently, so I am not able to achive my goals when it comes to fitness/workout. But I guess I will just keep study, and when the time comes when I have a bit more time on my hand I will workout more :)

15. fredisthebes

fredisthebes Fapstronaut

If, like me, you like to obsessively plan and list everything out, then schedule in regular 'down time' and STICK TO IT. Also start recording how much sleep you have/the quality (there are Fitbit and iPhone apps if you like), if you are regularly getting less than 6 hours a night then it is time to rethink.

And yes, the occasion full day off is absolutely worth it. Burn out is real and it is not fun. Take care of yourself.

16. SorryWontSayIt

Thank you! :)

I have given myself some more time to do other stuff. Both that are important in life and that are important to feel happiness!

It was really painful at some time there. I did not allow myself to sleep long/well enough, I did not let myself eat enough.

Thanks to all who have responded and my family (they won't see this tho). Family members called me maybe on the day I was at the worst. Told me that they could hear my voice that I was tierd, I was actually so tierd I broke down and cried. They told me to stop, get something to eat and rest. When I was out going to buy some food, I felt like I was going to fall. I was to tierd, I felt like I was going to faint.

Now I am feeling better tho :)

17. Minsc

Minsc Fapstronaut

One thing is to not overly compare ourselves with others. Some people just naturally seem to have more energy. Others push themselves way beyond their limits and are on a fast track to burnout. Stepping outside ones comfort zone is fine, running out into the middle of a jungle is a different beast entirely.

Good to hear that you are feeling better. I'm going to take this as a reminder that I need to step back.