1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Anxiety/panic attacks

Discussion in 'Loneliness' started by Casanerd20, Jun 13, 2018.

1. Casanerd20

Casanerd20 Fapstronaut

I’m just happy I’m getting checked at an early stage. I’ll usually be stubborn and see if I can tough it out. Compared to how I felt the first week after my attack I can tell I’ve improved a little in dealing with it. Part of the reason I’ve held off was because I don’t know exactly what it was. They did urine and blood tests and even x rays of my chest and they said everything was perfect. My family also is always telling me I’m fine which kind of makes me angry and even more anxious because I don’t think they know what it feels like.However I think it’s for the best that I take care of this whether it’s reboot related or not especially at an early stage.

FX-05 likes this.
  2. P-Free

P-Free Fapstronaut

I couldn't agree more! This last bout that I'm dealing with, I caught after three days. I've learned to recognize it. In the past, I've waited, trying to tough it out. The last time I did that, my resting pulse at the doctor's office (after sitting in the exam room for 30 minutes) was 100 beats per minute! The longer we wait, the harder it is to get under control. So, I'm very relieved you're not waiting. I get it, though. All the tests say it's nothing, your family agrees with the tests, it makes you doubt yourself. That's one of the reasons I speak so openly about my mental illness: so many people don't understand what it feels like to experience it. I also think the old stigma of "ewww, crazy!" is still active in our society. Such bullshit (pardon my language). Plus, I think it scares them because they don't understand it and are afraid of what they don't understand.

Reboot-related or not, I'm proud of you for taking a step to help yourself. I cannot tell you enough how important it is and how much easier it can be to treat, if you do something about it in the early stages! Way to go, man! :)

3. Casanerd20

Casanerd20 Fapstronaut

I feel you on the sharing with people. Idk why but I feel so relieved and I feel like some of it goes away when I share with someone. I don’t know 100% what it is for sure but I like sharing how I feel and most of the time some have gone through it in their life. We live in the age of anxiety and honestly I think it’s okay to feel anxious when your stressed or there’s something big In your life. The problem starts when it turns into fear of the experience. I think right now I’m just letting it overtake my life and I spend too much thinking about it. It is scary because I’ve never been through anything like this in my life. I’m 20 and I’ve never experienced anything like it but I hope my doctor can tell me more about it and if I get meds hopefully through time I can get back to myself l.

P-Free likes this.
  4. P-Free

P-Free Fapstronaut

First, you will get back to yourself, I promise. I know it feels hard to believe now, but you will. I've been there and you will come back to yourself. Anxiety has a nasty sense of humor. The cruelest joke is this:

Getting anxious about your anxiety.

It's a real thing and many people feel it. In fact, the last acute anxiety attack I had (detailed in my journal), was brought on by witnessing a minor argument and having a fight or flight response. When it felt like it was taking the adrenaline too long to leave my system (it really wasn't taking too long), I started to worry about it being anxiety. I got home and had the worst acute attack I'd ever experienced. Getting anxious about your anxiety is a real thing. Not saying that you'll have an attack, don't take that the wrong way!

Talking about it with someone who is either open minded or actually has experienced it does make it a great relief. Especially when you don't really know what's happening. I'm glad I saw your original post and answered. When my first one happened, I had no clue what was going on, either. And, no one who really did or had gone through it. I remember how scary that is, and if by telling my story, I can help one person like you feel safer, and that everything will be okay, I'll keep on telling it.

5. Casanerd20

Casanerd20 Fapstronaut

I feel like that is exactly what I am going through right now !! I’ve managed to control my attacks and the last one I had was a minor one and lasted a little bit. I know they can’t harm me or kill me and that’s what I try to remember. I feel like right now I’m anxious about being anxious and I keep thinking about what happened and what it might be. I think it’s normal since it hasn’t been that long. Just like you had a reaction to an argument the same happened to me but it was different. Me and my dad went to a place we usually go to eat and he always buys $5 scratch offs which one time I actually won $200 from. He got me a ticket and I started scratching it and everything was matching and It did match. But either way it was only a $20 price. But the excitement I got from it thinking I was gonna win a huge prize actually caused another attack. I just felt my heart beating fast and my arms hands and legs going numb and I just wanted to run out of the place. It was scary but I was able to get through it

P-Free likes this.
  6. P-Free

P-Free Fapstronaut

Yup! You know exactly what I mean!! That's definitely a good sign that you're doing the right thing by seeing a doctor. Normal, everyday anxiety ("I have an exam coming up") does not behave like what you're experiencing. Please know that you are on the right track. I hope you can get your appointment soon. I know how you feel and it is no fun. In the meantime, try to keep yourself distracted from thinking about it (I know, easier said than done). And do keep telling yourself you'll be okay. They aren't going to harm you or kill you. I know it's scary, but I believe in you. You can do this! If your body reacts to the meds like mine, you will literally feel a lot better within 30 minutes.

7. Casanerd20

Casanerd20 Fapstronaut

I do feel like I’m getting better or at least learning to cope with it. I’m getting my sleep, I’m actually eating now (I couldn’t really eat the week after my attack my anxiety and fear was through the roof), I’m working out, and I’m taking cold showers. Even when my anxiety feels high I would still want to fight it when going out. I go to church with family and I even go do errands with my family just to get out the house. It feels like my anxiety does go up and sometimes I have to fight it longer but eventually I get to a point where my mind is like “okay you’ve been out for a long time and nothing bad has happened or is going to happen” and I suddenly start to calm down. My goal is when I have to go out to do something I don’t suddenly stop and start thinking about my anxiety acting up as soon as I leave the house or when I’m at school.

P-Free likes this.
  8. P-Free

P-Free Fapstronaut

That sounds really good. You're getting sleep and physical activity, which will all help you heal And, going out with family, even when it feels challenging. I think, between your coping skills, and a little medication to help you over the rough spots, you'll be fine soon!

9. Casanerd20

Casanerd20 Fapstronaut

I’ve also dropped certain things like social media and I’ve just started doin other things like reading and playing guitar again. Also praying helps me cope with it too. I do believe that social media does contribute to anxiety since your just constantly looking and you are always comparing yourself to other people.

P-Free likes this.
  10. P-Free

P-Free Fapstronaut

I think that all sounds good! You’re replacing old habits with good, healthy habits. I agree with you about social media. Not only are we looking and comparing, but in some respects, we are seeking connection (or at least I am when I use it). And, sometimes we find a friend. Mostly, it’s a waste of time.

11. Casanerd20

Casanerd20 Fapstronaut

Overall though I do feel like I’m getting better. It’s all about not letting my mind take control of things. I really do hope it’s nothing serious and with the proper care I can beat it. I first thought it was all due to my reboot which was the only thing that made sense since I’ve never been through this. Also it could just be stress or anxiety built up over time and maybe doing bad in college this semester and failing classes was all it took.

P-Free likes this.
  12. P-Free

P-Free Fapstronaut

I would say it sounds like you are on the right track. With all of the good things that you are doing and a little bit of medication to help you through, you will be just fine! One other thing that tells me this is a good path for you is that it seems like your thinking sometimes gets caught in a circular loop. Not a criticism, I promise! Mine does the same when my anxiety is acting up. I really do think you are just going through a bad patch and with a little bit of help from the doctor and all the good things you are already doing, you will come out of it just great!

13. Casanerd20

Casanerd20 Fapstronaut

No criticism at all !! In fact I agree with you. I think the reason I am struggling so much is because that’s all I think about. Before I go out that’s the first thing that comes to mind is if my anxiety is gonna act up as soon as I step out. I also think it’s a process and it’s something that might take longer. Like I said I’m actually eating more and I’m starting good habits. I feel comfortable going out for a run and working out. I remember the week after my attack I had to be in the living room every day and my sister and brother in law had to come keep me company because I couldn’t be alone. I believe it’s little by little and step by step to get your mind back to a more healthy and confident stage

P-Free likes this.
  14. P-Free

P-Free Fapstronaut

Good to hear! What you have described about the week after your attack is very normal. Also, what you’re feeling now is, too. One of the tricks anxiety plays on us is that not only do we get anxious about our anxiety, but it will pick up a particular thought or issue and continually run it in our minds over and over and over again.

15. Casanerd20

Casanerd20 Fapstronaut

What can I do or how do I know exactly what that thought or issue is so I don’t let it affect me as much ?

P-Free likes this.
  16. P-Free

P-Free Fapstronaut

If you notice yourself having an internal conversation and it’s the same conversation over and over no matter how many times you reach a conclusion to it. That’s probably a fact caused by anxiety. Treat it like you would an urge to pmo. Identify it, don’t focus on it, distract yourself and move on. It will take practice. But you can do it! The medication will temporarily help you do it, too. But you must still make the effort.

nia108 likes this.
  17. Casanerd20

Casanerd20 Fapstronaut

I’ll de
    I’ll definitely try and figure out my thoughts more and see exactly what causes my anxiety to be worse on some days

P-Free likes this.
  18. P-Free

P-Free Fapstronaut

Good. It’s a fine line though. Do you want to be aware, but don’t be over focused if that makes sense.

19. P-Free

P-Free Fapstronaut

I’m heading to bed. I’ll be back on tomorrow though. Have a good night, my friend!

20. Casanerd20

Casanerd20 Fapstronaut

Another thing that’s also been happening is that at least 4 nights this week I’ve had nothing but wet dreams. I got em every once in a while when I was still pmo but since I’ve stopped like a month ago they’ve been more constant it’s almost and every night thing.

P-Free likes this.