1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Always Late for Stuff

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by RobinCoenBrosFan, Jul 3, 2019.

1. RobinCoenBrosFan

RobinCoenBrosFan Fapstronaut

Any recommendations for how to get better at being on time for, umm, everything? A strategy I’m gonna start implementing now is give yourself an extra hour (pretend you have to be there an hour before you actually do). I’m just looking for suggestions on how to approach this in a fail safe way so I don’t get fired.

Or to just have my life suck less.

Thanks

kaylee time likes this.
  2. I’ve always set my clocks 10 minutes earlier than the actual time and if I have to drive somewhere I’ll usually always give myself an hour in advance. For work my motto was “better to be early than fired” and this actually has saved my job when I was sick and was out of the office for a while since my employer always noticed I was early when I would show up so he never questioned that I wanted to be there.

Deleted Account and kaylee time like this.
  3. Hros

Hros Fapstronaut

My watch is set 5-6 minutes early. It's relieving to know I've always got a few extra minutes. Another idea is to walk fast or to run wherever you need to go, that way you also get some exercise.

kaylee time and brilliantidiot like this.
  4. badbanana

badbanana Fapstronaut

I used to live right on the mountain/central time change. Man was it relieving when I thought I was late to something and would actually be almost an hour early lol. I found it beneficial to find ways to enjoy being in the car like listening to podcasts. That way you don't mind taking off way earlier than you need to.

Hros and kaylee time like this.
  5. brilliantidiot

brilliantidiot Fapstronaut

6. You know how long your various trips take so just start aiming to be places 35 minutes early.

All you guys that told him to set you clocks back 10 minutes know you just end up screwing around or snoozing for an extra 10 minutes because you know you have an extra 10 minutes, LOL.

kaylee time likes this.
  7. That might be the case for some but it’s never worked like that for me, hence why I do it. :)

8. kaylee time

kaylee time Fapstronaut

I would say learn to be THAT GUY. The one that is always early, so definitely on time. The guy that if youre not early, people notice and usually jokingly ask if everything is okay haha. But seriously, be the kind of employee you would want working for you as an employer. And i know this is easier said than done, especially if you dont love what you do. Quite frankly, no matter how much you enjoy your job, work is still work and you still have to go there even on days you just dont feel like doing something, whether you love it or not. For the longest time i felt like i was always rushing last minute to get to work, rushing to get home. And then I got confronted in a way, and realized what i looked like as an employee, ya know? Where truth hurts but you realize you arent the guy people count on to be there, whether they realize it or not. But you can definitely do something about it. No matter if youre trying to get promoted and climb the ladder or if you are simply trying to be as good at your job as you can be, it makes a difference. And at the end of the day you can be proud of yourself, and quite frankly, when you start doing just a little more than what is required of you, you realize how lazy other people are and notice everyone elses late habits, and never want to be seen as that kind of person again.
    I dont believe in setting your clocks 10 or however minutes early, because i will always know i have those minutes because my mind will do the math so thats pointless to me, it does work for some people, but not for myself.
    Start being realistic with your time. For example, usually when i get in the car, (my phone is too smart now) but it tells me that im 14 minutes away from work. And even if it doesnt, i know realistically unless something major happens and theres traffic on the road, it takes me around 15 minutes to get to work, give or take a few minutes. So if i work at 2, the latest i can leave the house is at 1:30, because in 15 minutes itll be 1:45 and Ill be 15 minutes early. But again, parking and walking into the building and then clocking in takes a few minutes, so i will at least be 10 minutes early, which is almost late for me. So i kind of have a routine down for how my morning goes.
    Also i have alarms set every 15 minutes or so in the morning to keep me on track with getting ready. I space it out as a reminder to myself because i know how long each thing i do in the morning takes. I find this helped me a lot when i was struggling with time management. I dont usually snooze my alarms because once im awake im conscious even if im being lazy and lay in bed for a few more minutes so i might as well embrace the day. But i think i just really started paying attention to my habits and being realistic about how i do things.
    I think anything is possible if you put your mind to it. Prioritize. Its very rewarding. Sorry for how long my response became.

Deleted Account likes this.
  9. I used to pack my schedule full with activity, stay up late and try to wake up as late as possible and still get to work until I got fat and started forcing myself to work out in the mornings. I aslo got spiritually serious and started doing prayer and devotion in the morning. I was forced to get up extra early and give my self ample time so I didn't have to rush and It was awesome when I got to the point where I wasn't rushing everywhere. Starting your day is a whole different experience when you're not jumping out of bed and rushing to the shower then rushing to meet some obligation. You have time to relax and get focused instead of beginning some stressful race against the clock then do some life threatening demolition derby on the freeway. If it takes 30 minutes to get to work I give myself 40 so I'm actually able to enjoy the drive so I'm not on the road risking my life to gain an extra 20 feet or make one light. When I arrived at the job I hated, I was relaxed and ready to work instead of being stressed out already. Not rushing is a way different way of life.

kaylee time and Deleted Account like this.