1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

A Success Story of Sorts

Discussion in 'Success Stories' started by Buzz Lightyear, Mar 15, 2017.

1. Buzz Lightyear

Buzz Lightyear Fapstronaut

After a year of both extended periods of activity and lapses here at Nofap I have a success story of sorts to report.

The essence of my recovery from addiction was a disconnect from thinking more time here was better. Yes, the more I lapsed from Nofap, the less I lapsed from not fapping!! Theoretically, you would think that the more time spent here, the better right? But the exact converse worked out for me in practice. Here is my reason why that might be so.

The obvious problem with coming to this site too often is that fapping takes center place in our mind. What may be required for a lot of people is a distraction from fapping, where, believe it or not, we come to forget about the topic of fapping altogether. This takes a practical approach to the problem rather than a theoretical one. Actually, i think this focus on the theory is a huge part of the problem. The self has disconnected itself from the passions to the point where they wage war on each-other.

Addicts need to take practical measures to re-create a healthy unified self. If an addict can not control himself... the self itself must be changed. Until that happens, everything else may be futile.

What stops most from changing their self? I'd suggest, in a word, ego!

Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
  2. Buzz Lightyear

With most vices we identify the problem in excess. The solution, or the path to the solution, then lies in moderation. If part of the problem for addicts is having their addiction held before them center stage 24/ 7 then part of the solution will involve reducing this exposure. With this is mind, try visiting this site only once or twice a week, and distract yourself with other activities, or just life, with the time you have gained.

3. Kedge>

Kedge> New Fapstronaut

That's a great insight Buzz! However, I must say anecdotally, seeing other people's success/relapse stories on this site has never consciously given me urges. Nor would I even say that it subconsciously gave me urges either as I don't ever tend to masturbate within a given week of visiting this site. I would have to say that if my method of abstaining was - not ever thinking about the topic in any light, then it probably would be an exercise in futility. My urges are usually triggered by rather obvious sexual factors throughout the day and this site is a good reminder that the urges are very normal. But I am only one person - you're probably right about a lot of others out there.
    Good thoughts though, thanks for sharing!

acosme and AlphaIntrinsic like this.
  4. Buzz Lightyear

Thanks for the thought. Yes, there seems to be different blueprints for different people. Perhaps the more you have going on in your life, the less time you are going to spend here anyway. I think there are many that visit this site daily, and would find it difficult to refrain for a week, as you appear to be able to do so. Personally, I find visiting this site daily a lot easier now that the urge seems more controlled... no, should I say weakened. All the best~~

ontheway and Kedge> like this.
  5. choosingbetter

choosingbetter Fapstronaut

In a funny way, I see what you're saying. I've been on the site daily for just over a week and seeing it has definitely introduced a lot of different PMO-related thoughts that weren't there the week before. Most of them are beneficial for sure (like thoughts about success stories I never imagined before) but the other side is that the subject of PMO is more in my awareness than otherwise.

On the whole it's been more beneficial. And yet--I'd be lying if I didn't say how I saw that I personally can use this site as another type of distraction, albeit a mostly benign one. It would extreme to call it a kind of cross-addiction (like an alcoholic taking up smoking while in rehab), but I can see it being in the ball park.

But again, that's me personally. "Binging on recovery" is probably the best binging to do for me in a weak moment. And I will say that when I first joined the site I was in cravings mode, and I haven't had any real desire for P since keeping time here. It's like coming and participating is a relatively easy way to keep my head out of the gutter, even if at the price of being more "in the PMO world" than otherwise.

Interesting post, in any case. I'm glad you posted.

Kedge> and Buzz Lightyear like this.
  6. Buzz Lightyear

Thanks for the thoughts Choosingbetter. The way it worked for me was a 'three-pronged approach' [tm^^].

1] Education. Visit this site daily, learn as much as you can. Understand it at the rational level.
    2] Development. Go away, work on yourself, pursue worthier hobbies/ interests, develop better tastes, develop your inner life
    3] Discipline. With the back of the addiction now broken, come back and polish the beast off once and all with the discipline/ community this site offers.

Of course these three stages are not so clearly demarcated... more like three strands of an intertwined rope. But the focus on each specific strand changes as you develop towards becoming an ex-addict.

All the best~~

Day 34

Present Kid and choosingbetter like this.
  7. AlphaIntrinsic

AlphaIntrinsic Fapstronaut

I am grateful for this site. My daily visit remind me that I'm not alone. I do not have power over my addiction. But we do.

Buzz Lightyear likes this.
  8. Buzz Lightyear

Sure, but it helps to remain wary of the dynamic of 'group think'... or of identifying yourself as a victim.. or as an addict [you have an addiction, you are not necessarily an addict for life.. it can be broken]. This can lead to an endless cycle of use.

Virtue lies in moderation.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
    Present Kid likes this.
  9. Buzz Lightyear

1 and 2 act like a 'pincer movement' on addiction. It is a 'double whammy', whereby you exert self-control whilst seeing the desire for P eroded due to pleasure taken in worthier pursuits.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
    Present Kid likes this.
  10. Spirale

Spirale Fapstronaut

I have to agree with you @Buzz Lightyear, and well put. For a long time i wiuld frequent this site multiple times daily while also trying to keep a running journal. In a way though fapping stayed at the forefront of my mind. Nofap became my go to distraction from day to day boredom. I deemed this okay for a long time as it was supportive toward my change, though i wasnt actually succeeding in that change as well as i would have liked. I dont think nofap was a trigger, but by frequenting the site it was keeping me actively engaged with the addiction. I decided to step away from it and i acheived my longest streak. I found it peaceful to remove any topic of fapping from the forefront of my mind and just rest.

I have recently relapsed and am again finding it useful to be back on nofap reading the accounts of others, their struggles, successes, and the never-ending amount of tips and insights to inspire us knowing we are not alone and there is hope.

So for me i think nofap is a valuable tool in conscious raising, useful to inspire and remind myself at times of confusion why this is the direction i choose to walk. But i dont know if it is healthy for me to keep the topic of fapping at the centre of my day. Instead i will focus and actively engage in the change i wish to achieve which does not include fapping, so why should it be at the centre of my thoughts?

acosme and choosingbetter like this.
  11. Buzz Lightyear

Yes, it was like the little boy who was fascinated with the game of tennis, who sat in a shed with a book he'd found on all the rules of tennis, and its greats! Day on day, he sat there reading... and never went out onto the court to actually learn the skill of playing.:oops:

I mean, there is a crash course to learn for sure, but then you just got to go and develop other skills in your life. That way, sapping the strength of the addiction [by taking pleasure in alternative activities] doubles up with a rational resolve against it. I am sure the math geeks could work out an algorithm here. In relative terms, your rational resolve becomes exponentially stronger when the addiction is weakened. And then a virtuous feedback loop occurs where the addiction just shrivels up and dies.

A new motto? Sap fap!

Present Kid and Spirale like this.
  12. I remember your posts; insightful as always. I agree that moderation is the key and an addiction to Nofap can be wasted energy. It's delicate though; such a helpful resource is the key ingredient to many of us beating our PMO addiction. As far as addictions go, it's a relatively helpful one...as long as you're not on here 24/7.

Present Kid and Buzz Lightyear like this.
  13. AlphaIntrinsic

AlphaIntrinsic Fapstronaut

If moderation were possible for me, I would not need a support group to abstain from an addiction. For me it's very black and white. One PMO session is too many, a thousand never enough.

14. Buzz Lightyear

Yes, if you are at the first educational phase, you need as much support as you can get here. But once educated, you need to start making some progress, i.e. weaning yourself off the site and making your way in the world, rebuilding your life etc. Then come back again to share your progress. It all depends where you are in the process.

15. choosingbetter

choosingbetter Fapstronaut

I agree with you, and the fact that everyone is at different stages of both addiction and recovery, your insightful three-pronged approach described earlier is probably weighted differently for some than others.

That said, I too hesitate to use the word moderation when it comes to behavior with addictive patterns attached. (I know a guy with a drinking problem who proclaims moderation because he "only" gets hammered on the weekend--every weekend.)

Thankfully, my addiction won't destroy my liver and kill me if I slip up but I agree that my head is just a better place when I keep it black-and-white and just don't do it. But perhaps when I'm like you and I've had a lot more PMO-free days behind me I'll have a different view. Great line of discussion in any case, and congrats on your level of recovery.

Buzz Lightyear likes this.
  16. Buzz Lightyear

Thanks for the thoughts @choosingbetter. As for moderation, it lies in the virtue not in the vice... that is, in your frequenting this site, and of course dependent on your particular stage of recovery. The vice is to be eradicated [there is no room for moderate use of anything inherently vicious]. Any form of excess, from the 'golden mean' point of view, such as puritanical zeal, is to be discouraged.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
  17. Buzz Lightyear

I know a lot of time P addiction is compared to alcoholism, and there are parallels to be drawn insofar as they are both addictions. However, when we look at P use and having a quiet drink, the parallel seems to break down. I am not looking at it from the addict's perspective here, but from the general point of view. They seem to be different in kind; where one is inherently bad, the other doesn't look shady at all - on the contrary, it looks beneficial.

I guess what I'm saying is that only the recovering P addict, like the recovering alcoholic, is going to have a zero tolerance policy toward these things these days. But from the non-addicts perspective things look differently. It depends on your moral values here, and maybe there is a reason why any use of P is considered inherently vicious for some... such as myself. It is only the fanatical Puritan who has the same opinion about alcohol.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
  18. Spirale

Spirale Fapstronaut

@Buzz Lightyear are you talking golden ratio here?

19. Buzz Lightyear

People often confuse the doctrine of moderation, or the 'golden mean' as applicable to vice. This is a mistake as the doctrine is referring to virtue. Why is that? Have we lost sight of virtue?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_mean_(philosophy)