1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Anxiety/panic attacks

Discussion in 'Loneliness' started by Casanerd20, Jun 13, 2018.

1. Casanerd20

Casanerd20 Fapstronaut

I’ve done nofap before and only lasted a month. After I relapsed I found myself indulging even more in Pmo than I did before. I had a panic attack after my first week on a Sunday and went to the er because I was so scared. It’s been about a month and I have this fear and anxiety I’ve never felt before. Some days are better than others and on the days I think I have it beat I get a panic attack. I can kind of control them a little better and they only last about 5-8 minutes if I don’t react like I did the first time. They’re still scary as hell but I know they can’t harm me or kill me. My question is do you guys think this is part of the process and the withdrawal kicked in because the time I relapsed I went into pmo harder than ever. It wasn’t just the stuff I watched but also the amount of time I spent on it. I have never had problems with anxiety or panic attacks in the past. I’m 20 years old and I’ve always been healthy and calm. Now that I think about it I think pmo in high school is what kept me calm but if you guys know or think it’s just part of withdrawal let me know.

2. P-Free

P-Free Fapstronaut

It could be part of withdrawal. It could also be a sign of generalized anxiety disorder. That happens when something in life makes you very anxious and even after that something is gone, the anxiety remains.

The fact that it seems to be ever present in the background, leads me to believe it may be worth a trip to your doctor. I have the condition myself and I know what you’re experiencing. It’s terrifying. The longer you let it go, the bigger the risk that it could get worse. Not trying to scare you, but I also believe in good self-care and not suffering The fact that it seems to be ever present in the background, leads me to believe it may be worth a trip to your doctor. I have the condition myself and I know what you’re experiencing. It’s terrifying. The longer you let it go, the bigger the risk that it could get worse. Not trying to scare you, but I also believe in good self-care and not suffering unnecessarily.

Just my opinion. Either way, I wish you the very best!

SanctionedUser001 and spaces like this.
  3. Casanerd20

Casanerd20 Fapstronaut

Idk what it may be because like I said I’ve never had any type of anxiety or panic attack. The first panic attack I had like a month ago I had it while I was in my room playing video games. I was so scared cus it had never happened.Do you take any meds and do they help ?

4. P-Free

P-Free Fapstronaut

It can be a scary experience especially at first. My situation is probably different than yours. I have had it on and off for years. In the past, my doctor would prescribe Klonopin, an anti-anxiety medication. It worked wonders! That type of treatment is temporary. Once the anxiety is gone and you don’t feel it without the meds, you wean off the meds. I have done that several times. To the point that my doctor and I have now developed a longer-term treatment strategy. I have different meds for the long term, and and using Klonopin to deal with any anxiety that breaks through the other meds. Both the long term and the short term treatment worked amazingly well for me! If you think this might be generalized anxiety disorder, I strongly urge you to see your doctor soon. It is probably only the short term variety for you. But, yes, the meds make a world of difference. The other nice thing is you will feel a difference within a half an hour of taking the Klonopin, if that’s what they give you. Please ask any questions you like and please do keep me updated. I’m happy to help if I can.

5. Casanerd20

Casanerd20 Fapstronaut

Thank you so much for taking the time to talk to me about this. I think after my first panic attack I was traumatized by it I couldn’t even stay in my room alone I had to always be in the living room in the presence of someone else because I felt my thoughts would be worse when I’m alone. After it happened I had anxiety going out. It got bad that I couldn’t eat in a restaurant without my anxiety spiking. I also lost my appetite and stopped eating which made me feel weak and made the anxiety worse but even know even if I’m not hungry I force myself to eat and I feel like it really does help. Idk if maybe I just called it on myself after my panic attack. I’m a college student and am usually stressed out a lot maybe that could have something to do with it. I think maybe my body is just aware and scared of what I went through but at some point I think I have to forget about it. I’m trying to not drive myself or think about it being a mental health problem since I’ve always been good. I’ll admit I’m a shy guy and maybe sometimes I was a little anxious but not to the point of getting attacks or being scared to go to the movies or out to eat.

6. P-Free

P-Free Fapstronaut

You’re welcome, my friend! It’s a scary thing to face alone. The more you tell me, the more I am convinced you are having some sort of generalized anxiety disorder. It isn’t a sign of weakness or not being good or any other thing, it’s just an illness, like diabetes. The fact that it has remained for so long and no matter what situation you’re in, is what leads me to believe you should see a doctor. It’s possible that your first attack set it off. The cruel joke about anxiety is that those who have it can actually get anxious about their anxiety, which only makes it worse. Stress definitely will not help. If you have a family doctor, Please call tomorrow and get an appointment as soon as possible. There is relief and you do not need to suffer this.

7. Casanerd20

Casanerd20 Fapstronaut

I’m praying it’s only a temporary thing that’s happening since my panic attack. Hopefully with the right medication I can get over it.

8. P-Free

P-Free Fapstronaut

My best advice is don’t think about it in terms of temporary versus not. Chances are very very strong that it is only a temporary condition. It happens to many people. If you worry about it being more than temporary, you were only agitated more and cause yourself more suffering. Thank of it as just temporary and get that doctor appointment as soon as possible. With the right medication, it will pass, I promise. One other piece of advice, I would specifically bring up Klonopin. It’s been around for a very long time, is proven safe and is available as a generic, so it’s not expensive.

9. Casanerd20

Casanerd20 Fapstronaut

Thank you so much. Your right about the advice. I wake up thinking if my anxiety is gonna be high if I’m gonna feel normal or if I’m gonna have a panic attack that day. Ive been eating healthier and working out like I used to before. When I’m home alone I go on YouTube and watch things that get my mind off things. Basically I feel good doing things or talking to people. Is it normal that for the first few days after my attack I couldn’t watch certain things or play certain video games fearing it would spike my anxiety ?? I felt good the other day and turned on gta for about 10 minutes because I felt my anxiety spiking. Also now when I do feel like I’m getting a panic attack I’m able to just close my eyes and stop my mind from running on and on like the first time and it usually just goes away within like 5 minutes and even know after I’m able to feel somewhat normal again. The first few times I felt more scared and drained that I would just go lay down but now I can find it easier to get over it. The reason I posted on here was because I read of a lot of people going through this after they stop for real and since I’ve never had these problems maybe I thought it was just part of the rebooting process

10. P-Free

P-Free Fapstronaut

You’re welcome. Eating healthier and working out and doing distracting things (healthy ones) along with socializing will help, too. It is perfectly normal after an anxiety attack and even when it’s just anxiety in the background, to feel anxious about or unable to do certain things. When my first experience with it happened, there were nights I couldn’t go sleep in my own bed. I had to sleep in the living room. I’m glad to hear you are finding ways of getting control of it! That leads me to believe that this is only a temporary issue. It could be related to your reboot. The big question I would have for you is, whether it’s reboot related or not, is it constant and off (which it sounds like it is) that it is interfering with your life and making you uncomfortable? If that is the case, you definitely need to see a doctor.

11. Casanerd20

Casanerd20 Fapstronaut

Some days are better than others. Some days I feel like I’m back to normal again but I’m dumb enough to keep thinking about it and I think I call it on myself. Some days I don’t even feel my anxiety as high as it has been and I actually had a panic attack yesterday but I closed my eyes stopped thinking and it went away fast and I was a able to get over it. I also drink tea at night which helps me sleep better. The first few days I didn’t sleep enough but now I drink tea I put on my earphones and I am sleeping better. I maybe might need something to help me get rid of it for now and maybe I’ll feel better as I also continue with my routine

12. P-Free

P-Free Fapstronaut

It sounds like you are coping really well. It may be possible that a prescription (short term) would be the last push to get you over this, with everything else you’re doing. Just food for thought.

13. Casanerd20

Casanerd20 Fapstronaut

How long have you been dealing with it ?? And when did it start for you ??

14. Fallensoldier1

Fallensoldier1 Fapstronaut

I have had increased anxiety and stress as well since trying to stop pmoing. The longer I go with out pmo, the better and more calm I get, public places or people don’t bother me normally. Never have. But when I am coming off a relapse and such everything stresses me out and I get very anxious around people and want to avoid them. I have not taken an medication for it though. Everyone is different in their opinions, but MOST, not all, most of the time all those prescription meds do more harm than good, imo.

When I was younger I was on several different anti depressants. All they did was make me gain weight and make it to where I couldn’t hardly O.

Now if you are concerned about your heath defitnley visit a doctor for some tests and blood work to make sure everything is okay.

However what you mentioned seems very normal. Especially after coming off a hard relapse.

15. P-Free

P-Free Fapstronaut

My first episode was a little over 10 years ago. It took about three months of treatment before it was gone. Weaning off of the medication took a few more months. Now that case was very severe.

I did not have a repeat experience until a year or so after my mother died. Treatment for couple months, wean off the drug, everything is fine. The following year, it happened again, same treatment. This January it returned as a very mild case. But because mine keeps returning, we decided to go for longer term care. Yours really sounds like a short-term problem, so I wouldn’t focus too hard on how many times mine came back. It is doubtful that will happen to you. After my mom died, there were several other trumatic experiences that kept it returning.

16. Fallensoldier1

Fallensoldier1 Fapstronaut

I’m sorry to hear about your situation and the loss of your mother! I hope you can find a way to get rid of your general anxiety for good.

Clerk373, P-Free and (deleted member) like this.
  17. P-Free

P-Free Fapstronaut

To your point @Fallensoldier1, not every case requires medication, I agree. As far as your statement about the drug is causing more harm than good, I agree with one minor change. You were on antidepressants. In younger people, those can cause more problems than good. Anti-anxiety medications are completely different classes of medications with completely different systems of action. I am definitely not pushing drugs here, but what concerns me most is the original posters issue Is not going away. That is more of a sign of a medical issue than just reboot, though it certainly could have been brought on by reboot. Please no I am not trying to be argumentative, I totally respect your opinion.

Fallensoldier1 likes this.
  18. P-Free

P-Free Fapstronaut

Thank you for your kind words, I truly appreciate it. At this point, it is unlikely mine will go away. Never say never, but it doesn’t seem very likely.

Also, I am glad you are here to provide a different perspective for the original poster.

Fallensoldier1 likes this.
  19. Casanerd20

Casanerd20 Fapstronaut

this semester was very stressful and I actually ended up failing 2 of my classes. In no way does this compare to losing someone as loved as a mother. I would probably have the same thing happen again if I went through something like that. I think at the end of the day it’s all about the mindset. It’s hard to say that with what we both are going through and it might be for different reasons and maybe mine might be just a short term response to stress or anxiety but it’s all about being positive and accepting it and coping with it. Luckily we live in the age where we have many types of treatment available

20. P-Free

P-Free Fapstronaut

Thank you, I appreciate it. Failing two classes could certainly do it. What brought my first one on is failing the bar exam.