1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Anybody mask loneliness with humour?

Discussion in 'Loneliness' started by BetterMan123, Mar 12, 2017.

1. BetterMan123

BetterMan123 Fapstronaut

Hey there, I kind of have a question, but not really sure how to puthe it into words... so here goes.

I like to think I'm humorous at times, I can make people laugh at myself and them selves, as well as just in general joking. I don't know if I'm just 'putting on a face' or what, because I don't have many good friends. Actually, I dare say I only have one, and I havnt really kept in contact over the years. I seem to have a lot of acquaintances though, and I like hanging out with them/drinking with them, but have never really considered them friends, you Know? I don't know if this is just introverted behaviour, or what, but I do know that after I pmo'd I'd always feel realy fuckin guilty, and really fuckin alone. I hope this changes on my journey.

I guess I'm looking for anyone that might have these same Feelings? Or can relate? Just curious is all.

Whackless and vibemaker like this.
  2. Jae

Jae Fapstronaut

I feel ya, man.
    I tell lame dad jokes to cover up the fact that I want to throw myself over a cliff.

3. BetterMan123

BetterMan123 Fapstronaut

Damn, sorry to hear that. Ive always liked lame dad jokes, they're like level 2 puns. Humble, in their own right, and usually pretty terrible lol

Jae likes this.
  4. Marr

Marr Fapstronaut

DEAD :D

Nova Satus likes this.
  5. Jae

Jae Fapstronaut

I wish ;)

6. Noelle

Noelle Fapstronaut

Friends are a distractions. If you're putting on a mask to appease anyone in your life (outside of an employer or professor), you're selling yourself short.

7. Potato93

Potato93 Fapstronaut

humour is humour, loneliness is loneliness. I dont know

8. Pediners

Pediners Fapstronaut

I like to call it the Chandler Effect
    Altough Psychology probably has a better name for it

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
    Deleted Account likes this.
  9. Are you referring to Chandler from Friends?

10. Pediners

Pediners Fapstronaut

11. Awakening123

Awakening123 Fapstronaut

Naah, life's already laughing at me.

12. Jojo man

Jojo man Fapstronaut

Dude I feel the SAME EXACT way

13. chanteur49

chanteur49 Fapstronaut

I can relate man. I'm generally known for being that one quiet kid. I only have 1 or 2 people whom I consider close friends. "Awkwardness", isolation, guilt, loneliness, and loss of social skills have all been side effects for me.

Whackless and Jojo man like this.
  14. Whackless

Whackless Fapstronaut

Whoa! Well at least start telling not so lame jokes there pal!

Jae likes this.
  15. Vinsent

Vinsent Fapstronaut

Many a true word is spoken in jest.

So, here's my lame dad joke (my boy found it very funny)....What do you call a bunch on avo's rolling down a mountain? An avolanche.

Awakening123 likes this.
  16. The-O

The-O New Fapstronaut

My fellow kindred spirit I know exactly how you feel. Humour at times comes from a really dark place. Robin Williams even had his own demons and he was (atleast for me) one of the funniest humans to have graced this earth. I too feel the constant need to laugh and make other's smile. Is it a healthy character trait? I don't know. Does that make you a bad person, no! Hopefully through this life change you will learn more about yourself and maybe some acceptance.

17. J247

J247 Fapstronaut

My life in a nutshell.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2017
    Jae likes this.
  18. Gustavian86

Gustavian86 Fapstronaut

Humor is the main way that I hide from people and from myself. Hiding in plain sight as they say. But it's draining. I yearn for true connection with people, but I'm also starving for attention from my own self. So that's where pmo comes in along with isolating and eating junk food, watching netflix and going to the movies. I live in a hidden world but I have found that the more I step out of that as uncomfortable as it is, the better I feel in the long run. Of course breaking through that comfort zone is not always as easy as it sounds. Have you considered journaling your authentic thoughts and feelings on different things? That will give you a start on getting in tune with your genuine self and to start finding what you really think and feel on things. It will also provide relief from that feeling of isolation.

19. Dc76

Dc76 Guest

My humor gets me attention from girls sometimes. So maybe the coping is actually a weapon against loneliness

20. Gustavian86

Gustavian86 Fapstronaut

Do you find you are rejecting yourself internally at all with your humor?