1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Advise to expand social life?

Discussion in 'Loneliness' started by Moscote7, Dec 7, 2018.

1. Moscote7

Moscote7 New Fapstronaut

I am 24, a graduate school student in Architecture. I am writing my thesis now, so I spend lots of time by myself at writing. Other form the thesis, I hit the gym every morning at 6 to 8, I have Japanese classes 2 times a week.

I have not having any sort of social life for almost 2 years, I think I've only hang with my friends (in other cities) may about 5 times for the last year. Only on special occasions they came to visit me.

I actually suffer from social anxiety for a long time, it's the main reason I want to stop PMO.

I want to expand my social life, I don't think that spend the whole month by myself is healthy.

Is it a good idea to approach girls at the gym or the Japanese class ? Since I don't want it to become awkward, so I have to change a gym or class....

I do get to know a few guys at the gym eventually we said good morning and maybe have some small talk about working out, nothing more.

Any advise for me to expand my social life? I guess I've been living alone for too long that this life routine is a really strong habit.

Atlanticus likes this.
  2. Atlanticus

Atlanticus Moderator Assistant
    NoFap Defender

Thanks for the intro; sounds real.

So... to me it all depends on the _actual_ agenda. If _social_ life is really meant to be social, it's one thing; if the top priority is sexual, it's another.

Personally -- and this is coming from a guy who's "never met a stranger" I'd stick to the former, for now. By all means we should talk to girls if/when we enjoy doing so, but more importantly we should talk to _people_ of all kinds... and see what happens. The trick to getting a social life is to _give_ people real communication; feel free to initiate, but keep it light and real - especially real.

Those who respond will. Those who appreciate it will show it. No need to push. I can hardly step into a coffee shop without a conversation or an exchange of address or something, but it's gotta be a two-way street, not a personal "must have." If we keep it light the first time, we'll quickly notice who'll respond well the next time we meet.

I think it's a good idea, therefore, to hang out in a particular place -- or 2 or 3 -- regularly. Do some work in a coffee shop?

Good luck!

3. Moscote7

Moscote7 New Fapstronaut

Thanks~

These are good advises for me to practice. I am looking for both kind of agendas. But I don't want to set any presumptions or limits to any encounter or individuals.

So thanks for the tip to keep it light and real~ Also I have to be patient, to realized that these changes shall take times.

I think I will take my readings to a cafe or some other places but my working space. Since I prefer absolute solitude when I am writing.
    For now I'll tried to open up some of my daily routines rather then finding new stuff to do. One step a time~

Atlanticus likes this.
  4. Individuate

Individuate Fapstronaut

First thing: get rid of the Social Anxiety by any means you can.
    There's many ways. Research.
    I could not function before with extreme anxiety, now IDGAF.
    Try to get rid of it then you can do anything.
    Try meditation.