1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Almost 22 and beardless

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by HotToddy, Apr 5, 2018.

1. HotToddy

HotToddy Fapstronaut

I guess one thing that really makes me feel inadequate is my fucking genes.

I'm a very un-hairy person (believe me I wouldn't want to be a gorilla) but the hair I do have on parts of my body (armpits, snail trail, etc) are pathetic. I have about 20 thin hairs around my belly button all in random places.

I never even really developed hair on my arms. The only hairs visible would be up close and in very good light.

And let's just say if I didn't shave for a month I'd look like a paedophile/Mexican teenager; sparse hairs on my chin, about 15 hairs under my lip and a tache that screams puberty. Tiny baby blonde hairs on my cheeks (again only visible up close).

I've had a "puberty moustache" for 6 years now. It's gotten thicker and darker/more visible but at this rate I'll be baby faced til I'm in my 40s.

Anyone else in/was in the same boat? Any success stories? If you were a late bloomer, when did your facial hair come through? When did it stop looking boyish and more like a man? Is there any hope for my baby face?

Disclaimer: If anyone replies to this please don't bother telling me you've been shaving since you came out the fucking womb. Dont say "facial/body hair isn't everything". Because it kind of is something. Girls get tits when they grow up. Men get beards. Imagine if your voice never broke? And I said to you "don't let it get to you, having a deeper voice isn't everything." Because it IS something. It's adult development. It can really make you feel down about yourself if in some way you haven't developed naturally/properly.

So before anyone says "oh but I have so much and have to shave every day", yeah well, my balls can sometimes be annoying since they grew and dropped in my teen years. Doesn't mean I don't fucking want them.

Deleted Account likes this.
  2. First of all, I love your handle. It works well on so many levels - your word-play is appreciated.

I feel your pain. I'm forty, and aside from a rather sketchy six-month period in my twenties, I've never had much in the way of facial hair. I remember seeing photos of my pisspoor attempt at a goatee, and I could see that it was never going to work. I don't have any personal success stories, and I know that in some parts of the world, how much of a man you are is determined by how lush your beard is. If it didn't have a good amount of grey hair, I'd look like the 40 year-old babyface you allude to. Most of the rest of my body hair is sparse, except in the one place I'd rather it not be. Grooming and shaving of my genitalia is an essential for me when in a relationship.

I'm sorry I can't give you any advice, but let you know you're not the only one.

Actually, this is something I have. I've started to realise that my voice comes off to high-pitched, and it doesn't convey enough depth for me to comfortably feel as a man. I'm trying to speak more from the chest, although it can be difficult at times. One of the downsides is that when I'm on the phone to someone I know, they ask if I'm coming down with a cold. That is depressing.

3. HotToddy

HotToddy Fapstronaut

Hey man, thanks for your response. Appreciate the kind words about my handle too haha!

So now at 40, what's your facial hair game like? If you grew it out would it be respectable or a bit like James Franco? Doesn't have to be lumberjack level but how would you say it is generally? And when in your twenties do you remember finally getting some on your cheeks?

Oddly enough, we share the same dilemma in having plenty of hair where we don't even want it, and yet the places we do want it are, as you said, pisspoor.

I'm not exactly Barry White either, my voice deepens and gets higher throughout the day. When it gets deep it's a level that is more than satisfactory, but when it's high I sound whiny, but I guess everyone hates the sound of their own voice.

I don't know if your voice problem is truly bad, or whether it's just a small insecurity. If I had any (bad) advice I'd say get on the straight whiskey and cigarettes. On the other hand, you can try vocal exercises. Some require you to exert a lot of force, kind of like a heavy metal scream, so you might want to use a pillow if you're within hearing distance. It basically warms up your vocal chords and the passage it comes through. Kind of like starting a car for the first time in a while, It's a bit jittery and crap until you give it a few revs and take it down a dual carriageway. Deep, controlled breaths and learning to speak from your diaphragm helps when speaking too

4. Mankrik

Mankrik Fapstronaut

I had hair in my ass before I could walk. In all seriousness though two of my friends who are in college have no facial hair/have never shaved and they both have girlfriends and I don't. Don't get hung up on this part of yourself. Embrace it and focus on the things in your control.

5. seaguy44

seaguy44 Moderator Assistant

Does your father and brothers have the same issue? It could be genetic.

Check your testosterone levels and see if it is a contributing factor to the lack of the facial hair.

Lazarus Shuttlesworth likes this.
  6. Chris3000

Chris3000 Fapstronaut

I'm 21 and my "beard" is pubey if you get the picture. I have naturally oily skin and I've been told that it helps with looking younger as you age (not sure how true this is). Anyways I appreciate the baby face.

7. I definitely recall not having any hair on my cheeks. I recall one photo of myself and a friend, taken in the morning after the nightclub we were at decided to close. I think the adjective I thought to myself about it was 'dodgy', and it wasn't because we'd drunk too much, or were sleep-deprived. It was just a rather sorry looking goatee.

I generally shave every few days, but I can assure you that even now there is a lack of stubble on my cheeks. I guess I could make an effort to grow my facial hair out a bit, but given past experiences I'm naturally a bit gun-shy.

Actually, straight whiskey is something I really enjoy. I also smoke an occasional cigar, which I know deepens my voice. Needless to say, I'm avoiding such lovely things for a while. I'll give your exercises a try, because there a definitely times when I'll be by myself and shout my lungs out. I'm also trying to practice diaphragm breathing more, which is something I picked up 20 years ago from a room mate.

8. Speshal_K_1997

Speshal_K_1997 Fapstronaut

Inject testosterone my nigga... is da only way

9. JustinX

JustinX Fapstronaut

If the beard is your biggest worry in life why dont you go for beard transplant?
    [​IMG]
    The technique improved significantly in last 5 years. Nowadays they mostly transplant the hair from back of your head to the chin and cheeks as it looks very natural this way. So you dont need to have even any hair on your beard for this. Just dont go to make it done in UK or USA were it is crazy expensive, you can go for example to Turkey where you can have very decent job for 1500 - 2000 euros and one life problem easily solved.

10. u376

u376 Fapstronaut

Same here
    But my legs are very hairy
    And I have 4-5 hair on my chest
    And my moustache is missing in middle
    And my beard does not grow on cheeks
    Sad part is even after 120 days there is not much improvement

HotToddy likes this.
  11. Dr. Jekyll

Dr. Jekyll Fapstronaut

On youtube, do a search for "minoxidil beard."

Here is a good example (although keep in mind that he was trimming/shaving his growth, which I think can kind of set back results. If you want to grow hair, let it grow.):

12. Since high school I’ve alwyas had some amount of facial hair. I stared out just having awkward sideburns but as I kept shaving and trimming over the years I now have a decent beard. It really is all genetics. The only thing I would recommend is biotin but that just makes the hair you already have stronger and thicker. It won’t make new hair follicles grow on your chin.

I wish there was a way where you can just take a pill with no side effects and you’ll end up having a big full thick beard in a couple of weeks lol

Btw there’s a beard thread full of fapstronauts posting their beards. Post in here and maybe someone in that thread has a success story you were looking for.
    https://www.nofap.com/forum/index.php?threads/the-beard-thread.53612/

Mankrik and Deleted Account like this.
  13. HotToddy

HotToddy Fapstronaut

My dad isn't hairy, but he grew a small beard once and I laughed pretty hard. But it was because it was white/grey in a lot of areas and just messy as hell.

Grandad was clean shaven, so never really knew about his facial hair.

Great grandad I only have one picture of from serving in the war. He had a small, Almost french-like tache but it was quite thick.

I know I don't have low testosterone lol why else would I be on nofap? Haha

Deleted Account and u376 like this.
  14. HotToddy

HotToddy Fapstronaut

I have being baby faced. Gets brought up a lot especially if I'm with bearded people. I actually have dry skin as opposed to oily.

15. HotToddy

HotToddy Fapstronaut

I'd say try it at least once especially with the age you're at. Everyone hits an awkward stage when growing any kind of hair out, just requires patience. Smaller hair should fill in gaps as you let them grow out. Do you think you could grow a solid tache?

Hitting the gym and lifting weights also helps boost testosterone and will deepen your voice too. Wish you all the best, hopefully there is light at the end of the tunnel for both of us.

16. HotToddy

HotToddy Fapstronaut

Even if I had the money I'd at least wait until I'm 30. Facial hair doesn't stop getting thicker and more course until your 40s. Just seems unnatural and slightly pathetic. Feel like I'd be cheating my way into something I should have developed naturally.

17. HotToddy

HotToddy Fapstronaut

Minoxidil can have (and leave you) with very bad side effects. From balding on the head to heart/chest pains and palpitations. Don't think it's worth the risk.

4DCreator likes this.
  18. You just gotta accept and embrace it, but I would also add you may develope the capacity to grow a full beard in a few years. I barely had anything at 22 and now at 30 I can finally pull off a decent 5-oclock shadow after a couple days...no full beard but at least a slight rugged look. I also developed a sensitive skin issue in the facial area so not having to shave often is super beneficial.
    A close colleague right out of college had less than I was able to grow at 23 (again not much) and by 25 at his wedding he was able to sport a full beard.
    Either way don't sweat it you cant change it. Embrace the baby face, as you age your facial features will sink and make you look much older with or without facial hair and you'll miss the baby face.
    Last, give yourself a month see what grows just id recommen using a trimmer and a number 1 or 1/2 attachment to not look like the prepubscent teen who does shave. Hair follicles restart growth in different cycles so may take em awhile to all start to show. Plus as I understand trimming helps hair keep from fraying and stalling growth

19. HotToddy

HotToddy Fapstronaut

Thanks for this man, much appreciated. I was sort of a late bloomer in school but not this late. In terms of voice development, I actually developed first out of my friends. I also started to show adulthood physique before them too. I think I was a little bit later on pubes (I know it sounds weird but my friends were desperate to know who had pubes and who didn't) but yeah at 21 I would have expected even a slight bit of hair on my cheeks but none at all :(

20. HotToddy

HotToddy Fapstronaut

So when did yours finally start to come through? Did you have a random growth spurt in hair? As for shaving often, wouldn't bother me. I'd have a full beard if I could. Maybe about an inch long.

The hair I do have on my chin, under my lip and above my lip is currently at around 1cm. But there's so few hairs that it's barely noticeable unless we're speaking face to face. I've let it grow to about 2cm but it just looks stupid.