1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Annoyed by GF for not letting me be self-destructive

Discussion in 'Rebooting in a Relationship' started by Deleted Account, Mar 4, 2019.

1. My GF of 5 years is on vacation for 3 days now and I`ve realized how much she impacts my every day life. I consider everything that`s good for me a chore; brushing my teeth, showering, cleaning, taking out the trash, eat healthy, sitting upright and avoid slouching in the couch. She`s been gone for 30 hours and the apartment looks like a mess, I`ve been napping after school, spent the entire day slouching in the sofa playing a stupid game on my phone (I even spent money on it), PMOing, eating junk-food and skipped brushing my teeth this morning.

Then it struck me that this is how most of my life has been before my current relationship; always rushing to the computer after school/work (like every second mattered), looking forward to eating junk-food later in the evening (unhealthy food makes me "high" and brings me joy), napping, gaming/spending time on the computer the entire evening and only getting a couple of hours of sleep before work/school and my apartment was always messy. I`ve also always had an addiction that involves money (gambling, stock market, etc).
    I don`t know if this is a dopamin addiction or what it is, but it`s definitely what I find most comfortable. I know every single one of these habits are bad for me, at least "to much" of it, but I keep doing them.

Then I think of most of the times I get annoyed by my GF and it is because she keeps me from being destructive and doing all these things. If I want junk-food (which I always do) and she suggests that we eat something healthy I will get annoyed and let down (without telling her about it ofc). The same thing about cleaning the apartment, even to the extent where I will get angry with her for cleaning the apartment even though she doesn`t ask me to help her.

Luckily we spend almost every day together so it`s not often I`m able to go on like this. I still find it scary how I`m avoiding all discomfort, even as a grown man, and being OK with how I let everything go. I also can`t understand how childish I act and how I refuse to "accept" being a grown man.

2. Ridley

Ridley Fapstronaut

Beating yourself up about it isn't going to turn you into a "grown man".

Friend, you are perfectly capable of living the life you want to live with or without your girlfriend around. I think that whatever barrier is preventing you from cleaning your apartment, eating healthy, getting enough sleep, saving your money, and being productive with your time when she's away is purely psychological. Think of that barrier as a bully in your mind that makes fun of you (it's probably the voice in your head that calls you "childish" as you have in your OP). It's a bully that gets weaker the more you're aware of it. When you call yourself unhygienic, or lazy, or frivolous, or irresponsible, or childish, ask yourself where that is coming from. Are those conclusions based on your experiences, on the facts of life? On both? On neither? How are you coming from a life experience you had or from a certain fact of life to the conclusion that you are one of these nasty adjectives you've labeled yourself with? In what way are you ignoring certain other experiences you've had that contradict the conclusion?

If you continue to call yourself childish, then I guess that's what you are.

EyesWideOpen and Deleted Account like this.
  3. Nickthetrick

Nickthetrick New Fapstronaut

I resonate with Wilk86. My wife keeps me from being destructive, but, a lot of the time it pisses me off. I feel like she nit picks at me and talks to me condescendingly. A lot of this comes from how I was programmed, i.e. raised. My parents were some bad role models and thus I have held onto a lot of insecurities that make me weak. It is so difficult changing your habits and your mind set, my wife thinks that is all a matter of will (she is wrong). Another problems is she doesn't do the things sexually that I would want her to do and that is honestly really fucked up on my part. However, it stresses me and when I don't get what I want out of sex. I could go on but I am not. It feels really good to vent and rant on this forum.

Deleted Account likes this.
  4. Thanks for the replies!
    I just find it fascinating how this is affecting me, even at this age. I think this has a lot to do with me not feeling good enough and inferior to others my age- I basically feel like a child compared to them. I used to think I was normal, but suddenly I was overwhelmed by how more assertive, professional and grown up people my own age was and acted. I went from feeling normal to useless in matter of months.
    My biggest discovery is that I am the problem, not everyone else, and that the way I was raised plays a big part in it. I don't mind feeling "useless" as long as I know why I do it. I'm in my thirties and often feel and act like a child, but at the same time I hate when people don't treat me like a grown up.

5. GoodFeeling

GoodFeeling Fapstronaut

This is literally me if you take out the gambling aspect. I would be interested in having a DM convo. Msg me if you want to. Sharing would be really helpful for the both of us.

6. Feel free to DM me if you want to.